Montego Bay w/ kids

Texas Mouse

I am looking at the excursions offered at this port by carnival and nothing is jumping out at me. We are not shoppers and I don't want an hour to hour and half bus ride anywhere. Would probably like to just find a nice beach with a bar to hang out at for a few hours. I don't want a real rowdy place that wouldn't be good for my kids though. They are 10 and 8. Any suggestions.

Hi, we went to Sunset Beach Resort with our daughter (12) and it is a great resort. It is 40.00 per day all inclusive, all drinks and food, even alcohol, nice beach to snorkel, water toys, and no hassle from anybody regarding anything. This is a completely worry-free enjoyable day for all who went with us. This is without a doubt our plans for October also....if you have any ?'s ask away....oh, almost forgot, 12 and under I think are 20.00..

I really recommend Sunset Beach Resort. I don't think we did snorkeling here since we were doing that somewhere else but they have the beach, obviously, and also pools, hot tubs, a water slide, play ground. Plus it includes your food and drink for the day. It is really an awesome deal. We went a few years ago and plan to go back next week on our cruise.

I thoroughly enjoyed Dunn's River Falls but the bus ride was very, very long!! I felt like we spent most of our time getting there and back and did not get to enjoy Jamaica. We enjoyed Sunset a lot.

KoolBeans & Cruizie - how did you get to Sunset Beach? Via taxi or is it within walking distrance from the pier? Did you have to reserve ahead of time or just walk in? I'm also traveling with 2 kids - 9 and 13 and want them to have fun but be safe. Thanks.qnd a and haven't seen anan/ang w

• 3 weeks later...
KoolBeans & Cruizie - how did you get to Sunset Beach? Via taxi or is it within walking distrance from the pier? Did you have to reserve ahead of time or just walk in? I'm also traveling with 2 kids - 9 and 13 and want them to have fun but be safe. Thanks.qnd a and haven't seen anan/ang w

We took a taxi - I wouldn't want to be walking around jamaica!! The resort is fabulous. Food and drinks are average to above average. My kids - 7 and 10 - LOVED the pools - nice break from the saltwater for them. There are several pools - one with water slides and lazy river, one with a volley ball net, and one with a swim up bar I think, but we didn't go to that one. No reservations ahead of time. Very safe at the resort.

Jamaica:

We were nervous about getting off in Jamaica but had booked a private tour prior to going and never felt threatened in any way. The Jamaicans we encountered were very kind and eager to share their culture. We went to Mayfield falls and it was very pretty. It was about an hours drive, but a scenic one. The mountain road that you have to take to get there (everyone warned was dangerous), wasn't as bad as I expected (we have pot holes that size in Oklahoma). If you've ever been Jeeping or 4wheeling, it's not a big deal. Our driver was very careful to go slow and not jolt us around too bad. The falls were beautiful, (I had been to Dunn's before) and there were only about 20 of us climbing that morning. Avoid the crowds if you're debating between Dunn's & Mayfield. Mayfield is half as far as Dunn's (from MoBay). Dunn's is now very commercialized. Mayfield is still very natural & pristine. It is limestone steps throughout a river. I did hit my knee a few times on rocks and was trying to be cautious of my healing foot (previously broken). It was mildly adventurous. We stayed for lunch (I took a picnic from room service ordered the night before) and were back in MoBay a couple of hours before departure. They have picnic area (& serve lunch as well). Lockers & changing rooms available also. If you go to Mayfield, tell Danielle that the family that gave her an "old" Jamaican $2 bill says "Hello" and "Thank you for a wonderful time".

Archived