Does anyone eat lunch after embarkation in the sit-down dining rooms vs. the buffet?

LakelandCat

Wow! That sounds great. Thanks for the tip. What is the main dining room on the Jewel?

On the Jewel the main rooms are the Azura & Tsar's. Tsar's is aft and is the one that was open when we cruised on the Jewel. It's a beautiful room!

Shhh, we need to keep this info a secret. We will be on the Gem in 2 weeks. Our bus will arrive (I think) around 1. Does anyone know how late we could arrive at the dining room for lunch? It does sound like a great way to start things off. Thanks, Kathy

The Grand Pacific was open from 12:30 to 2:30 on embarkation day.

We had lunch at Terraces on the Dream for lunch right after embarkation. In one of those believe it or not moments, the two Canadian women at our table and the woman from Argentina all had the same birthday as my wife. I should have run out and bought a lottery ticket.

Hi all! For some reason in all our cruises we never thought of eating lunch after first embarking in a sit-down dining room. Of course we are so hungry from being in the airports since early am that we go straight to the Garden Cafe for food ASAP. This will be a first cruise for my parent-in-laws so I thought maybe it would be nice for their first meal to be in the dining room instead of the crowded buffet the day we arrive. Is it true you can eat in one of the main dining rooms for lunch the day of arrival? Does anyone know the hours of operation? Thank you much...we are leaving in a weekon the Jewel. Happy cruising.

We were on the Spirit 2 weeks ago and, thanks to this board, knew to go to Windows for lunch. At the door to the restaurant, there was a staff member telling us there was pizza and such upstairs in the buffet, but when I asked if Windows was open, she cheerfully told me it was. We went and were three of about 25 people in there. It was a GREAT way to start the cruise.

I guess you can assume that the others passengers you see having lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day are probably readers of Cruise Critic or frequent NCL cruisers "in the know" ;)

Thanks for the heads up. We alway scrounge for seats in the buffet. This time we'll try for the DR.. :)

The reason they tell you to go to the buffet is because they also tell you the rooms won't be ready until 1:00 so they don't want all those people with their carry on's in the dinning room. The key is to go directly to your room and drop off your carry on's:D My husband has 2 carry on's and one weighs more then my bottom:eek: That's real heavy! Can you imagine everyone going in there with all that carry on:eek: What a mess. Not many people use the dinning room for lunch either, and there is always a seat! I hate getting my tray and then hunting for a table. You always find 1 person seating next to the window reading a BOOK?! What is up with that?

Happy cruising, Pam

The reason they tell you to go to the buffet is because they also tell you the rooms won't be ready until 1:00 so they don't want all those people with their carry on's in the dinning room. The key is to go directly to your room and drop off your carry on's:D My husband has 2 carry on's and one weighs more then my bottom:eek: That's real heavy! Can you imagine everyone going in there with all that carry on:eek: What a mess. Not many people use the dinning room for lunch either, and there is always a seat! I hate getting my tray and then hunting for a table. You always find 1 person seating next to the window reading a BOOK?! What is up with that?

Happy cruising, Pam

You always find one person "seating" next to the window, reading a book. You are kidding, right? Define "vacation", please.

You always find one person "seating" next to the window, reading a book. You are kidding, right? Define "vacation", please.

I think their point is that there are virtually no empty tables at the buffet, and someone who is not eating is using a table while they read...Why would you read in a restaurant when you could be enjoying a nice, quiet lounge, or relaxing in the sun and doing your reading? I would suspect it is because the reader has been assigned by their group to be the scout, has procurred the requested window table, and is waiting for their friends with food to relieve them of their duties.

Archived