Help! Need Info Re Ports And Tenders Before Booking Excursions

theduffys

Normally this is not a concern but, since we will be taking my 91yo dad on his first cruise, I need to know if we will have to tender to the shore at any of the following ports of call: St. Thomas,USVI--St. John"s, Antigua--Bridgetown, Barbados--Philipsburg, St. Martin--Tortola,BVI. Also, is there a really long pier to walk after docking in any of these ports? I am hoping he will let us bring a wheelchair for him (since walking or standing for any length of time wears him out) but, he is very "proud" so I must be very diplomatic about it.

While hurricanes can certainly change things, none of those ports previously required tenders in the past. If you require a wheelchair, one can be made available for you at the foot of the gangplank. In Barbados, there is a somewhat longer walk from the gangplank to and through the terminal. In Tortola, it is a somewhat longer walk to town from the ship. Antiguua is fine, and in each case above you can arrange for rides from the gangplank should you need it.

While hurricanes can certainly change things, none of those ports previously required tenders in the past. If you require a wheelchair, one can be made available for you at the foot of the gangplank. In Barbados, there is a somewhat longer walk from the gangplank to and through the terminal. In Tortola, it is a somewhat longer walk to town from the ship. Antiguua is fine, and in each case above you can arrange for rides from the gangplank should you need it.

In Barbados last Feb. they had buses moving passengers from the ship to the main terminal. We docked in all the other ports as well. Some of the winter cruises had to tender in St. Thomas since the Dawn arrives so late we did not. I guess it depends on the number of ships in port that day.

A friend of mine use to travel with her dad who was also in his 90. She had a great seat that folded down to look almost like an umbrella when they weren't using it. When he got tired they opened it up and he sat down.

If he doesn't want to take a wheel chair, how about something like that?

We will be on the Dawn on nov 18. My Dad is confined to a wheelchair so also does not want to do any tendering. On the cruise documents it shows that st maarten is by anchor and the other ports are listed as dock. I assume that means that we will be tendering in st. maarten. hope this is helpful.

amie

I believe Dawn will tender in St. Thomas (we did on our last cruise in Feb.) because it arrives around mid-day and all the docks are taken by other ships which are there for the entire day. I have seen as many as seven ships in St. Thomas on the same day and only four can dock.

Normally this is not a concern but, since we will be taking my 91yo dad on his first cruise, I need to know if we will have to tender to the shore at any of the following ports of call: St. Thomas,USVI--St. John"s, Antigua--Bridgetown, Barbados--Philipsburg, St. Martin--Tortola,BVI. Also, is there a really long pier to walk after docking in any of these ports? I am hoping he will let us bring a wheelchair for him (since walking or standing for any length of time wears him out) but, he is very "proud" so I must be very diplomatic about it.

http://ncl.com/more/special_services.htm

hi Marianne-I hope this helps-

Denise

Thanks Denise. I have already talked to NCL and know that I can bring a regular, colapasable (sp) wheelchair on board and he does have one that was my mother's. The question is, will he agree? Maybe I will simply insist on it. I'll use the safety angle of having to move quickly in an emergency. I think I am going to look for one of those folding chairs that Frequenttraveller reccomended. I do know, however, that I do not want to try and get him on and off a tender--hence, my concern about pre-booking shore excursions.

Archived