Can children order off of the adult menu also?

The waiters encourage the children to order off the adult menu!

I wanted to mention that while many of RCI's desserts leave a lot to be desired, on the children's menu, there is a brownie sundae that's a wonderful end to the meal. We all ordered it one night, and adults at the tables around us were all envious, and as the cruise went on, more and more people were ordering this dessert off the children's menu! :)

Our daughters (7 and 9) ordered from the adult menu every night. They loved the escargot, lamb and roasted duck. They still talk about it. It helps if the kids are adventurous eaters. This is a great way to expand their culinary experiences.

Thanks for the chuckle Grandapgrouch! :)

In the couple of cruises we have done with kids, it was our expereince that the waiters will go out of their way to please the kids - pretty much can come up with anything they want. You may also find a few table tricks thown in!

This will be our first cruise bringing our children along. They are under 10. I would assume that they can use the adult menu if they would like to?

Yes, they can. And if you desire you can eat off of the kids menu as well. I know as I have did it.;)

This will be our first cruise bringing our children along. They are under 10. I would assume that they can use the adult menu if they would like to?

Yes.... but there will be a SURCHARGE! J/K!!!!!!!! ;)

This is a great way to expand their culinary experiences.

Exactly! It's how my son discovered he LOVED shrimp cocktail when he was 8 or 9 years old. And once he did - the wonderful waiter made sure he could have one EVERY night!

Now he's 23, and actually not a very adventurous eater. But I took him on my last cruise with me, and he decided that every night he was going to have the special of the night, whatever it was. And for the most part, he liked it (at least, he ATE it!). Couldn't get him to try escargot, though! (just as well, means more for me! :D )

However, he didn't know until a few nights into the cruise that he was allowed to order more than one entree, and being the hollow-legged creature that many young men of a certain age are, he was going to the Windjammer after dinner and getting more food! Actually, I think he pretty much kept that pattern up for the whole cruise, since it gave him the ability to let his "first dinner" settle a little bit, and then choose foods and portions according to his state-of-stomach.

I enjoyed your pictures and your comment! :) I am looking forward to my children trying new foods. I hope my son who is 5 yrs. old will have a new favorite food besides peanut butter and jelly after this cruise! lol

My boys are 9 and 15 now, but started sailing when they were 3 and 9. They've eaten food that they would never have had the chance to try, i.e., escargot, frog legs, different types of fish, clams, etc.... To this day, they will almost eat any type of cuisine, from Indian, to Vietnamese, to Central American, etc.... I can thank the cruise lines for this, you've saved us lots of $$$$!

My boys are 9 and 15 now, but started sailing when they were 3 and 9. They've eaten food that they would never have had the chance to try, i.e., escargot, frog legs, different types of fish, clams, etc.... To this day, they will almost eat any type of cuisine, from Indian, to Vietnamese, to Central American, etc.... I can thank the cruise lines for this, you've saved us lots of $$$$!

I was concerned about taking my 5 year old on a cruise. You took a 3 year old and decided to cruise with the kids again. Obviously cruising with young children is not as difficult as I think it will be! lol I think it's great that your children have been able to experience all types of cuisine by cruising!

I was concerned about taking my 5 year old on a cruise. You took a 3 year old and decided to cruise with the kids again. Obviously cruising with young children is not as difficult as I think it will be! lol I think it's great that your children have been able to experience all types of cuisine by cruising!

For us, we think it's the best vacation a family can take. Next month will be there 3rd or 4th cruise! Your 5 year old will have a BLAST!!!!!!!!! It's a lot of work, but the camp is awesome, take advantage of it!!!!

My 3 year old is ready to go on her 5th cruise. :D :D :D :D

We wouldn't have it any other way. :D

And she's an adventurous eater too, she tries everything.

Spoiled brat!!! Jk! It's the way to go!

Have either one of you used the baby sitting service? If yes, how does it work?

Never.. I believe it's after 10:00 PM until 1:00 or 2:00 AM.... $5.00 or $10 an hour.... We usually travel with family, so we haven't had to use this service.

One of our favorite memories of our first cruise was when our DD, 21 mos old at the time, announced as we were getting ready for dinner that she wanted shrimp, rice and spinach to eat! :eek: We immediately started warning her that while we'd TRY that might not be a choice, BUT when we got to the dining room, low and behold, one of the adult entrees that night was exactly that! So we had a very happy toddler ordering off of the adult menu and parents who were wondering if there could be some truth to stories of psychic powers! ;) Now at almost 9, she has no interest whatsoever in the kids' menu.

Never.. I believe it's after 10:00 PM until 1:00 or 2:00 AM.... $5.00 or $10 an hour.... We usually travel with family, so we haven't had to use this service.

That sounds like the Carnival babysitting service. On RCCL it works differently. RCCL offers inroom babysitting during the evening hours. I'm not certain of the price.

I highly recommend the OP visits the Family Cruising board as there are several helpful posters there, including those that can give her advice on the incabin babysitting. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Actually RCCL works the same as Carnival after 10pm with the exception of doing in cabin sitting.

You have two options

--Before 10pm, the child can go to AO or you can choose in cabin sitting (at night). Before 10pm, Adventure Ocean is free (see the compasses in my siggie)...after 10pm, AO becomes $5/hour each kid. It's called the Late Night Party Zone, runs till about 1am

--Or you can choose in cabin sitting. It's not guaranteed. You have to book as soon as your board. And the price is now up to $12 per hour.

My three year old is also an adventurous eater so, I plan her to order off the adult menu; however, I will ask the waiter to give her half the portion size. She doesn't eat enough for a full size.

Archived