Babysitting on X

WineDown17

Hi,

we used this service (in cabin) quite a few times when our daughter was younger...so probably 11 to 6 years ago. There is the option of the slumber party in the kids room which is cheaper, but our DD needs her sleep to be delightful and cheery and was never a person to fall asleep in a room with 20 other kids and a movie playing. So we booked individually and were always very happy. Book early, especially for formal nights. Depending on the crew and number of kids, the willing sitters can book up fast. Basically, crew who worked in areas like laundry or food prep (we always had women, but I dont know if that is company policy or not) offer to do this for the extra $$. Ours were always very nice, professional and very quiet, sometimes with good English and sometimes with adequate but not great English skills. Sometimes our daughter would stay up with us, and sometimes we would all have an early night, and others we would book a sitter. We would usually dine with our daughter, go to the show together, then get her ready for bed and have the sitter come at 10 or so.. so sometimes DD would be asleep already, and if not the sitter might read her a story or two. Basically then the sitter just sat in the dark on a chair and waited until we got back. I am sure they dozed as they work such long hours and the sitting time is basically coming out of their sleep or limited personal time. We always suggested they should turn on the TV once DD was asleep, etc, but they never did. We paid cash at the time and would round up from the recommended amount. If your kids get to know one of the sitters you can ask for that person, but it depends on their work schedule. Once we asked one of the kids club staff if they were interested and they said they could not... so we werent sure if that meant they were not allowed or did not want to or were busy.

We are very over protective parents of an only child and I was always quite comfortable with the service... but just one caution, that this was a few years ago now and some things may have changed. One thing on a ship is that it is easy to book the sitter, then pop back into your cabin in an hour or two and see that things are as you want them to be... then go back to the dance floor or concert or show or whatever.

Thanks Kanuk- Your story is almost identical to that of my TA... and I am starting to think this may be a viable option

My son will be 2 when we do Europe next May, and I am thinking formal dining may not be his forte after long days in strange places..hence the idea of using a sitter for him while we dine, so he can go to bed. I am also guessing our compadres in the Dining Room will also appreciate if we abstain from bringing him to dinner if he will be disruptive.;) My 12 year old will also appreciate having special time with us.

Thus far my MIL has been his only sitter at home.. you can guess that I have been coddled! Thanks for sharing!

I used a sitter on the Mercury in June '06. I went as soon as we boarded to make arrangements for the nights that we wanted. I got the same woman ( Alba, from Columbia ) each time and she was wonderful. My son's situation was a little different from most as he was 15, but has Down Syndrome and preferred not to go to the dining room to eat, but stay back and just get a cheeseburger from room service and watch his videos. One time my older son went back to the room to deliver some chicken nuggets that the asst. maitre'd had made for him, and Alba was down on the floor on her hands and knees playing with my son. She was very sweet and my son enjoyed having her there. I paid in cash and added in a tip, and later in the cruise, Alba brought papers for me to sign I guess in order for her to get credit for the services.

I would use her services again in a heartbeat. It allowed me to enjoy the evenings on the ship without worrying about my son, or having to be in the cabin myself with him.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It truly brought tears to my eyes.

In the media today we are so deluged by horror stories, it makes us so cautious. But your experience shows that there are wonderful people out there.

And after DS temper tantrum at Easter Brunch today, I REALLY needed to hear a good recommendation for in cabin babysitting! LOL!

Archived