Naples Port Car Rentals

Hi there, our party of 4 will be on the Gem on May 25th and going to Naples on the 28th.

Has anyone rented a car from there or is there a company that has cars at the port or will deliver?

We are going to try and do our own touring, Amazing Race style!

thanks for any input you have....:D

There have been threads on this subject,but I can't find the links..BUT...of all the places in Italy NOT to drive/rent a car is Naples plain and simple.Just an FYI.There are ways to see this whole area by train,private driver etc. that will a lot easier.If you do rent a car remember you will need a Int.Driving PERMIT(not a Lic) for Italy..they are quite strict on it if you do get stopped.

I think Frommer's sums it up well: "As for driving around Naples, we have one word: Don't."

This is one port where you'll be glad that you booked a private tour. Driving in Naples isn't for the faint of heart .... traffic lights are only 'suggestions' and the driver with the most courage gets the right of way. It's the only port on our Med cruise where we booked a tour and it was well worth it. We've driven in many major cities in Europe and N.A. and so far, none of them compares to Naples.:eek:

thanks for the advice, so...I can't drive a car in Italy without an International license? or just in Naples? they will still rent a car to you if you only have a US license?

more information would be great! thanks:o

You did not read my post... I said Int. Driver's PERMIT...not LIC..big difference that is why I capped them.A few countries have this requirement,but Italy has cracked down on it if you are stopped for any reason in the past few years.And,yes, you just need a US Lic to rent a car.

A couple of years ago I obtained an international driving permit from AAA , no big deal. Better to need and have.....! When I arrived at the car rental they told me I didn't need it. So you figure it out.

Now onto Naples, I arrived at the train station from Rome, wanting to go to the ferry I took a taxi. OMG it was hold on, the driver drove down oneway streets in the wrong direction. The little smart cars are parked all over the place double and tripled parked. The locals do not obey stops signs or lights and yell and scream at each other. I saw two taxi drivers get out of their cars and start fighting. No our driver was not one of them. If there is enough room and even if this isn't enough room two cars will drive in one lane. Now if that sounds like a fun and good time to you. Then by all means rent a car in Naples. But if you would rather sit back and watch the show then take Public transportation. Just be comfortable with your decision.

What about renting a car in Naples to drive the Amalfi coast? I don't plan to spend any time at all in Naples except to get off the ship, get the car, and get out, so will that be okay? Surely one you are on an expressway it's not so bad?

What about renting a car in Naples to drive the Amalfi coast? I don't plan to spend any time at all in Naples except to get off the ship, get the car, and get out, so will that be okay? Surely one you are on an expressway it's not so bad?

All I am going to say re the Amalfi Coast is..Have you see the road???? I am sure someone will respond who has done it though.:)

It's narrow and twisty, I know - but so are the roads in Ireland. And I like a challenge. lol

The Amalfi coast is beautiful, why would you want to drive and miss all that beautiful. There are a couple of spots even with mirrors that if a bus is coming you have to back up, only room for one. Last time I was there ,no guard rails..straight drop down. Why not hire a driver and sit back and enjoy the ride you are on holiday. I don't think that it is worth the hassle of getting in and out of Naples then fighting the traffic driving the coast.

But if you do decide to do it.Please report back to us, I would love to hear of your experience.

I'll add to everyone's cautionary tales. I've actually found myself in a rental car in Naples twice on land trips, with DH driving. He is completely unruffled by driving in central Rome, or elsewhere in Italy. Even he admits driving in Naples is "unusual", and the previous poster who said red lights are mere suggestions is completely correct. :eek: Central Naples is really pretty difficult to navigate, and the traffic is intense. That said, it is possible. However, unless you thrive on stress, I'd find another way. Good luck, whatever you decide.:)

• 3 years later...

We drove the coast from Salerno to the parking garage to catch the little boat to Capri and found the road to be quite okay/straighhtforward. We live in L.A. and have done a little CA mountain driving, but nothing special. I wouldn't be scared off if you actually avoid downtown Naples.

Archived