Colony beach club or sea grape beach

gmabcd

has anyone been to the Colony Beach club recently??? How are the facilitites?? how is the beach? is there any entrance fee or do you just pay for chairs and umbrella's? can you book the colony beach club without doing it thru RCCL??

How is the Colony beach club compared to Sea grape beach?? anyone know??? Thanks

I'd personally stay away from Colony Beach Club, especially if they charge an entrance fee. I'd take a cab to either Sea Grape or Royal Palms. RP's is closer than SG to the port area, but they both are on the 7MB stretch and offer the same type of things...food, chairs, water sports. You don't pay an entrance fee for these two places, you only pay for chairs (if you want to rent them) and food or water toy rentals. You could go there and plop a towel down and not pay a thing.

I believe Kirk operates our of Royal Palms.

http://www.kirkseatours.com/diveshop.shtml

Here's the webcam at RP, so you can see the set-up.

http://www.reefgrill.net/netcam/index.html

Red Sail operates out of (or right next to) Sea Grape.

http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_index.html

I'd not book anything though the ship. I'd get there, grab a cab to one of these places, and then grab a cab back to the port area. There are plenty lined up at these locations. The cabs are types that hold more than 4 people, so you may have to wait until the cab is full, so just factor that in when planning your day. Grand Cayman is one of those rare Caribbean islands where you can do your own thing, and not have a worry in the world. :)

We did the Colony Beach Club through RCCL on March 18th, 2008 and I really enjoyed it. The time allowed there is actually plentiful, and there seem to be buses running regularly back to the pier. They do not really check to see how long you have been there. We purchased the Seven Mile Beach Break with Transportation, so ordered food off of the menu which had good sandwiches, a nice change from the rich food on the ship, although I love that rich food. Provided is a free welcome punch, rum or no rum; your choice. The free drinks were on the weaker side, but we ordered more from the bar which were stronger. Since we had not been to GC before, and I was also recovering from surgery, I wanted a guarantee to have a spot on the beach with a chair, etc. without having to struggle to find such a location with five ships in port that day. There were quite a few people on the beach in the chairs, but nothing compared to the crowded ship pool chairs, and none of us felt cramped, and you are guaranteed a beach chair. The water and beach were beautiful, although snorkeling not great said my fourteen year old daughter, who is a novice.The resort is colorful, Old Caribbean style, not a big chain resort and we all thought it was perfect. Music played on the stereo system, but it was more of a calypso sound with a french influence, rather than reggae (which I happen to like, but have heard plenty), so this added personality. I peeked in some of the rooms in which vacationers stay, and they seemed perfectly adequate, with the hotel guests' beach area being separated from the cruisers, which looked more secluded, but our cruiser side was perfectly enjoyable, as well. I would like to go back to the Colony Beach Club for a land vacation. The only drawback to this excursion was that when we met in the theatre at 9:00 a.m as directed for our excursion to be called, there was total mayhem due to stingray city being cancelled that day, which was the only thing the one solitary crew member in charge of upwards of hundreds of people who had booked excursions seemed to care about, and no one was given consideration except those who had booked stingray city. This was a minor inconvenience, and once we got on the bus with our extremely happy and entertaining driver, all of the stress we endured trying to get to our excursion was forgotten. I'm really glad we did it and want to go again. Also, this place is very clean. I went into the restroom/changing room and it was the cleanest I have ever seen. Absolutely spotless. The entire resort was quaint, and although a lot of experienced Grand Cayman visitors have plenty of advice, I was happily surprised based on the negative reviews of this excursion, some of which are made by people who have not done the Colony Beach club but sometimes give advice based on what they have heard; not what they experienced. I know alot of people say this, but I have traveled extensively, sometimes to luxury resorts (I'm not trying to brag, but give some of my experience as a baseline) and was not at all disappointed in this excursion. I thought it was resonably priced, also. In fact, I prefer the smaller, intimate atmosphere where one can gain a feel for the island.

GjClay,

Thanks for the review of Colony Beach. I aprreciate it. are there water sports activities for purchase. such as waverunners, water bikes, kayaks and such?? I promised my son we could rent jet ski's.

Thanks

Does Sea Grape Beach and Beach Colony Club have water sports activies such as jet ski's and kayaks and water bikes??? promised my kids we will do this on cayman island. Which beach is best for this??? Thanks

GjClay,

Thanks for the review of Colony Beach. I aprreciate it. are there water sports activities for purchase. such as waverunners, water bikes, kayaks and such?? I promised my son we could rent jet ski's.

Thanks

I'm sorry for the delay in answering; I have been sick and hope I'm not too late since I didn't go back over the posts to see if it was mentioned when you are going.

At the Beach Club the waverunner was around 75.00, I think for one hour. The other activities we recall them offering were kayaking, parasailing and of course the snorkeling equipment for 10.00 for the entire day. My daughter made some friends at the beach with whom she snorkeled, but they didn't see anything, however, she does not really know much about snorkeling.

There were people of all ages in the water, but the swimming area was not at all crowded and was shallow for a long ways, and since I don't do anything but get a little wet, can't say where it got deeper. It seemed that everyone was enjoying the place.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try to check this board more regularly.

Archived