Gem - Cat g - deck 8 sideways cabin

pieshops

Such as 8100

Has anyone stayed in these cabins?

any thoughts?

Looks like more room then normal

We just got off the Gem this past Sat and stayed in a cat. G (obs) ... however, it was not a "sideways cabin". We did peak into those and thought they looked smaller than a regular one b/c there wasn't very much room next to the beds ... whereas, we fit a pullout on the floor and w/ a pullman from up top ... yes , we had wall-to-wall bedding during "sleeptime". However, cabin 8100 that you refer to is a handicap cabin ... so there is actually more room than normal (183 vs. 161 sq. ft)

Also, FYI ... most of the obstructed view rooms have a large picture window ... however, cabins 8568-8588 & 8068-8088 have 2 small narrow/long windows on either side of the 2 beds pushed togther in the center. Definitely, opt for a picture window for more light and a "possibility" of seeing the water, if given a choice.

I should also mention that there are ship lights that are right outside your window on ALL night to light up the promenade deck below. So, if you want pitch darkness ... just shut the room darkening curtains. But if want to sleep w/ curtains open by moonlight ... these cabins are not good for you.

This was the first time in an obstructed view room ... and it was fine for my family & I. We just need lots of natural daylight ... and having a somewhat view of the ocean/ports was a bonus.

Have fun ... enjoy the ship!

Such as 8100

Has anyone stayed in these cabins?

any thoughts?

Looks like more room then normal

I was briefly in 8590 in Feb. The living area of the cabin itself did not seem smaller, but there was definitely less storage space. I liked the fore and aft layout, however! We ended up moving because a big storm we went through somehow loosened the lifeboat, resulting in ear piercing shrieks! We were lucky that the cruise wasn't sold out and were able to move to another cabin (thank you NCL)!:)

We just returned from the Gem, Cabin# 8102 which is the exact type cabin that you are referring to. We were a family of 4 and thought that the cabin was more spacious than others that we had been in. Zackamo nailed it on the head with the constant light outside the large picture window....it was on all night, but easily covered up with the curtains. We had lots of clothes with us and couldn't even use all of the storage space. The bathroom was the largest ever, even bigger than the suite we had on the Dream.

One weird, but not annoying thing, is that you must walk through the middle of Tequila restaurant to go to the front of the ship (on 8 anyway).

Hope that helps. We thought that it was a great cabin even though we did not need the handicap facilities. We were told that we would be moved if they needed it, but they didn't I guess.

wwb

I was in 8100 in December 3 Adults (1 in a wheelchair) We had 2 beds together and 1 against the other wall. There was plenty of room between the beds. This room is not as obstructed as some others because the window is between 2 life boats.

• 4 years later...

This info is wonderful help. Really you walk through the restaurant? I just booked 8102 for my parents. Two quick questions.

1. Is the sideways accessible room (8102 or similar.) roomier with the beds together or apart? I need to arrange them so my mom has less stuff to bump into.

2. Are beds #3 & 4 both pull down beds or mixed? Meaning.. Perhaps one is a sofa pullout? Or are they both drop downs from the side of the wall that sticks out (or hidden up in the ceiling?) The ones along the walls stick out about 10 inches & have some sharp edges.

Any help with this would be fantastic.

Thanks & happy cruising!

This info is wonderful help. Really you walk through the restaurant? I just booked 8102 for my parents. Two quick questions.

1. Is the sideways accessible room (8102 or similar.) roomier with the beds together or apart? I need to arrange them so my mom has less stuff to bump into.

2. Are beds #3 & 4 pull down beds or mixed, perhaps one is a pullout? Or are they both drop downs from the side of the wall that sticks out (or hidden up in the ceiling?) The ones along the side walls have some sharp edges.

Any help with this would be fantastic.

I have been in obstructed OV HC cabins (assigned as gty). I think there is less to bump into if the beds are separated. Arranging the room that way leaves a wide asle in the center leading to the bathroom door. This arrangement places the foot of one bed against to side of the minibar (fixed and a possible bump hazard if one had to skirt it to get into one big bed.

Ours had one trundle bed, which we did not use and one Pullman mounted to the wall.

Archived