Airlines and wheelchairs

jhillm

I am about to cruise with my 83 year old mother. I have borrowed a lightweight wheelchair to take with us. She is not wheelchair bound, but I think it will help conserve energy for such an ambitious trip.

Are there tips you can offer about airline gate checking. Do I need to worry about damage? This will be a first so any advice is welcome. Thanks

I would check it at the gate and not at the check in counter. That way, it's the last thing to be put in the hold, and not just thrown around with the luggage. But, be aware that some airlines are counting wheelchairs as your one checked "bag" and if you have luggage, they may make you pay the extra fees. I know that stinks, but that's what airlines are doing now.

In the USA, airlines are NOT allowed to count your wheelchair that you gate check or check as luggage as part of your luggage allowance. They CAN count other medical equipment (such as lifts or supplies in one bag) but so far United is the only one doing that. Regardless, never check your wheelchair as luggage. Gate check it. Also insist that you get your own chair at any plane changes. This way you make sure it makes the plane change with you.

Remove anything that can come off easily (leg rests, arm rests, etc.) from the chair before they take it to the hold and carry them onto the plane.

If your chair folds very small, they are required to put one chair inside the cabin...first come, first serve. You have to be insistant on this, as the cabin crew often tries to say that there is no space even when no one else has boarded yet, because they like to put their own luggage in that locker.

Also, once you arrive, immediately get off the plane and snag your wheelchair and guard it (or have the cabin steward do so). We have had several times when other passengers tried to take our chair thinking it was an airport chair (like they can't tell the difference between those clunkers and our expensive lightweight chair!!!!). Once we had to chase someone all the way to the curb to get our chair back. Now my dad guards the chair while I wait for the aisle chair (last one off) with my mother.

We had the same experience here in SanDiego, when someone else took our gatechecked wheelchair from the door of the plane, thinking it was for his use. We finally retrieved it at the baggage carousel where he was waiting for his checked bags. Not even so much as "Sorry" so now we, too, have marked the chair with prominent name and addrees labels and also Private - do not use.

Too late for the OP but in the spirit of the thread....DW's chair is always gate checked. We have it well identified. Depending on where we are seated on arrival we exit with our row (DW can walk the aisle) and we then wait for the chair at the first row before the door where we can see when they bring up the wheelchairs and strollers. I step out and grab it right away. Only once in 30+ years have we had even minor damage (bent foot rest).

I like the idea of a "private wheelchair" sign and think I may just make our own, plastic laminate it and attach to one of the handles.

One side benefit of the gate check process is that the gate agents know there is a pre-board for the flight and getting to the seat is a lot easier without the crowd. Also gives first crack at grabbing a blanket or pillow if the airline being used still carries them. DW uses the foam pad in a pillow case from her chair, to augment the skimpy seating padding on most planes, rather than checkign this with the chair. Keeps it cleaner too.

Flight home from London will be first international gate-check routine with plane changes and 2 hr layovers in Dublin and Chicago so we will want the chair in those places anyway. Just hoping Aer Lingus procedures are pretty standard.

The ADA passed a law requiring airlines to put your manual chair in the first class closet on board the plane. They will do it if they know you know. If there is more than one chair it is first come first served. You can go online and get a copy of the laws. If they wreck your chair they have to pay whatever it cost. You don't want that to happen. Don't plan to fail or fail to plan.You don't want that happen so prepare your chair so it won't happen. If your manualchair goes below or if you have a power chair always have a flight attendant verify it is on the plane before they close the doors.icon7.gif

The ADA is not an agency, so they can't propose, pass or enforce a law. Only Congress can pass federal legislation, and the executive branch (DOT, DOL, DOJ, etc.) are responsible for enforcment. The ADA is a law, but it does not apply to airlines. The laws and regulations that do apply are the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA, 49 U.S.C. 41705)

They are required to allow one folding wheelchair (no power chairs) that will fit the specified closet inside the cabin, but it is first come, first serve, and you will find that often they will claim they don't have one as the cabin stewards like to put their own luggage there.

I stand corrected the ada is not an agency it sets the standards so that they can be enforced thru the courts. I have always been able to stow my manual chair in the cabin closet if I'm the first to board. It's amazing how they can find room for their luggage and one chair. If there is no first class like a 737 then it is going below. The crew have a samall closet for their bags or they stow it first. icon7.gif

with gate checking a manual wheelchair. I have done it at least 20 times with my DW, on several airlines domestic and overseas, and the chair is always waiting there for us. Of course, we always last off the plane too.

If you are respectful to airline employees and say thank you, they will go out of their way to help you. I have been bumped up to business class twice with my wife probably because we were courteous and said thank you. If you treat people nicely and say thanks for accomodating your special needs, they will return in kind. Of course, that goes for anyone.;)

I agree that you have to be polite. We are ambassadors for the physically challenged. I have flown over 30 times and have been bumped to first class a few times, but I don't expect it. You can be polite and still have your chair stored in the cabin. The chairs are waiting when you get out to the jetway.We are the first on and last off. I had my manual chait trashed once. Fortunately it was on the way back and they paid for it and I had a back up chair at home. It would have been terrible if it happened on the way there. My arms come off and that makes a sidewards transfer possible. Can you imagine a CRUISE WITHOUT YOUR OWN CHAIR? This happened before I started flying with my manual and power chair.

I have found an interesting service that isn't up and running yet but should be soon. It seems almost too good to be true for those who travel with motorized chairs and deal with the current system. A pilot is starting a service that will provide flights to those with disabilities that have difficulty flying commercial airlines. This also include those who cannot use typical wheelchair or have other complex issues that prevent flying. Small aircraft utilizing smaller airports will be used. As it is a charter service no need for the fun had at checkin and security that we all have come to know and love. Instead you will be boarded at the hanger just before taking off. Essentially your own private plane! Motorized chair users will be boarded in their chairs and STAY in them. All this for roughly the cost of commercial fares! As disabled travel has grown tremendously, this man feels he can make a go of this service. After traveling for over 15 years with my daughter who is on a vent and uses a large motorized chair, it seems like a dream come true-I hope it is. Learn more about it and let him know you are interested- the more customers the more likely it will get off the ground (sorry, couldn't resist). The website is iflymat.org. Check it out!

Unfortunately they have been promising "start up" for two years now, and keep pushing back the date. Note that their business plan is to subsidize the airfare with donations from foundations, but I don't think they have a clue of where they are going to get this money. The whole thing seems very shaky and iffy to me. If they get it off the ground (literally) I will be surprised, but we are not holding our breaths.

We have not been lucky with gate checking our manual chair. We have had 3 of them split by the airline on international flights (3 chairs in 5 years). All on the way to a cruise.

Suggestions that I have are to take a bungle cord to tie the chair shut. Also ask them to store your chair upright. I think ours was damaged because it was last on and they laid it down and heavy cargo fell on top of it.

If this happens to you, be firm with baggage claim customer service, they must provide you a chair. If they look at you strange -- tell them to get on the phone with mobility stores and find one. Make sure you know your dimensions.

Never leave the airport with out a copy of your baggage claim.

Our last airline, tried to pull the liability clause of the maximum that they will pay for personal items. I insisted and they paid.

Worst case -- travel insurance and homeowners should also cover the cost if airlines present you problems.

Archived