Mariner Questions~please Help

mo64rn

We leave in less than 2 weeks and I hope someone can help answer my questions.

My docs say embarktion time is 2 pm. Can you get on the ship any earlier? Also do they serve lunch once on board?

Does anyone know which are the formal nights?

Do I need to carryon my dinner clothing?

Can I pack bottled water to bring on board?

Also, what about the rock climbing? long lines?

And finally, can anyone tell me about Labadee or any other tips or timesavers? We have cruised Disney 5 times but this is our first RCCL any comparisons would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there,

Here are the answers to your questions.

The docs do say 2:00pm, but I usually get to the pier around 11:30 and am onboard by noon.

If I recall the formal nights are Monday night and Friday night

I would suggest carrying on some clothing for the first night, especially if you have early seating. Both times I was on Mariner I had my bags before the life boat drill.

I have always brought on atleast 12 bottles of water in a checked bag and have not had a problem.

I have never been on the rock wall:)

Labadee is a great place to just relax and take in some sun, a great way to start your cruise. There are some nice secluded areas and dont forget the drinks:) You can check out my link for all my cruise pics:) ENJOY!

Tim

My hubby did the rock climbing when we were on the Mariner 9/12/04 and on the Navigator June 2003. They have certain times that they do it. You have to schedule beforehand but usually if you check the compass and get there a little early there's not much of a wait.

As for Labadee, you'll want to make sure you get a spot under one of the trees. It gets unbearably hot there. Even if you plan on catching some rays, you can always move your chair later.

We did the Disney 9/01. We actually did the land sea deal and left for the land part on 9/11/01. We live in SC so we drove. But because of the flight restrictions when we got on the boat a few days later there were quite a few guests missing. So I know my view of Disney isn't necessarily as accurate as it could be for a normal sailing.

I don't know if you're sailing with kids or not, and if you are what their ages are. That seems to be the biggest difference for us. We took our twin daughters, who were 11 at the time on the Disney. They've been on both RCCL cruise with us also. There seems to be more family things for parents with preteens and teens on the RCCL. I felt like on the Disney there were things for them and things for us. There were a few family things but the majority of them seemed to be for younger kids. We always have plenty of family time together on RCCL. And whatever you do, DON'T miss the Ice Show! It's spectacular! We liked the ice show on the Mariner better than the Navigator, but the Navigator's show was pretty awesome, too. The dance/song shows were better on the Navigator, but that's just my personal opinion. They will have times to get complimentary tickets for the Ice Show listed in the compass depending on which dinner seating you are. Make sure you get the tickets as soon as posible as they go pretty quickly.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

Dinner on the first night is very casual, even saw people in shorts. But I packed some comfortable capris in my carry on so I would have them for dinner.

as for lunch I believe that the windjammer will be open when you get onboard.

and the rock wall has a sign up sheet, you sign up on the hour and then wait your turn, we were able to climb it a few times with only a few people between climbs (you need it to rest!)

Have fun!

Thanks for all of the info. I have a little anxiety because I know Disney so well and nothing of RCCL. We will be sailing with our children ages 11 and 14. My inlaws and Brother and Sister in laws will also be joining us and neither have cruised before so we really want this to be special. Thank goodness the storms have passed and I just heard on the news that the dredging equipment is in place at Port Canaveral so hopefullly we will still be able to cruise from there.

We are doing the Western but heard will not go to Grand Cayman. Is the water park at Labadee worth it? Will my kids like it?

What did you all do in Jamacia?

My kids don't like the Disney programing and am hoping they will give it a chance on RCCL. Did all of your kids enjoy the programming?

Any other tidbits. One of you mentioned complimentary tix for the ice show. Do they have tix for purchase also?

I was glad to read your post. Like you, we have cruised Disney before (only once) but this is our first on RCCI. And, we are traveling with 2 other families, neither of which have cruised before.

You might want to check out the Royal Hounds info. (Group Cruises) on Mariner. They are arriving back today (cruise extended due to Jeanne). I have been watching their posts for a couple of weeks and have gotten some good info. I am anxious to see their posts once they all get home.

Looking forward to Oct. 10th!

Lisa

This is a great thread for me. We(me, DH, 2 DS 5 & 8 at cruising time) are currently booked on a Disney cruise out of CA for next summer but Im not sure if I really want to do that...especially with the cost. So I was looking for alternatives and Mariner seems to fit the bill for me. In fact it looks wonderful! Im torn over what to do since I have been waiting so long to do a 7 day Disney(weve done 2, 3 days) and wanted it for our 10th anniversary, but now the CA move has messed me up.

Keep the opinions coming!

MO64rn:

Are you going on the Oct 10th cruise. My family is from Lake Mary and we are going on that cruise. We have been on the Voyager and have also been on the western route many times.

Dunns River Falls is a main attraction in Jamaica. Although the Canopy tour sounds interesting. Labadee is good for relaxing. Heat is all relative. You are from Florida so I do not see the heat is being much of a problem and in October it is great if it doen't rain. I wasn't impressed with the water park area. The wave runners could be fun. Cozumel is the best place to dive/snorkel. The Caymans (which we are most likely going to miss) is fair for snorkeling, at least with the stingrays, but the water color is not the normal beautiful Caribbean type color.

Rock climbing requires going through a short training (info) class prior to climbing. Depending on the day and time of day, the wait time could be short or long.

the kids program is excellent. Just make sure you sign them up on the first day in case there are to many kids on board and they have to limit the number of participants.

You might want to check in on the Oct 10th mariner meet and mingle board and ask the same questions.

Hey, I thought I was the welcoming committee for the Mariner, Oct 10th sailing, but 2 of my cohorts beat me to it! Feel free to join us as we really are a friendly bunch! (we've been chatting for about 1 year now and have over 40 people, many different families) who are sailing that sailing) :D

A note about the Rock Climbing Wall. There are scheduled times when it is available so consult your Cruise Compass. I've done the rock climbing on both the Navigator and the Mariner and it seems that the lines are shorter if you go earlier in the week. Also on any give day the lines seem to be longer with the later times.

As far as the water, there were 4 in our room and between the 4 of us, we packed 4 liters of water and 24-12 oz plastic bottles of soda in our checked baggage. Not to mention a bottle of wine and some Jim Beam. Just make sure you place all of it in ziploc bags. Starting out my cruise with soggy underwear is not my idea of fun. Also, what they say about having room for your souvenirs is true, we actually had 1 less bag going back :p

We are doing the Western but heard will not go to Grand Cayman. Is the water park at Labadee worth it? Will my kids like it?

When we were in Labadee the small water park was closed. There's really not much to it. But they do have waverunners, bannana boats, and various other things. All for a fee, of course.

What did you all do in Jamacia?

If the kids are up for it, Dunn's River Falls is amazing. The water is very cold at first, but after you've been in it for awhile it feels great. By the time we got to the end my girls were ready to go again.

My kids don't like the Disney programing and am hoping they will give it a chance on RCCL. Did all of your kids enjoy the programming?

Unfortunately, I can't comment much on the kids program. My girls didn't really get involved in them. They are almost 14 and at that weird age. When they would go to Fuel (teen disco) if they didn't see enough people there they would leave. I guess not wanting to seem geeky. I don't know. You never know what teens are thinking.

Any other tidbits. One of you mentioned complimentary tix for the ice show. Do they have tix for purchase also?

No, the reason for the tickets is because there is limited seating in Studio B.

I don't know if you have plans in Cozumel or not. If the kids are looking for a beach day, Mr. Sanchos is great. There's no fee. They just ask you to buy a couple of drinks. They serve food as well if you desire. They are attentive but not pushy. The water in Cozumel is so great, much better than you'll find in Labadee. Perfect place to snorkle.

Thanks ao much for all of the info.

Lauri32, Mr. Sanchos sounds good. How do we get there? Did you do Dunn's River on your own or book the excursion?

Later,

That is too funny you are from Lake Mary. Yes, we sail Oct. 10th. I will try to find the meet and mingle. Thanks for the invite.

Our computer is slow. We are on dial up cause our cable is still out from the hurricaine. I am just glad I have electricity.

Archived