Cleaning your goggles ?

blindrid

I'm leaving the end of the week, so hopefully this question is not too off-topic as I don't have a lot of time this week:

I have new goggles and not sure how to clean them before I leave. I've heard the white toothpaste thing but am a novice and don't want to do any damage to the lenses.

Any thoughts on how to and what to use? I'm not real close to a dive so any tips would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, Randy

I'm leaving the end of the week, so hopefully this question is not too off-topic as I don't have a lot of time this week:

I have new goggles and not sure how to clean them before I leave. I've heard the white toothpaste thing but am a novice and don't want to do any damage to the lenses.

Any thoughts on how to and what to use? I'm not real close to a dive so any tips would be helpful.

Thanks in advance, Randy

Do the toothpaste thing.... You get regular toothpaste, not gel, dab a bit on a paper towel, and using a circular motion, go over the entire lense, for about 45 sec to a minute. Then rinse and repeat, both lenses inside and out. When a mask is produced, they put an oil mixture on it as part of the manufacturing process. The toothpaste is a low grit polisher that removes the oil and WON'T scratch the lense. This will reduce the fogging of a mask in the water, though you should use an anti-fogging technique, spit, anti-fogging that you can get at some sporting goods stores and at dive shops, a mild baby-shampoo mixture you bring along or whatever the dive/snorkel boat uses.

Randall

• 1 month later...

Archived