Caution: LONG 3/15 NCL Gem review

Silverspoon

I understand that there are cover charges for Le Bistro, Cagneys etc. But is that only for dinner or is there a charge for breakfast and lunch?

Cagney's is open for breakfast and lunch but only for suite passengers in categories AE and above --- no charge, however. Le Bistro is only open for dinner. The teppanyaki restaurant has offered a $15 pp breakfast which is available to anyone and includes unlimited Mimosas, but I'm not sure if this is now offered on all ships, all the time.

I did have to call the concierge about my week's worth of dinner reservations. I waited about 3 hours after boarding the ship. No call, no form to fill out in suite... That was a bit confusing, guess they were busy? The assisstant concierge wrote them down for me over the phone. Lisa then sent me a confirmation list. I received every time/place requested. I was also able to push ressies up and back the day of, depending on our schedule.:)

Cagney's is open for breakfast and lunch but only for suite passengers in categories AE and above --- no charge, however. Le Bistro is only open for dinner. The teppanyaki restaurant has offered a $15 pp breakfast which is available to anyone and includes unlimited Mimosas, but I'm not sure if this is now offered on all ships, all the time.

On the Gem, I saw they were offering breakfast at Le Bistro for $15 pp. so maybe it depends which ship will offer breakfast for a charge? I don't know, I didn't go there, the breakfast didn't look that outstanding that I would pay $15 for it. The $20 for dinner there, OTOH..... yum.

Thanks so much for that thorough review! We are also a family of four (with a 13 and 10 year old at time of cruise) who have booked an "AB" suite on the Gem for this December. Your info was very helpful, especially the suggestion to carry off your own bags! Can they be rolled off or are there stairs one has to go down to disembark? We are staying the night before in NYC but will be driving home to Mass the morning we head off. WHile the suite is more expensive than booking two cabins which we did our last cruise on RCCL I am hoping the extra space and perks are worth it. We don't cruise that often so I want it to be a special time for all four of us. I must say the breakfast and lunch in Cagney's does sound very nice as does the butler having food and drinks waiting for you in the afternoon when we return to our cabin. You need to keep the children fed and watered to keep them happy!

Did you enjoy the Great Outdoors on Gem? That was our favorite spot on NCL Pearl. It has an outdoor buffet area for breakfast, but DH and I enjoyed the bar area with a flatscreen tv at either end of the bar so DH could watch ESPN score updates. Every night we would stop there for a late night cup of tea under the stars before heading back to our inside cabin.

We usually book inside cabins for our 3-5 night cruises and balcony cabins for 7+ days. We've only had one suite. It was nice but not nice enough for us to pay for again unless there was a promotion. Perhaps we'll change our minds when our grandchildren cruise with us.

It was funny that the OP didn't enjoy the Asian restaurant because that is what we like most on our NCL cruises. I guess we all have different tastes. A friend of mine recently dined at Cagney's and didn't like all the noise. She prefers LeBistro--best of all, it is only $15pp.

We cruise on Carnival, Princess, NCL, and RCCL and enjoy each of them. We don't have a favorite cruiseline. NCL definetely has the best variety of restaurants. My favorite food was on Princess but I was bored with the exact same decor in each of their two anytime dining rooms. At least NCL gives you options from a large traditional dining room to a small intimate venue like LeBistro. I like that LaCucina has a pizza parlor decor for casual dining. There is something for everybody. I still say the tempura and steak terriyaki we had on NCL Pearl was the best we've had anywhere.

We are counting down the months until we sail GEM in January. Can't wait for the great entertainment, especially the bands in the Spinnaker Lounge. We dance more on NCL ships than any other. I also love the cruises with the hypnotist act. It is so unique and so funny. We recently cruised RCCL Explorer of the Seas and were very disappointed having singing acts almost every night of our 12 night cruise. NCL does a much better job with the variety of their entertainment.

I've learned that there is no such thing as a perfect cruise--just a great cruise. Anytime I'm not working, is a great cruise for me.

Archived