Infinity CC Class or upgrade to Sky Suite for $100??

Justanut

We were able to upgrade our Concierge Class to a Sky Suite for May 16 to Alaska on Infinity for $100. There are three of us (sisters and we grew up sharing a room so figure surely we can stand it for 7 days!). We wanted the extra room in a SS - both inside and out - but is there really that much more room? CC is 191 sq. ft. & SS is 251 sq. ft. Balcony is 57 sf vs. 41 sf. I'm a visual person so I'm having trouble picturing if that much room will help.

If we didn't take the SS but kept the CC - we would get a $900 discount!

I know SS has a butler - but hey - we're leaving our husbands for a week - do we REALLY want a man hanging around???!!!

WHAT TO DO!!! I went ahead and upgraded but I'm having second thoughts. $900 refund would pay for our airfare!! :confused:

I have been checking every day for discounts because our TA had told us Celebrity would probably run a Senior Citizen (over 55) or a Resident or a Military discount at some point. Yesterday when I pulled up our cruise on Travelocity I saw that all of the higher-end cabins were reduced significantly! Example: Three of us in CC had paid a total cabin price of $3805. The sky suite yesterday was $3905 - just $100 more. The CC class had dropped to $2905 for three people!!

While I was waiting to hear back from our TA - I called Celebrity and they said yes the prices had dropped on those cabins. So we upgraded. One of the couples traveling with us didn't want to upgrade so they are receiving a refund of $300 each.

Just go out on the internet and check (even www.celebritycruises will have the discounted prices but you can also check travelocity, etc.) - and if the prices have dropped called Vacations to Go. Do you have one person in particular you deal with??

GOOD LUCK!

We were able to upgrade our Concierge Class to a Sky Suite for May 16 to Alaska on Infinity for $100. There are three of us (sisters and we grew up sharing a room so figure surely we can stand it for 7 days!). We wanted the extra room in a SS - both inside and out - but is there really that much more room? CC is 191 sq. ft. & SS is 251 sq. ft. Balcony is 57 sf vs. 41 sf. I'm a visual person so I'm having trouble picturing if that much room will help.

I know SS has a butler - but hey - we're leaving our husbands for a week - do we REALLY want a man hanging around???!!!

WHAT TO DO!!! I went ahead and upgraded but I'm having second thoughts. $900 refund would pay for our airfare!! :confused:

Personally, I would upgrade. If it helps with the size of the cabin, think of it like this, The SS cabin is 30% larger than the CC. So going from 191 to 251 doesn't seem like much but to add almost 1/3 as much space, that can make a difference.

Richard

Well, I was about to say I'd jump on that for $100. Then, in reading your post I see it is more like $1,000 difference.

Overall a tough call, $1,000 is quite a bit. On the other hand with three people the more room the better. In fact, if I were you I'd check to see if any of the FV cabins are open and bookable.

Personally, I would upgrade. If it helps with the size of the cabin, think of it like this, The SS cabin is 30% larger than the CC. So going from 191 to 251 doesn't seem like much but to add almost 1/3 as much space, that can make a difference.

Richard

That's a good way to look at it Richard. With three of us - that's like adding a space for the third person! Thanks.

If there were just two in your party, then you'd have a tough decision, IMO. But since there are three of you, it's a no-brainer to move up to the Sky Suite. Yes, the $900 savings to remain in Concierge Class is tempting, but I assume you've already budgeted for the prices you originally paid.

As to the square footage in the Sky Suites, keep in mind not all Sky Suites are created equal. Sky Suites 6145, 6146, 6132 & 6131 have larger than normal decks than their 57-ft brothers & sisters. And just because those four sky suites might not be available today, it pays to keep checking on them. We're sailing this coming Saturday, and just last week both 6145 & 6146 became available after being previously occupied for the past six weeks. You can search for specific staterooms/suites on Celebrity's website, which is a feature not available on most (if not all) Internet travel agency sites. If either of these four sky suites become available between now and your sailing date, you can make the switch from your smaller sky suites. Good luck!

If there were just two in your party, then you'd have a tough decision, IMO. But since there are three of you, it's a no-brainer to move up to the Sky Suite. Yes, the $900 savings to remain in Concierge Class is tempting, but I assume you've already budgeted for the prices you originally paid.

As to the square footage in the Sky Suites, keep in mind not all Sky Suites are created equal. Sky Suites 6145, 6146, 6132 & 6131 have larger than normal decks than their 57-ft brothers & sisters. And just because those four sky suites might not be available today, it pays to keep checking on them.

Thanks so much! What I need to do is focus on the fact that we only paid $100 more than we had originally spent - and not factor in the "discounted" amount.

I was curious to see if anyone would say there's not enough difference in CC & SS to justify changing. But it sounds like we've made the right decision! And we will DEFINITELY keep checking for the Sky Suites you listed!!

We're in 8127 which is wheelchair accessible. Wonder if that will make it a little roomier?

I'm sure the bathroom in 8127 is larger than normal in order to accomodate a wheelchair. However as to the rest of the cabin and balcony I can't say.

Keep your focus on deck six aft! ;)

We just returned from a cruise on the Summit and were in 6132, a Sky Suite with the larger veranda that Beav mentioned which had room for three lounge chairs. Nice size bathtub and large walk-in closet. And our butler, Ricki, was wonderful! We had a FV cabin a few years ago on the Constellation which was longer, but more narrow. It did, however, have a great view off the stern. I definitely think the SS is a better cabin!

Beav

We are in sky suite 9111 and seeing you are going this Sat wondering if we should move down to deck six. Let me know what its like on nine. We are going to Alaska in May so there won't be a lot of people in the pool AREA. Would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks Bev

I have to ask becase we need more people but did you sign up for the cc party? We have a thread started for this week under Infinity sailings May 16. We would love for you to join us:p

I travelled with two friends in my first Sky Suite last October and really loved the extra space. I think it made all the difference for three women travelling together. There was more than enough storage for the three of us. Our suitcases all fit under the twin beds.

Our bathroom was a good size, with lots of storage. It had a bathtub, but I think accesssible sky suites have extra large showers. I don't know if this applies to all accessible Sky Suites, but friends showed us their accessible Sky Suite on the Summit, and it had a huge bathroom...no bathtub but a very large shower that could accommodate a wheelchair.

Our Sky Suite on the Mercury had a larger than average coffee table that could pull up in height to serve as a dining table.

Also, you can ask your butler to bring you espressos and cappucinos to your Sky Suite, which was almost worth the extra cost right there. We always asked for two each to be brought at the same time, as one wasn't large enough. We tipped the butler quite a bit extra as we were feeling a little high maintenance, but I have to tell you, we just LOVED sitting in bed having double cappucinos, and chatting away. A great way to ease into your morning.

The small sofa pulls out to make a large single bed for the third person, which was reasonably comfortable after I asked for two egg crates to be added.

One hint...take the Concierge Class Breakfast Menu with you...you can order anything on that menu from room service, but you probably won't find the menu in your Sky Suite. I also asked for goose down pillows, which I am used to ordering from the Pillow Menu in Concierge Class, and our butler acted like he had never heard that request before. But he got the down pillows for me :o .

The tea trolley that they bring around in the late afternoon has much better appetizers than the ones they serve in Concierge Class. And if you aren't going to be in your room at that time, just ask your butler to leave you a nice selection every day. The appetizers are great to have with your pre-dinner drinks on the balcony and the cookies are great if you have the midnight munchies.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Sky Suite. Keep looking every day, you might even be able to improve the size of your balcony, although we had the 57 sq. ft. regular SS balcony, and it was big enough for all three of us to sit out and enjoy the unseasonably warm PNW weather. We didn't have loungers, but did have chairs and ottomans, which were just as good for our needs.

Have a great trip, and let us know how you enjoyed the Sky Suite when you return!

Beav

We are in sky suite 9111 and seeing you are going this Sat wondering if we should move down to deck six. Let me know what its like on nine. We are going to Alaska in May so there won't be a lot of people in the pool AREA. Would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks Bev

Hi Bev,

Personally speaking, I don't care for deck 9 because of the large, extended overhang. There are many people who do like the overhang, however, claiming it provides protection in inclement weather. So deck 9 cabins are either love 'em or hate 'em! I do agree with you, however, that in Alaska I wouldn't worry too much about noise from pool deck.

But if it were my decision, I would personally switch to a deck 6 sky suite. Hope that helps!

Also, you can ask your butler to bring you espressos and cappucinos to your Sky Suite, which was almost worth the extra cost right there. We always asked for two each to be brought at the same time, as one wasn't large enough. We tipped the butler quite a bit extra as we were feeling a little high maintenance, but I have to tell you, we just LOVED sitting in bed having double cappucinos, and chatting away. A great way to ease into your morning.

Thanks SO much to everyone for all this information! You mentioned tipping the butler quite a bit extra for being "high maintenance". I know that gratuities are usually paid at the end of the cruise - so did you tip him something extra each time you requested something or just add on at the end? And I know this is a little nosey - but what do you consider "quiet a bit". I don't want to blow my whole budget on tips - but also don't want to have our butler telling the next several cruises about the cheap ladies from Texas!!

Thanks SO much to everyone for all this information! You mentioned tipping the butler quite a bit extra for being "high maintenance". I know that gratuities are usually paid at the end of the cruise - so did you tip him something extra each time you requested something or just add on at the end? And I know this is a little nosey - but what do you consider "quiet a bit". I don't want to blow my whole budget on tips - but also don't want to have our butler telling the next several cruises about the cheap ladies from Texas!!

Actually you will be paying your butler at the end of the cruise.....a bit more than the cabin attendent that also will be taking care of you. However, if he is giving you additional attention......additional tipping is appreciated, but only as you feel he has been worth it. Some people tip the butler when the cruise is half over.....but again it's not necessary, and not expected.

However you tip......don't think that the butler will feel that you are cheap. They only expect what the cruiseline guideline is......and anything above that is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Archived