Don't leave Jamaica without ________ souvenir??

Dizzyfun

My wife and I are going to Ocho Rios aboard the Grand Princess. As we've read a lot about the shady people in Jamaica, we've booked a shore excursion thatis going to St Ann's Bay,Fern Gully, and the Wassi Arts Pottery Works.

Other than maybe buying some pottery art, what is the one souvenir that you wouldn't leave Jamaica without?

Although they'll point out display plants at Choyoba Gardens the stuff is so significant to the Rasta heads.

But the island has a lot of hard working craftsmen so wood carvings, craft toys (they have a lot of interesting little stuff) - bargain, spices, coffee; liquors Tia Maria (coffee of course) but also look for Rumona (a rum liquor that's not available in the states generally).

If you're stopping at Ocho Rios, go into town, buy your Blue Mtn. Coffee in the grocery store--it'll be a lot cheaper than the stuff the sharpers on the corners will be selling it for! Go to the flea market and haggle (in a friendly way) with the vendors. Ignore the questions about ganja ("No, thanks, I don't smoke the ganja no more"). Get some real jerked chicken, goat, or fish at a jerk stand. Meet the people. Those will be your best souvenirs.

• 2 weeks later...
Can I ask what Rum Cream is?

Thanks

Sangsters Original Rum Cream is made with premium aged Jamaican Rum and blended with genuine cream, that creates an exceptionally magical taste of the Caribbean. Great with coffee, on the rocks or just by itself. Sipping on the rocks is our fav! We've also enjoyed on the rocks with a splash of soda.

• 8 months later...

'tis a shame there weren't more posters to answer your question. Most of them wanted you to pick up the consummables which might be gone a month after you return.

I too am interested in the Wassi pottery factory. The products on their web site look awesome and the prices are reasonable (kinda like Mirano glass). Maybe we can get some more input from someone else, or maybe you have returned and have some fresh information.

Archived