Input please about post cruise half day Vancouver

We'll be getting off the Tahitian Princess (670 pax) and it's the only ship that day (I think). I don't fly out until 3:00 PM and would like to do little something in Vancouver. I'm trying to figure out what is doable for the 2 of us. I can't do the ships excursion of touring through Capilano Canyon since it's only open to those with flights after 3:30 PM.

Rent a car to go to the suspension bridge? Could I pick it up at the port and drop it off at the airport? That would save having to check my bags. I tried looking on the public transportation site and it doesn't go into June and when I tried plugging in another date it didn't work. To use public transportation, I'd have to check my bags (approx $24), pay to ride the bus, bridge admission, and then the price of getting to the airport.

Check bags, double decker bus, then trip to airport?

Does this seem worth it for a short time? Any input would be appreciated.

You are not going to have a lot of time because you are still going to have to get off the ship, get your bags, clear CDN customs,check your bags, get your tour, get your bags after the tour, get a cab which can take some time, allow 45 mins to airport and be there 2 hrs early if you are returning to the US. However here is a link to Vancouver's trolly. http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/citytours/tour.html

Rent a car to go to the suspension bridge? Could I pick it up at the port and drop it off at the airport? That would save having to check my bags.
Yes, you can rent it at, or close to, the port and drop it off at the airport. Note that some car rental companies will charge you a one-way rental fee. Try National/Alamo as they have a desk right at the Canada Place Lobby. Otherwise, other rental companies like Budget and Enterprise will pick you up from the terminal.

I tried looking on the public transportation site and it doesn't go into June and when I tried plugging in another date it didn't work. To use public transportation, I'd have to check my bags (approx $24), pay to ride the bus, bridge admission, and then the price of getting to the airport.
You can try entering an April date; it will still give you an idea of how long it would take you to get there (the schedule remains pretty much the same). Personally, I would probably not bother with public transport (much less a car rental because you still have to pay for gas and parking) to Capilano. It's too much mucking about to see a suspension bridge for an hour; there are other things to see around Vancouver that will give you better value for your money given the short time that you have here. But, if you are dead set on seeing the suspension bridge, by all means, please do not let my comments stop you. :)

Check bags, double decker bus, then trip to airport? Does this seem worth it for a short time?
This is probably the best idea thus far. Alternatively, you can skip paying the $35 for the hop-on-hop-off and just check your bags, then walk a few blocks to see gastown (if you're in the mood to eat something inexpensive but good, try Brioche). Once you've had enough of gastown, and if you still have time, take public transport, or take a 20-minute walk along the coal harbour seawall, to Stanley Park. Stanley Park has a free shuttle that will take you around the park. From there, you can go back to claim your bags and take the airporter bus to the airport for about $13.50 - cheaper than a cab, but sometimes not as convenient.

JMHO.:) I just want you to enjoy what our wonderful city has to offer. I also agree with Putterdude, though. Depending on what time you get off the ship, you might not have enough time to do all this. Gastown maybe, but is it worth it considering you would need to check in your bags for $24?

Another possibility. There is another thread talking about hiring a limo for

a sightseeing trip ending up at the airport. Considering all the costs involved

in a do-it-yourself plan, this might be as cost-effective and a lot less hassle.

The bags would be in the trunk, the driver would go wherever you wanted to

go and you would set the schedule. As mentioned, you would not have a lot

of time for this considering the time for formalities off the ship and onto the

plane. Best not to plan too much and be disappointed.

Thanks for these thoughts/ideas. Since the Tahitian Princess is new to this port, I have no idea how efficient they will be with disembarkation. Hubby & I would be able to do the self/early debarkation IF they have it and would get a little bit of a jumpstart to our day, IF the ship gets cleared.

Lots of IF's and unclear timing.....oh well, it's still another day away from work.

Thanks...now I'm probably going to post another thread on Victoria and hope for some more great CC'ers to help me there.

I have two questions about the Trolley as we have decided that's how we're going to tour the city. We get to Vancouver at 8:00am and I assume disembark around 10:00am. As I'd like to avoid the MASS CONFUSION:eek: of the first wave and have a leisurely breakfast on the ship I'd like to know how much time do you think we should allow for the Trolley tour to see most of it (even if we pass alot and don't get off everywhere) Our flight is that night at 7:55pm (hoping to get an upgrade so we can checkin quicker) so we will probably need to leave downtown by 5:30p. We plan on storing the luggage at Canada Place.

Also, is there any advantage to buying the Trolley tickets ahead of time online besides saving $1.00 a ticket?

Yes, you can rent it at, or close to, the port and drop it off at the airport. Note that some car rental companies will charge you a one-way rental fee. Try National/Alamo as they have a desk right at the Canada Place Lobby. Otherwise, other rental companies like Budget and Enterprise will pick you up from the terminal.

You can try entering an April date; it will still give you an idea of how long it would take you to get there (the schedule remains pretty much the same). Personally, I would probably not bother with public transport (much less a car rental because you still have to pay for gas and parking) to Capilano. It's too much mucking about to see a suspension bridge for an hour; there are other things to see around Vancouver that will give you better value for your money given the short time that you have here. But, if you are dead set on seeing the suspension bridge, by all means, please do not let my comments stop you. :)

This is probably the best idea thus far. Alternatively, you can skip paying the $35 for the hop-on-hop-off and just check your bags, then walk a few blocks to see gastown (if you're in the mood to eat something inexpensive but good, try Brioche). Once you've had enough of gastown, and if you still have time, take public transport, or take a 20-minute walk along the coal harbour seawall, to Stanley Park. Stanley Park has a free shuttle that will take you around the park. From there, you can go back to claim your bags and take the airporter bus to the airport for about $13.50 - cheaper than a cab, but sometimes not as convenient.

JMHO.:) I just want you to enjoy what our wonderful city has to offer. I also agree with Putterdude, though. Depending on what time you get off the ship, you might not have enough time to do all this. Gastown maybe, but is it worth it considering you would need to check in your bags for $24?

Thanks! These are great links. I just saw the Stanley Park Shuttle doesn't start until June 17 so I guess I won't be seeing that in April:rolleyes: But the Gastown and seawall sound good as well as the trolley tour. And I had no idea about the airporter bus! Sounds like that will be better than a cab.

Archived