Airport to French Quarter - Cheapest Route

CrusingOnMyMind

Okay, this is kinda embarrasing to ask, considering I use to LIVE in New Orleans . . . what is the cheapest mode of transportation from the airport to the French Quarter? I've never taken a cab from the airport in NOLA . . . and I've never taken a cab to the French Quarter - always had other means of transportation. DH and I are flying in on Friday and are staying in the Quarter. Although there are MANY places outside the Quarter that I am really wanting to visit, we're not renting a car - can't quite justify paying to RENT a car AND the PARK it at the hotel. He'll be in a conference part of the time we're there anyway. SO . . . what's our cheapest option from the airport and then back again? And our hotel does not offer an airport shuttle. Thanks!!

BTW, I haven't been back since Katrina . . . any major changes down there we need to be aware of?

I usually say for one person the shuttle is cheaper, but for 2 or more a cab is just as cheap. Shuttle is around $15/person each way. Cab is about $30 for 1 or 2 and $12 for each additional person. Shuttle may make one or several stops, whereas the cab is direct. Both the shuttle and cabs have set fees from the airport to downtown (either the Quarter or CBD) - I don't have the exact amount 'cause the prices do change.

This might be best for your situation.. http://www.airportshuttleneworleans.com/

As far as The French Quarter,The Marigny/Bywater and CBD, there is not much changed at all. St, Charles and Magazine St. are pretty much back to "normal" also. The streetcars are back and are a good mode of transportation.

Thanks for the info! Glad to know the streetcars are up and running - was definitely hoping to use them for transportation! I have GOT to grab breakfast at Camilla Grill!!! :D

I usually say for one person the shuttle is cheaper, but for 2 or more a cab is just as cheap. Shuttle is around $15/person each way. Cab is about $30 for 1 or 2 and $12 for each additional person. Shuttle may make one or several stops, whereas the cab is direct. Both the shuttle and cabs have set fees from the airport to downtown (either the Quarter or CBD) - I don't have the exact amount 'cause the prices do change.

Thanks! I had been thinking that the shuttle would be cheaper than a taxi - not really though! Can't believe how much cab fare is!! Sheesh, wish we were driving in . . .

You might check into 1 way rentals from Avis and Enterprise (maybe Hertz but they really jacked the price last time I checked) from the airport to downtown.

If you have extra time and return the car before the downtown locations close you might be able to do some of the extra stuff.

Harrah's still has free parking deals if you gamble.

Archived