Zipline Fatality

Does RCI go to this island?

I'm wondering - what would the difference be between this excursion and a ship sponsored excursion?

Does RCI make sure everything is safe to US standards or do they simply hook up with the best agency on the island? I was thinking if it was just a locally owned/operated agency doing it, perhaps they wouldn't be under as strict guidelines as a cruise sponsored agency might be...?

My DH plays bridge at the same club as her parents, so he learned about this last night. Evidently her husband and children were watching when the line broke -- I can't imagine how horrifying that must have been. I always disagreed with my dad when he chided me for riding dirt bikes but he felt strongly that as parents we should avoid risky activities if we still had children to raise. Maybe he was right? It's so very sad.....

My DH plays bridge at the same club as her parents, so he learned about this last night. Evidently her husband and children were watching when the line broke -- I can't imagine how horrifying that must have been. I always disagreed with my dad when he chided me for riding dirt bikes but he felt strongly that as parents we should avoid risky activities if we still had children to raise. Maybe he was right? It's so very sad.....

Oh how sad!! My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

###

I've never really understood the zip-line concept--are you supposed to be viewing native wildlife, or is it an "amusement" ride??? I mean, folks pay ALOT of money for a 3 min(?) ride on a wire? I just don't get it! What's the draw??

It's a bit of both- wildlife viewing AND amusement ride. And yes, it IS alot of money, but it's not a 3 minute ride. Most of the zipline tours last close to an hour. I've done them in Costa Rica, Jamaica and St. Martin, and they are great fun! In Costa Rica and Jamaica we had guides with us every step of the way, and they were big on the safety aspect (St. Martin, not so much! It was more like an obstacle course, and we felt like the guides abandoned us midway. If we hadn't done one before, I would have been worried!)

It's so sad.

Three years ago there was a lot of discussion on cc boards about parasailing ropes & harness safety inspections. Most members said that inspections were held often in the United States and on cruiselines' private islands, but in foreign countries and islands, inspections were not mandatory.

That's what I like about these boards. Members share information and try to help each other out. I wonder if this is a similar situation regarding safety inspections?

Either way, no matter what caused her death, my heart goes out to her family and friends. :(

Well, DO THEY???

They did on the zip in Icy Strait Point last year. If your weight was in the green section, you were good to go. No numbers were on the scale.

As for St. Martin and PV, I don't recall seeing a scale at all.

thats terrible...

not sure I will cxl any plans for future ziplines b/c of it though...I may pass on it if I go to Honduras, but when we did it in Jamaica we felt very safe. The guides were good, and the equipment seemed to be very well maintianed

They did on the zip in Icy Strait Point last year. If your weight was in the green section, you were good to go. No numbers were on the scale.

As for St. Martin and PV, I don't recall seeing a scale at all.

Okay, thank you.

My heart and prayers go out to the family of the woman who was so tragically hurt on the zipline.

While my heart felt condolences go out to the family:(, we need to put this incident in perspective.

1. Out of all the zip lines in the Caribbean (not to mention how many folks participate), how many fatalities besides this one can you recall?:confused:

2. Zip lines are meant for the adventurous / adrenalin junkies:eek:. There is an element of risk. For that matter, there's an element of risk just driving to work ... that's probably riskier.

I, for one, will not let one incident affect my decision to do something. On the other hand, if this were a trend it would be totally different. But it's not ... so let the zipping begin:D.

I've never really understood the zip-line concept--are you supposed to be viewing native wildlife, or is it an "amusement" ride??? I mean, folks pay ALOT of money for a 3 min(?) ride on a wire? I just don't get it! What's the draw??

Just want you to know that you're not alone. We've never understood the appeal. I'm glad others enjoy it, but it's definitely not our cup of tea.

beachchick

I can't imagine what the family is going through...how horrible. We did this excursion in Jamaica last year and we were not weighed (no need for it we are both well below 200 lbs). The 2 guides we had seemed very good at what they do and the safety instructions were pretty good. We had the best time and would do it again in a heart beat. While the ziplines themselves are scary and risk-taking, I never felt scared that my harness or the line would break. Then again, this family never thought it would happen either probably....

When we were in Costa Rica a couple of years ago, I did a private zip-line tour. It wasn't a 3 minute "amusement" ride as you mentioned. This ride was a series of lines and platforms through the rain forest that took over an hour to complete. Compared to an extremely disappointing and expensive ship-sponsored excursion the day before, this was a bargain. I believe it was about $100 per person - maybe even less.

The tour we took was very professional and we were given detailed instructions before we were permitted to start. You could seriously hurt yourself if you didn't pay attention to the instruction. I don't know how you can tell the condition of the lines though. They looked sturdy and in good repair but you really can't be sure. Even so, this was the most fun excursion I have ever done and would still do it again given the chance.

2P.P1

We did South Shore Canopy on Roatan last August. The guides were professional, the harnesses appeared in top condition and the steel cables were HUGE. The guides attention to detail was very reassuring. Mr Wolf is 6'5 and probably around 240 - the line seemed just fine for him. My sincere condolences to this family. We can only hope that a positive will come from this - that the zip line operators will institute regular safety inspections and destroy any harnesses that show wear and tear and that they will triple check that all harnesses are attached properly. Very sad.

This is a very unfortunate accident, but things like this are going to happen. What a terrible thing for the family to go through.

I've ziplined in Costa Rica and it took over an hour to complete the 13 platform course so I'm not sure what you meant by 3 minutes.

It is one of the most exciting things I've ever experienced on a cruise and would do it again in a second.

Aubie

This is a very unfortunate accident, but things like this are going to happen. What a terrible thing for the family to go through.

I've ziplined in Costa Rica and it took over an hour to complete the 13 platform course so I'm not sure what you meant by 3 minutes.

It is one of the most exciting things I've ever experienced on a cruise and would do it again in a second.

Aubie

The poster is probably thinking of the ziplines in Labadee and Icy Strait Point. They are just one long zip. I believe the one in ICP is about 1 minute 30 seconds. I did it, and it was a thrill!:)

When we were in Costa Rica a couple of years ago, I did a private zip-line tour. It wasn't a 3 minute "amusement" ride as you mentioned. This ride was a series of lines and platforms through the rain forest that took over an hour to complete. Compared to an extremely disappointing and expensive ship-sponsored excursion the day before, this was a bargain. I believe it was about $100 per person - maybe even less.

The tour we took was very professional and we were given detailed instructions before we were permitted to start. You could seriously hurt yourself if you didn't pay attention to the instruction. I don't know how you can tell the condition of the lines though. They looked sturdy and in good repair but you really can't be sure. Even so, this was the most fun excursion I have ever done and would still do it again given the chance.

2P.P1

Actually, the cost for the Jungle Breezes Zipline was an additional $40 on top of the $40/ person paid for the Oscar tour.

By the way, I can still see your face zipping toward the platform on that first long run. :eek:

Aubie

Archived