Passport Signatures

k2

Here is a silly question tht I cannnot find a simple answer to, so I decided to come to my trusty friends here... When signing your passport, if your full middle name is on the document, do you have use the full middle name in the signature? What age determines if a child can sign for themselves and how do you sign for your child? Thank You All.... You are the best!

I travel about 200k miles a year - much of that international. My signature on my passport is how I would normally sign my name: first name, middle initial, last name. I do not spell out my middle name as it is printed on the passport. I do not know the answer about children's signatures.

You just need to use your regular signature. You do not need to sign your full middle name. DH just signed first and last even though his middle name is on his passport.

As for the kids, I don't know about the age, but here is the answer from the US Dept. of State website:

My child is too young to sign his/her own passport. How do I sign my child's passport?

In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child's name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent's name, write the word (mother) or (father) so we know who signed for the child.

Our kids are 7 yrs and 9 yrs and both DH and I actually signed their passports, noting (Mother) and (Father) in parentheses next to our signatures.

In any case, I don't think the signatures even really get looked at. They are more concerned with the name and the picture.

In any case, I don't think the signatures even really get looked at. They are more concerned with the name and the picture.

The signatures do get looked at, even scrutinized (as I said, I pass through CBP a great deal). If you do not sign your passport, it will most likely get noticed the first time you try to use it.

Here is a silly question tht I cannnot find a simple answer to, so I decided to come to my trusty friends here... When signing your passport, if your full middle name is on the document, do you have use the full middle name in the signature? What age determines if a child can sign for themselves and how do you sign for your child? Thank You All.... You are the best!

The rule just changed FEb 1, 2008 for the age of a child to sign their own passport. It is now 16 or over, they can sign themselves, but need their own picture ID, or else a parent must supply their picture ID, but the child can still sign their own application. Also a witness can to the 16 yr old ( other than a parnet) can fill out the witness form and use thier picture id.

The above is correct on how to sign for the child (under 16). One parent prints the childs name on the applicant's form and writes either (mother ) or (father) aside of the printed childs name( whichever printed the childs name). Both parents must be present for the under 16 yr olds application or provide documentation as to why one is not present ( death cert., court order showing sole custody, etc.)

Can Not locate is Not a Legitimate reason!

As for the applicant signing the application, you sign it the way you sign your signature for all other forms. If you use your entire name, you sign it that way, if you don't use your middle name then you don't sign your application with it either.

Archived