Good News

cruisebore

I have just been reading on the P&O board that carry on booze is to be banned on Ventura.

In my opinion this should have been the case years ago. I was getting fed up coming across people tanked up from duty free bought ashore. Also there were becoming too many freeloaders in the bars with their 'flasks' secreted in ladies handbag. Anecdotal, but you do hear of people who don't spend a dime on the ships; no tours and booze bought ashore.

Hopefully the ban will soon spread fleet wise.

Regards

Cb

This has been a big issue over on the Celebrity board (at least - possibly others as well) for the last year or two.

Most of those against the ban would retort that the alcohol they are bringing on board - typically at the start of the cruise - would be a bottle of spirits in order to enjoy a pre-dinner drink in the cabin/ on the balcony. Others (presumably wine connoisseurs) say that they want to bring their favourite, up-market wines aboard to drink at dinner. They don't mind paying a (reasonable) corkage charge, but definitely want to drink their favourite wines at dinner and now can't.

I can see both sides of the argument. I can see that the cruiseline wants to maximise revenue from beverage sales (I love that expression!) and also wants to avoid the 'drink a keg of beer before eating' syndrome. At the same time I can see the passengers' arguments.

Celebrity amended their policy slightly and now allow one bottle of wine per person (or is it two bottles?) to be bought on-board at the initial port of embarkation only. That seems to have satisfied many people. Do you know if P&O have the same policy?

I am disappointed if this is happening. Where abouts have you seen it? We always buy a bottle of wine to drink with dinner and have no problem with that, but we were planning to take a couple of bottles of wine and a small bottle of Baileys on board to have on the balcony. I doubt this has anything to do with people drinking too much, its much more to do with maximising income. One of the other US boards has some amazing ways of getting alcohol on board!

I have just been reading on the P&O board that carry on booze is to be banned on Ventura.

In my opinion this should have been the case years ago. I was getting fed up coming across people tanked up from duty free bought ashore. Also there were becoming too many freeloaders in the bars with their 'flasks' secreted in ladies handbag. Anecdotal, but you do hear of people who don't spend a dime on the ships; no tours and booze bought ashore.

Regards

Cb

Two things,

First I have never seen anyone on a ship 'tanked up' on cheap booze they have bought onshore.

Second the prices are so reasonable on P&O I have never seen the need to take any booze with me. I Buy a Litre bottle of Gin from the steward and that does us for in cabin entertainment.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I am disappointed if this is happening. Where abouts have you seen it? We always buy a bottle of wine to drink with dinner and have no problem with that, but we were planning to take a couple of bottles of wine and a small bottle of Baileys on board to have on the balcony. I doubt this has anything to do with people drinking too much, its much more to do with maximising income. One of the other US boards has some amazing ways of getting alcohol on board!

It was posted on Cruise Connections by a guy who received the information in a letter from P&O.

I can't say I am suprised

Regards

Cb

In our "holiday information" booklet for the Ventura maiden voyage, received this week, it says :

"Alcohol On Board

We have recently updated our policy on the responsible serving of alcohol and we reserve the right to confiscate alcohol at the gangway should the need arise It is not our intention to invole this policy as a matter of course and we will implement it only on occasions when we consider it is likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.

Passengers under the age of 18 will not be served alcoholic beverages onboard and must not be in possession of alcohol ..........Alcohol purchased ashore by those under 18 will be confiscated at the gangway "

So sounds OK for the over 18s.

I think the best thing is to wait and see what happens. If like Princess you will be able to buy small bottles of alcohol from room service, complete with mixers. And like most people it is nice to have a pre dinner drink whilst getting ready!!

I don't think that it is a case of freeloaders, each to their own I say. Some people go over the top on these boards saying how much their on board account is. Whether you spend alot of a little is up to you, after all you have paid for your cruise and what you spend is entirely up to you.

If I want to get tanked up while on holiday I will, and if I want to buy a good share of duty free while ashore and drink it on ship I will, and I if I want to spend a £1000 in the bar I will,,, Its not your ship, and what has it got to do with you what other people do anyway.

Barbadods duty free is my favorite.

If I want to get tanked up while on holiday I will, and if I want to buy a good share of duty free while ashore and drink it on ship I will, and I if I want to spend a £1000 in the bar I will,,, Its not your ship, and what has it got to do with you what other people do anyway.

Barbadods duty free is my favorite.

Totaly agree, but the ships in question do belong to P&O and using your analogy, if P&O want to ban people bringing Alchohol (Duty Free or not ) aboard there ships and drinking it on there ships, then they also have every right to do so.providing they make that clear before you purchase your ticket.

There was a big discussion about this matter on the P&O Cruise Connections board last year when P&O changed the policy on bringing Alcohol onboard their ships part way through the year and without notice.

The new rules stated that any alcohol brought onboard would be confiscated at the gangway and held for the duration of the cruise.

When contacted about the matter P&O stated that they would not impliment this policy unless a passenger was obviously intoxicated or trying to bring excessive amounts of alcohol onboard. They also stated that this would be the case through 2008.

I have not received anything along these lines for the Ventura Party Weekend in 3 weeks time and, as I am intending to take a couple of bottles of bubbly along with me to help with the party, I will find out what their stand will be at the gangway.

I am sure this is just a statement on paper to cover all eventualities and that nothing will happen to the majority of passengers who are taking on a couple of bottle or a wine box for in cabin consumption.

Feebee_71 :)

P&O reserve the right to confiscate any alcohol off a passenger.

In practise, what this means is:

Anyone who is drunk and disorderly, or has a reputation for being d&d.

Under 18s, or those who it is believed are supplying it to under 18s.

Those bringing it on board by the pallet load.

~~~

On our last cruise we brought on board c.12 bottles of fine wine from home and consumed these in the dining room paying the prevailing corkage charge. If P&O were to improve their wine range (more depth and less of the "Cook's World Tour") the amount we would bring on board would diminish. We also bought additional wine & champagne from the ship as well as at the bars during the day and evening. We also bought 2 ltr from the ship of duty-free spirits for take home.

At the last Spanish port-of-call we also bought duty-paid in the EU circa 12 litres of spirits, for take home which spent the last 3 or 4 days of the cruise under the bed.

We don't drink in our cabin but see no issue with those who like to have a drink or two before dinner whilst getting ready or when sunbathing during the day on their private balcony.

~~~

Just as it is right that P&O should deal with disruptive smokers who light up in non-smoking areas (the vast majority of the ship) or toss their butts overboard, it is right and proper that P&O deal with any disruptive drinkers, whether they buy their drink from the ship or bring it on board, as well as under 18s.

In our "holiday information" booklet for the Ventura maiden voyage, received this week, it says :

"Alcohol On Board

We have recently updated our policy on the responsible serving of alcohol and we reserve the right to confiscate alcohol at the gangway should the need arise It is not our intention to invole this policy as a matter of course and we will implement it only on occasions when we consider it is likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.

Passengers under the age of 18 will not be served alcoholic beverages onboard and must not be in possession of alcohol ..........Alcohol purchased ashore by those under 18 will be confiscated at the gangway "

So sounds OK for the over 18s.

I've just checked and this is exactly the same wording as in the pando brochure from which we chose our cruise. So nothing has really changed. As with so many things, common sense prevails.

Regards

Cb

Sorry , don't agree

I haven't seen people 'tanked up' from duty free brought ashore...how do you know this??? could they not of drunk booze onboard??? The only people I have seen carrying on large amounts of booze are the crew!!!!

We shared a shuttle bus back from Barcelona last summer and the crew had carrier bags full of lager from a Carrefour supermarket.

I take on a 3litre winebox just for in-cabin balcony drinking, a couple of glasses a day...it cost me £16 I get about 15 glasses out of it. If I had to pay £5 a glass that would be £75 AND i would have to wait for room service to bring it -yawn -.

I do still buy wine with dinner every night at £13.50 a bottle and drinks on sea days from the bars so they still get their money out of me... it would be a damn shame if this stopped,:mad:

I haven't heard of anyone else getting this info, this is what the post said...

Ventura, Alcohol and Smoking policy. Message:With our preview tickets today, we recieved the following statement:=

SMOKING POLICY

For the safety, comfort and enjoyment of all our passengers and guests, and in view of direct feedback we have received from them, P&O Cruises has reviewed and amended its smoking policy. On board Ventura smoking will not be permitted in cabins. Smoking will be allowed on cabin balconies, on designated areas of the open decks and in the designated smoking area, The Exchange. Please note that The Exchange is the only designated smoking area within the ship.

RESPONSIBLE ALCOHOL POLICY

We have recently updated our policy on the responsible serving of alcohol. We wish to advise that passengers are not permitted to bring on board any alcohol for personal consumption. All alcohol will be held under bond and returned at disembarkation. Please note that all luggage, including hand luggage, will be x rayed at embarkation. P&O Cruises reserves the right to confiscate alcohol at the gangway should the need arise.

P&O Cruises also reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger for any reason, particularly if they believe they are suffering from the effects of excess alcohol. It is prohibited for those under 18 to attempt to obtain alcohol on board.

I wonder if this is just for the Ventura PREVIEW party?

Anyone else had this letter for a proper Ventura cruise?

I am on Arcadia in 6 weeks time and will be taking my winebox with me, I'll let you know if it is confiscated.

Sue

In the US what started happening was that cruisers have been arriving with large Cool Boxes full of drink !!! as only the yanks would do.... and then consume it on board and leave the box behind. Guess they are so cheap out there its not worth carrying it home !!! of course on board spends then go down when everyone starts doing this... of course they could put up the price of the cruises !!!!!!!!!!!

I don't see what the problem is for most people. Having a bottle of your favourite tipple in your cabin either for pre-dinner drinks or a nightcap seems acceptable. We are joining Arcadia next month (Our first P&O cruise) and our preference is for a pre-dinner drink in a bar which has a convivial atmosphere ( any other QE2 devotees will be thinking of the Chart Room) and will be looking for just that. Anyone with hands on experience of Arcadia please post your favourites.

I haven't heard of anyone else getting this info, this is what the post said...

Ventura, Alcohol and Smoking policy. Message:With our preview tickets today, we recieved the following statement:=

RESPONSIBLE ALCOHOL POLICY

We have recently updated our policy on the responsible serving of alcohol. We wish to advise that passengers are not permitted to bring on board any alcohol for personal consumption. All alcohol will be held under bond and returned at disembarkation. Please note that all luggage, including hand luggage, will be x rayed at embarkation. P&O Cruises reserves the right to confiscate alcohol at the gangway should the need arise.

P&O Cruises also reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger for any reason, particularly if they believe they are suffering from the effects of excess alcohol. It is prohibited for those under 18 to attempt to obtain alcohol on board.

I wonder if this is just for the Ventura PREVIEW party?

Anyone else had this letter for a proper Ventura cruise?

Sue

Sue,

As you know I am booked on the Ventura Party Weekend and have received my tickets.

There is nothing in the information about this change in policy. According to the person who originally posted about receiving this (on another site) it was as a flyer with their preview tickets. I wonder if this is for the Ventura viewing tours and not any of the cruises.

Sue,

As you know I am booked on the Ventura Party Weekend and have received my tickets.

There is nothing in the information about this change in policy. According to the person who originally posted about receiving this (on another site) it was as a flyer with their preview tickets. I wonder if this is for the Ventura viewing tours and not any of the cruises.

Hope So feebee, can't wait to hear your review of Ventura

Sue xx

I don't normally do the 'trips' ashore preferring to book my own. I find them too restricting and sometimes quite expensive for what you get. Perhaps I had better change my habits as I don't want to be known as a 'freeloader'.

Happy Cruising

Hi,

This was posted on another cruise site where the original post was discussed.

The person contacted P&O for confirmation about the wording on the flyer and this is what they posted when they heard back from P&O...........

I have had a prompt reply from P&O, re the alcohol policy, looks like we are OK for the time being.:-

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that you can bring your own alcohol on board, providing it is

only wine or champagne. However, there is a £5 corkage fee for any wine

brought on board if it is to be consumed in one of the restaurants. In

addition, wines, spirits and cigarettes can be purchased on board and

anything ordered from the list in your cabin via your cabin steward will be

delivered to your cabin.

However, in accordance with the Responsible Serving of Alcohol policy, we

do reserve the right to confiscate alcohol bought ashore, should the need

arise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of

course, and will only implement it on the occasions where we consider the

health, comfort, safety or enjoyment of all on board our vessels to be

compromised.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and look forward

to welcoming you on board soon.

Kind regards

Julia Harris

P&O Cruises

Carnival UK

Looks as if nothing has changed for cruises, for the time being at least!!

The previous reply has clearly set out what has been the case all along.

The policy is for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Having taken advantage of the BYO corkage, I am however surprised that it seems to have gone down in price. My recollection was it was £7.50 in 2006 and my understanding was that this had since gone up.

Hi we have been on quite a few cruises with P&O and I have never seen anyone drunk onboard, we dont go to bed before midnight and we do wander all around the ship. Are we just lucky?? We have usually been on Oriana and once on Oceana. We havent even seen anyone the worse for wear and as I dont drink alcohol Im sure I would have seen them.

I have only seen the odd one or two on a few cruises ("normal" length cruises) EXCEPT on two out of four party cruises that I have been on, where there was a significant minority worse for wear.

I recall on a 22 nighter on Canberra (our 1st P&O cruise) two very loud drunks at dinner on the table adjacent to us on the last night being spoon-fed by their "lady-companions", complete with napkins (as bibs) tucked into their collars.

Some thought it was funny as apparently did their "lady-companions".

Archived