Query regarding time in Ensenada - Celebrity Dec. 19th 2004

Carltongirl

Thanks for the information, we have been to Mexico twice before - Puerto Vallarta and Cozomel- also been to Scottsdale 3 times and have fond memories of the restaurant with the cut off ties pinned to ceiling. Do you know it Ma Bell?

Anyone

On the cruise prior to Dec. 5, the itinerary calls for the cruise to end and disembarkation in Ensenada. Since the ship will be sailing from San Diego on the 5th just a few hours later, what are the chances that the ship will continue into San Diego instead of sailing empty from Ensenada? Makes more sense to me to let the passengers continue into San Diego since it is sailing from there anyway. Just a thought. Anyone else on my wavelength?

[img]http://www.karenpalumbo.com/cruiseship01.gif[/img]

Happy Cruising!

Q

Well, in principal I agree with you. However, since Infinity is a foreign flagged vessel, The Jones Act will not permit them to do that. I am actually a bit surprised that they are allowing us to do it on our cruise since I believe, technically, in order for a foreign flagged vessel to do a round trip out of a US port, it has to make a stop in a 'distant' foreign port (that is the reason that the Alaska cruises leave from Vancouver rather than Seattle, for example). Since Ensenada is just a few miles south of San Diego, it is hard to imagine that it qualifies.

There may also be logistical reasons for the cruise prior to ours going empty from Ensenada to San Diego to pick us up. Possibly, they just do not have the time to divert to Ensenada, sit there for an hour and still get to San Diego in order to disembark passengers and get us on board at a reasonable hour. Some time ago, there was a detailed discussion of this on the Boards, but with the problems searching the Boards, I cannot locate it.

I am just glad we do not have to do the Ensenada shuttle for our 12/5 cruise!

Linda

Infinitinis and Infinatics to Hawaii
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2004;12;05;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Carltongirl,

It's called Pinnacle Peak Patio. That restaurant has been here for many years. In the old days when men really used to wear ties to dinner, it was always fun to take some unsuspecting guy there and see what he'd do when they cut off his tie. Nowadays they'd probably get sued. I'm sure it's still fun to go there although I haven't been there in quite a few years. Maybe I'll have to give it another try.

The Jones Act is a law that says that vessels that transport cargo or passengers between U.S. ports need to be built by, owned by, and operated and crewed by U. S. citizens. Most of the cruiselines do not qualify, so in order to assure that they are not just operating between U.S. ports, they need to make a stop at a distant foreign port. When a cruiseship is going from San Diego one way to Hawaii, the port of Ensenada does not qualify as being far enough away to comply. When they do a round trip, I guess if they stop on the way back, they have sailed far enough in the beginning to qualify. Some people are working to change these requirements, probably the cruiselines. The Jones Act was initiated to protect jobs, I believe.

Archived