Beaches

The Ocean beaches near Saint John are very cold. There is a lake to swim at in Rockwood Park. I recommend the Canada Games Aquatic Centre a few blocks from ship. $5 per person

Olympic size pool, hot tubs, water slide, tarzan rope, 3 other leisure pools, water toys ...

My daughter wants to know if there are any beaches to go to in St. John's or Halifax? (close to cruises)

If you are planning on making a reservation to rent a car, make sure you do it in Saint John and not St. John's. Otherwise you will be in New Brunswick and your car rental will be in Newfoundland.;) It could sort of put a damper on your day.

The lakes at Rockwood Park have sandy beaches.

At the entrance to the Irving Nature Park is Saint's Rest Beach (bottom right photo here):

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/files/fuse.cfm?section=20&screen=209

It has cool breezes off the water though.

She can even suntan at the large tract of land known as Fort LaTour beside Long Wharf Cruise ship terminal - it is rather secluded and overlooks harbour. No sand though but very convenient.

Thanks Acey. How secluded is that beach? Is it set up for tourists?

The beach has secluded and not secluded areas. Being a nature park there are no commercial ammenities except a washroom inside the park.

Thanks. The beach doesn't look very pretty, does it?

It's a matter of perspective - I think it's pretty but others may not. I guess it depends on what an individual is looking for. No, it's not like beaches in Florida, but it's beautiful in it's own way - whether it's the solitude, scenery or wildlife. It's not where I would go to "lay out" - I would go there to fly a kite, take some pictures, play with the dog ...

Archived