'Sun' to western Caribbean

ruthslaughter

We are booked on the 'Sun' for western Caribbean on 1/22/05. Very much looking forward to the cruise. Can anyone tell me about the ports of Belize, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Roatan. Do you have to tender? Is the walk to disembark very long? Have you been to any of the ruins? Is the shoopping good?

How does the 'Sun' compare with the 'Spirit'? We cruised to AK on the 'Spirit' and loved it. The ship was beautiful. :)

Would appreciate any info.

Ruth

ruthslaught@yahoo.com

We were on the Sun in Alaska this summer. We loved the ship and had a great cruise. We were also on the Sea last January, and called at the same ports with the exception of Grand Cayman (we did Cancun instead).

Other than Grand Cayman, which I don't know about, I think your only tender port should be Belize. We docked at both Roatan and Cozumel. I don't recall the walks being very long.

We did ruins in both Belize and Cozumel. In Belize we went to Altun Ha, and in Cozumel we went to Tulum. We found both places to be very interesting, and very different, so that we didn't feel like we were repeating the previous excursion.

I've read lots of posts from people who didn't like Belize, but it was our favorite port. I'm not a big shopper, but the shops in the "tourist village" had a pretty good variety, and did not have the extremely pushy vendors that you find in Cancun.

Since we went to Tulum (the excursion was booked through NCL), we took a ferry across to Playa del Carman, and never did get right into Cozumel. We also enjoyed the shopping in Playa del Carman, and, again, the vendors didn't seem as annoying as the ones later in Cancun. From what I've read, the vendors in Cozumel are about as bad as the ones in Cancun.

Ruth,

I found lots of great information looking at the ports of call boards. There is information on excursions, shopping, tendering, etc.

The review that cliffd64 posted was very good, but the ports of call were different than the current Sun itinerary (exotic Western).

Archived