Don't Laugh!! Converter??

jens1097

LEAVE THE HAIRDRYER HOME!!!!!

If you read the NCL literature and restrictions, you are not supposed to bring ANY heat-generating electrical appliance on board, whether it's a hairdryer, portable coffee pot, electric hot plate, or soldering iron.

The mechanics of it though: Many hairdryers can switch to Euro voltage (hence the plug adapter) but if it cannot, you need a converter capable of supplying the wattage your dryer requires--if you have an 1800watt dryer, the converter MUST be capable of delivering that at a minimum. (BTW, Watts are Watts at any voltage).

Plus, your outlet must be able to support that wattage. Outlets are rated in Amps. Since the formula is Watts = Volts * Amps, for 1800 watts, at 240 volts, the OUTLET must be rated for 7.5 amps, minimum. At 220 volts, this minimum amp rating rises to 8.5 amps.

At 115 volts, 1800 watts requires MORE than 15 amps from the outlet.

So...leave the dryer home. NCL has dryers in the cabins.

If you read the NCL literature and restrictions, you are not supposed to bring ANY heat-generating electrical appliance on board, whether it's a hairdryer, portable coffee pot, electric hot plate, or soldering iron.

And PLEASE don't bring a welding torch :eek: to make repairs on the balcony or secure your cabin door ;)

LEAVE THE HAIRDRYER HOME!!!!!

The mechanics of it though: Many hairdryers can switch to Euro voltage (hence the plug adapter) but if it cannot, you need a converter capable of supplying the wattage your dryer requires--if you have an 1800watt dryer, the converter MUST be capable of delivering that at a minimum. (BTW, Watts are Watts at any voltage).

Plus, your outlet must be able to support that wattage. Outlets are rated in Amps. Since the formula is Watts = Volts * Amps, for 1800 watts, at 240 volts, the OUTLET must be rated for 7.5 amps, minimum. At 220 volts, this minimum amp rating rises to 8.5 amps.

At 115 volts, 1800 watts requires MORE than 15 amps from the outlet.

So...leave the dryer home. NCL has dryers in the cabins.

bravo! bravo! spoken like a true EE.

PSEG? Con Ed, perhaps? yeah i agree with keeping the potential fire hazards at home.

bravo! bravo! spoken like a true EE.

PSEG? Con Ed, perhaps? yeah i agree with keeping the potential fire hazards at home.

Me? Thanks for the compliment, but, no, I'm just your usual handy-dandy-andy who fixes or builds pretty much everything at home if I have time, and collects tools like Ismelda Marcos collects shoes!

This is REALLY basic electricity--you get those rules in HS physics class (and probably forgot them).

AS IT READS "MADE IN CHINA BY HELEN OF TROY, INC'

This hairdryer was recommended on the CC boards to use on the Spirit:

Revlon International Travel Dryer Stylix Ion Select (1875 watt)

It's available at Wal*Mart for under $20.00.

• 2 weeks later...

Well...I did not LEAVE THE HAIRDRYER HOME. And I did read the NCL paperwork which stated I could bring my hair dryer. So I did. Plugged it into the outlet and did not blow up the ship nor did I short anything out. Also did not short out any cabins. Thanks to those that actually answered by question. BTW...not everything requires a comment. For those that are worried about bringing their hairdryer...mine is 1875 watts and worked fine. And no...the one on board would not work because it would not accept my diffuser.

Archived