Translation book

How important is it to have a handy little translation book with you in Italy?

We will be spending most of our cruise in Italian ports so I am wondering if it is to our advantage to able to show the respect of attempting to speak the language? We did this in France and were very surprised as to how many do speak english after you made a heart worthy attempt to speak French.

Thanks

We were in Venice, Burano, Murano, Naples and Rome and managed very well with just knowing the basic Italian phrases such as por favore, grazie, buon giorno, etc. We did go off the beaten track a few times and found that sometimes in small local restaurants, the server's command of the English language was sometimes minimal but we were still able to communicate. There is usually someone nearby who will try to be helpful. Most of the people who you will encounter around the ports are used to dealing with tourists, but if you have a language guide to help with translations I'm sure that would be very helpful.

I like to have one of the Berlitz books in my pocket for the menu section, and to flag a few critical phases (where is the bathroom, take me to the airport). I don't actually use it that much, but having it handy makes me feel more secure. May just be my craziness.

I agree with the above poster. A few key phrases is all you need.

I researched online before we left and wrote them on an index card. Didnt take ANY room up in my purse.

We were in Italy, Croatia, Greece, France and Spain.

Also we were there the very end of Nov/beginning of Dec and every country I went to I asked "how do you say....Merry Christmas" I know I butchered most of the pronunciations but everyone had a good laugh at my expense but everyone was warm and friendly....

** Just a side note.....you will be amazed at how many Europeans not only speak English but quite a few other languages as well. For the most part really makes us Americans look like dummies :D me included.

I found this great site that has key phrases printed on one foldable sheet. I have used it for all our travels. Takes up no room and has all the essential phrases. I have attached a link to the Italian version.

If you are more concerned about ordering something exotic on the menu then get one of the Berlitz or Rock Steeves language pocket books with a menu "de-coder" would be best.

http://www.single-serving.com/Italian/phrase_booklet.php

Archived