Passport ??

halliewd

I recently got married and will be taking my husbands name.....I'm in the process of changing everything over (SS - Drivers license) don't really want to I have to pay to switch my passport that will be expiring in a couple years if I don't have to.....can I just travel with a copy of my marriage license if questioned.

I know I sound cheap (and I am ;) ) but shoot I only use my PP once a year

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri/faq/faq_1741.html#ca12

Here is the link to FAQ in which it answers your question about if you have to change the name. It looks like you have to do it within 1 year of the inssuance date on the passport. At least that is what I understood it to be.

Now depending on where and when you are cruising, you might not need the passport. When I traveled without a passport (June 2006), I only used my birth certificate (official) and my driver's license which had my married name on it. I did not bring my marriage certificate. They are used to this, there were no questions asked about it.

Now would you have questions asked about using a passport with birth name and driver's license with married name?, I don't know.

I would also definitely call and confirm with the cruiseline.

And no you don't sound cheap to me, I wouldn't have gotten ours if I had known that we still wouldn't need them this summer.

I recently got married and will be taking my husbands name.....I'm in the process of changing everything over (SS - Drivers license) don't really want to I have to pay to switch my passport that will be expiring in a couple years if I don't have to.....can I just travel with a copy of my marriage license if questioned.

I know I sound cheap (and I am ;) ) but shoot I only use my PP once a year

i guess since some of your IDs are in your married name, versus your maiden name...you wanna know if you really have to get your passport in the same name as the rest of your IDs.

in the spirit of Homeland Security and all that is "safe", i personally would ensure all your IDs say the same name across the board. i mean...just to make things as easy as possible on your vacation. if your cruise is far enough away you can get it redone with your new name...consider it. yes check that link above and see if there is also something about "updating" your passport to your married name.

and yes...even if you use your passport once a year...if you divide the cost across 10 years...its' still a bargain and not worth any headaches...but that's just me.

Archived