Looking for Good Beach in Ports

Suetwom2

All I want is to get to a beach, but I'm having a hard time finding it with NCL Cruise Line. They offer shopping & going to a beach in one trip. I just want to get off the ship and go to a beach for the day. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this on my own, were NCL doesn't offer just beaching it for a day. Ports are Port Canaveral, Nassua, Freeport.

HELP:eek:

It is very easy in Nassau. Take a cab to the public beaches at each port. They are very inexpensive in the caribbean.

Nassau: Definetely take a cab to the public beach on Paradise Island. Otherwise, you can take a water taxi from the pier to Paradise Island for about $6pp roundtrip. When you get off the water taxi, just walk straight across the intersection and keep walking until you see the public beach sign (about 15 minute walk). Paradise Island is small and very nice and easy to navigate on your own. There is a lovely clean shopping area along the waterfront next to Atlantis with plenty of places to grab a bite to eat or have a drink.

Freeport has a wonderful beach at Lucaya.

Port Canaveral is also located next to a wonderful beach. If you want to rent a car for the day, Thrifty Car Rental has a shuttle bus that picks up and drops off at the ship. We rented a car for $20. Cape Canaveral Seashore National Park is north on Interstate 95 and definetely a wonderful beach. There are also nice beaches south of Port Canaveral near Patrick Air Force Base.

While booking an excursion through the ship has its advantages, it isn't a must do for your vacation. You're free to do as you wish at each port. Just be VERY aware of your time and making it back to the ship. She will leave without you if she has to. That is one of the advantages of a ship excursion, they will wait for those booked with them. On the other hand, ship excursions can also be more expensive and more crowded. $50 for a bus tour with 50 other people as opposed to $25 for the same tour with a knowledgable local taxi driver and maybe 2 others.

You've gotten some great information from Leafpeeper and you can also check out the Ports of Call boards to find tons of info.

Have fun!:)

All I want is to get to a beach, but I'm having a hard time finding it with NCL Cruise Line. They offer shopping & going to a beach in one trip. I just want to get off the ship and go to a beach for the day. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this on my own, were NCL doesn't offer just beaching it for a day. Ports are Port Canaveral, Nassua, Freeport.

We have never had a problem with getting off the ship, hiring a cab to where we wanted to go. The cab driver gives us his/her card and we call them to pick us up or, if you know what time you want to be picked-up..just tell them.

I, also, do not go on a cruise to shop:(

Enjoy your cruise:)

We have never had a problem with getting off the ship, hiring a cab to where we wanted to go. The cab driver gives us his/her card and we call them to pick us up or, if you know what time you want to be picked-up..just tell them.

I, also, do not go on a cruise to shop:(

Enjoy your cruise:)

Why the frowning face? "I, also, do not go on a cruise to shop".??

I hate to shop here at home, but love to look at the different shops when we are on vacation.:confused: A woman I work with just wore a beautiful scarf to work today; she purchased it in Kenya last year on one of her travels.

Hi!

I can help you as I've been to 2 of these 3 places, and am going to the third in 2 weeks!

Nassau: I've done tons of research. There are a few possibilities. You can walk behind the Straw Market and take the #10 jitney (bus) to Cable Beach for $1pp, exact change.

You can take a cheap water taxi (watch out, it takes forever- better to take it going there than coming back) or regular taxi ride to Paradise Island where there is a beach.(I do not recommend this, a lot of walking and few clear signs. We ended up finding a public beach where you had to walk up a huge hill made of sand...not pleasant. It was also extremely crowded for a realtively cool and cloudy day.)

We are spending the day at the British Colonial Hilton (BCH). It is next door to Senor Frog's on Bay Street, a 10 minute walk from the ship. For a $20 day pass (recently upped from $15) which you get right at the front desk when you arrive, you'll get towels, chairs, umbrellas, pool and beach access, as well as lifeguards, restrooms, etc. Many people point out that two blocks beyond is a free public beach with a public restroom and a soda/beer stand across the street. As two women traveling alone and not familiar with the people/region, I'd just prefer the security...plus the conch fritters!

My friend and I found a deal for a $40 day pass to the BCH that includes the admission, plus a $30 voucher for food and drinks... seems pretty great to me! We will be sipping margaritas by the ocean all day. The voucher includes alcohol, I asked specifically! It's also been mentioned by many that for a touristy place, their outdoor bar and grill is very reasonably priced.

Port Canaveral: We've found that the best deal here is to take NCL's Cocoa Beach Excursion. I believe it is 13 dollars or something and is just a continuous air-conditioned coach shuttle to Cocoa Beach. It is a 10-15 minute ride, so a taxi would be more expensive and less reliable. Beautiful beach, clean water, uncrowded. There's plenty of stores, beach-front restaurants, etc. I know you're not a shopper, but you never know when you need a Walgreen's or some steamers! Ron Jon's Surf Shop is also located here and I found the prices to be fairly reasonable. I got some travel mugs for 5 dollars each.

Freeport/Grand Bahama: The only one I haven't been to. It is my understanding that taxis line up at the port and pretty much all they do is take you to Lucaya Beach. Shared taxis, like in Nassau. Not expensive-- 5 dollarsish? There's a square here with music, restrooms, stores, etc. There doesn't seem much else to do within a reasonable budget, but I am very happy about that. We're major beach bums and a good tan is pretty much our only goal for vacation!

Hope this helped, feel free to ask more questions. I think you'll find a great deal of information if you check out the Ports of Call section and click on Bahamas.

Happy Cruising!

Archived