Dress Code on Whisper - Jeans?

CynScotland

I copied this directly from their website, hope it helps.

CLOTHING SUGGESTIONS

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual resort wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at resorts. Shoes should be flat or low-heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, open neck shirts, slacks and sports outfits are appropriate.

On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or trousersuits; men wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Sailings of eight days or less typically feature two formal nights, while longer cruises usually have three or four formal nights. Details will be provided in your Shore Excursions book.

On formal nights, guests may choose casually elegant dress (dresses or pantsuites for ladies, jacket, tie optional for gentlemen) for dining in the Terrace Café. Following dinner all guests are free to take advantage of any or all of our public spaces for both entertainment or cocktails and after-dinner drinks.

My DH and I will be taking our 12th SS cruise in 3 weeks and we have never worn or seen anyone else wear jeans in the evening. We have seen people wear them during the day but never at night.

Cindy

Hmmm. I wonder why "jeans" are not allowed in most cruise lines' evening dining venue when other types of casual pants, even "Dockers," are? Cloth is cloth, after all and, as others have pointed out, many designer jeans cost much more than other kinds of slacks. Is the ban on "blue" jeans or other colors too, such as black (which Georgio Armani wears everywhere)?

Well I would say neither Jeans nor Dockers are should be worn on a Silversea ship in the evening. I am 34 years old, so I could say one of the youngest on the ship. I've travelled more then 400 days with Silversea and it would never even come in to my mind to wear Jeans or Dockers in the evening

I am 34 years old, so I could say one of the youngest on the ship. I've travelled more then 400 days with Silversea
So you must have the Venetian Society Tiffany sapphire (100 days) and ruby (350 days) pins. Being young, you are likely computer savvy. Would you be so kind as to post "macro" (highly enlarged) high definition pictures of those pins on this board to satisfy the curiosity for the rest of us, together with their detailed descriptions? Thank you so much!

Hmmm. I wonder why "jeans" are not allowed in most cruise lines' evening dining venue when other types of casual pants, even "Dockers," are? Cloth is cloth, after all and, as others have pointed out, many designer jeans cost much more than other kinds of slacks. Is the ban on "blue" jeans or other colors too, such as black (which Georgio Armani wears everywhere)?

Call me old-fashioned, but you do not wear work cloths to dinner. Jeans are work cloths, no matter how expensive. Gentlemen take off hats (baseball cap nowadays) indoors, you don't talk with your mouth full and you dress for dinner, period. But try telling this to a younger generation. Customs change with each passing generation. I'm afraid we might start to see jeans in the Silversea dining room before long. I have seen it already in some mass market lines.

I suppose jeans were work clothes at one time--for cowboys--but most "work clothes" today are suits or "dressy casual" outfits in most places. I'm just wondering how this "no jeans" rule got started. Is it the cloth they are made from (denim), the rivets at the seams, the design, the color? Probably, I think they are considered "leisure wear" (not work clothes) & thus inappropriate for more formal gatherings. But why draw the line between jeans and casual slacks? I do think many younger (and future) cruisers may consider these distinctions silly.

Nobody is looking at a price tag on clothes. It is the specific item. Jeans are not worn at night at all. You will see a few on embarkation and debarkation day during the day and very occasionally during the day on other days. Most dress resort casual during the day and for the theme of the day at night.

I suppose jeans were work clothes at one time--for cowboys--but most "work clothes" today are suits or "dressy casual" outfits in most places. I'm just wondering how this "no jeans" rule got started. Is it the cloth they are made from (denim), the rivets at the seams, the design, the color? Probably, I think they are considered "leisure wear" (not work clothes) & thus inappropriate for more formal gatherings. But why draw the line between jeans and casual slacks? I do think many younger (and future) cruisers may consider these distinctions silly.

Undoubtedly. I'm glad there still are places people care about dressing or behaving 'appropriately', but I'm afraid our days are numbered. What is 'appropriate', 'proper' will change with each generation.

I don't necessarily agree with the statement that it is a younger generation that will bring about changes to the dress code.

I am now 41 and my husband 39. We have been sailing SS since 1999 and have over 170 + days on board. We absolutely love to dress up. My husband always wears a tuxedo and I always wear long gowns on Formal nights. It has never occurred to us to have SS change their policy to allow jeans. We just accept the Dress Code Policy and are happy to abide by it.

We have the same "No Jeans" policy at our country club in the Main Dining Room. Not sure if I ever saw an explanation as to why no jeans but again I know it is a widely accepted rule at many other country clubs.

I will be boarding the Whisper on 4/20/08. Let me assure you jeans will be seen on that ship for the next fifteen days. Not in the evening, mind you. But daily. They aren't my work clothes. My work clothes have been sitting in my closet untouched since I retired nearly six years ago. I now live in jeans. And unless it is too hot, I intend to continue to live in them daily on the Whisper. And I would be astonished if I am alone in wearing jeans during the day. But I will wear them alone if that is the case and have a glorious time doing so. I gladly follow the ship's rules, but not the dictates of the self-appointed fashion police who would declair I am not a gentleman if I decline to follow their rules. Patrick

I think the original question was if jeans were appropriate at night in the dining room. I don't see anything wrong with wearing jeans during the day. I'd think they would be too hot in many of the places the ship visits, and I think that's one of the reasons you don't see many jeans on board, but if you are comfortable in them, why not? Go for it.

Island Cruiser - We are on the voyage right after yours, sorry to miss you. I see that your live on Camano Island, we are from Gig Harbor. We are doing 5 nights in Athens before the cruise.

Simonv - Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, I was really asking about my husband wearing jeans on the casual nights, with a jacket.

CynScotland, hello neighbor. We are looking forward to this trip immensely. It will be our first Silversea trip. We bring high expectations. Since we have already visited Athens, we will just overnight there at the airport Sofitel and then head home. We will, however, be flying in to Dubai early to enjoy that extraordinary destination. Have a great trip! Patrick

Quote: So you must have the Venetian Society Tiffany sapphire (100 days) and ruby (350 days) pins. Being young, you are likely computer savvy. Would you be so kind as to post "macro" (highly enlarged) high definition pictures of those pins on this board to satisfy the curiosity for the rest of us, together with their detailed descriptions? Thank you so much!

@meow

I've been looking for the pins but the seem to be hiding from me since I've moved last time but I promise to keep on looking

Archived