Dubrovnik Visit

Do people think that the ship will have on offer a shuttle to the Old Town of Dubrovnik? or do we get a taxi or bus?

Can anyone comment on how hard it is to get a ferry to Cavat from Dubrovnik? Is it worth seeing?

Does the ship dock in Gruz or somewhere else? I have read most of the cruise ships dock in Gruz.

Cheers

Ben

Hi Ben,

When we visited Dubrovnik last year on Brilliance, they offered us a shuttle to the old walled city for US$8 each. You must take your passport with you as well. It is an amazingly well preserved city. You will enjoy it.

Sorry I can't answer your other questions. We docked near a big bridge - I know that is not much help! Your couldn't walk to the old city - it's quite a distance and uphill.

Do people think that the ship will have on offer a shuttle to the Old Town of Dubrovnik? or do we get a taxi or bus?

Can anyone comment on how hard it is to get a ferry to Cavat from Dubrovnik? Is it worth seeing?

Does the ship dock in Gruz or somewhere else? I have read most of the cruise ships dock in Gruz.

Cheers

Ben

If you've never been to Dubrovnik then exploring the city (and the walls) would fill up a day, but it can be very crowded. Ships either tender directly to the old town or dock a few miles away. If docked and they do not offer a shuttle there is a bus service (and a nearby bus station). Cavtat is breathtaking. Great little small town and no crowds. you can catch a ferry from the dock in the old town. I've included a link from our blog from our visit last summer. It was one of our favorite stops on the Adriatic

http://www.travelingwiththejones.com/?p=23

Check out my blog for our day in Dubrovnik;

http://calberrymedcruise.blogspot.com/2007_09_27_archive.html

We left the ship, walked about 100 yards, and there were several cabs waiting for passengers. We chatted briefly with the first driver in line, were impressed with his english, and asked if he could give us a panoramic tour of the area and then take us to the walled city. At the time (last Sept.) it was 50 Euro for an hour (there were 4 of us). It was GREAT. It made going into the walled city so much more meaningful!

Steve

Calberry- I'm a novice to these boards, but have been researching for Celebrity Summit cruise late June starts in Barcelona. I'm traveling with husband, my mom, 14yo and 12yo. My husband and son have never been to Europe. Your website is great. I'll spend more time on it later. Lots of info, but very readable. By the way, we're through the Caldecott Tunnel--Go Bears! I love the fact that you sit, eat and drink while in Port!

If you intend to walk the walls I would do this first and get there early. We were competing our walk when most others were starting. WE found it reasonably cool but it can get very hot in the middle of the day. There was a shuttle put on by the ship or you can use local bus or taxi. It is possible to change $s or Euros outside the dock gate as you need the local currency.

Ben

Cavtat is well worth the boat trip, a really pretty little waterfront town. There are boats running pretty much every hour to/from Cavtat from the little port area within the walls of Dubrovnik old town. I think it was 8euros one-way / 15euros return or something like that and it takes about 15-20mins each way.

Equally, Dubrovnik is a wonderul place to explore too!

Some ships dock in Gruz, or they anchor in the bay and you are tendered ashore into the port area within Old Dubrovnik. If your ship's schedule mentions a tender then this is what will happen, failing that the ships will dock at Gruz.

Calberry- I'm a novice to these boards, but have been researching for Celebrity Summit cruise late June starts in Barcelona. I'm traveling with husband, my mom, 14yo and 12yo. My husband and son have never been to Europe. Your website is great. I'll spend more time on it later. Lots of info, but very readable. By the way, we're through the Caldecott Tunnel--Go Bears! I love the fact that you sit, eat and drink while in Port!

We lived in Clayton for about 10 years, and our daughter is now in Walnut Creek. We LOVE that side of the tunnel (especially for the weather). But I work in the City and the DW in South City, so we live in Brisbane for the commute (or lack thereof!)

Enjoy your planning! As you can see, I did!!!

Steve

How was the weather for your cruise?

We really had great weather the whole time. Not too hot, and not too cool. We were prepared for both heat, cold and rain and all in all it couldn't have been better! Perfect time of the year to go to Europe as far as we were concerned.

Steve

Steve,

Thank you so much. I keep reading threads saying it is too hot to walk around at that time of year. I know no one can predict future weather, just trying to pack light as I can.

Happy cruising.

Luvcdays

Steve,

Thank you so much. I keep reading threads saying it is too hot to walk around at that time of year. I know no one can predict future weather, just trying to pack light as I can.

Happy cruising.

Luvcdays

I suspect that if you were to chart the range of temperatures for any given day in Oct. for the past few years you would see some very hot, and some very cold...just like California. So as long as you are prepared for any contingency it doesn't really matter. But I think we were lucky that it never got hotter than the high 70's (maybe it hit the low 80's...how would we know? But it was never an issue.)

Steve

Archived