Nice beach to get married on?

KTG UK

Hi,

I am getting married in Maui in Aug staying at Westin Maui before our cruise on POAM.

We havnt decided what beach to get married on, i think the kaanapali beach in front of the hotel will be very busy to get married on.

So has anyone got any suggestions on nice beaches we can get married on? or do you think kaanapali will be ok?

Thanks in advance

Katie

Aloha Katie,

Kaanapali Beach is crowded. Some do get married there.....but it is busy down there.

Many like Kapalua Bay...the most popular wedding beach on Maui. Just had a friend/client get married down there. it was awesome. A couple other friends of mine did the service and music. It was nice to see everyone in their element. Beautiful.

The beach in front of the other Westin(time share) is also nice...assuming you are staying at the westin hotel and spa.

How many people are you going to have? Both of these places have good parking and are easily accessible. There are many more places...I like these 2.

Aloha Katie,

Kaanapali Beach is crowded. Some do get married there.....but it is busy down there.

Many like Kapalua Bay...the most popular wedding beach on Maui. Just had a friend/client get married down there. it was awesome. A couple other friends of mine did the service and music. It was nice to see everyone in their element. Beautiful.

The beach in front of the other Westin(time share) is also nice...assuming you are staying at the westin hotel and spa.

How many people are you going to have? Both of these places have good parking and are easily accessible. There are many more places...I like these 2.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.... Yes we are staying at the Westin Maui spa resort.

How far is Kapalui bay beach away from the hotel?

There will be 9 of us so only a small party!!

where would you recommend us having our evening meal?

We were wanting a early wedding arount 2pm rather than sunset.

Thanks

Hello...

Kaanapali (sp?) is our favorite place to stay and over the years we've seen many beautiful weddings performed directly on the beach. Since they're usually at sunset, we often watch from our ocean front lanai and, even in high tourist season, I've always seen people be respectful...staying out of pictures, making room for the wedding party and being quiet during the ceremony. You would see a lot of people smiling at you and wishing you well after your ceremony. You can't find a better sunset.

If I was planning a wedding, I might move it from directly in front of the Marriott down toward Black Rock so that you'd be in front of the Sheraton or Kaanapali Beach Hotel. The beach seems to be a little wider there and, perhaps my imagination, more sheltered from any wind....However, the trade winds usually seem to quiet by sunset. The size of the beach may be my imagination; someone more familiar with the Marriott could give you a better idea.

Congratulations and, whatever you decide, you can't go wrong on Maui!

Aloha!

murphysmum;)

Katie,

It could be very warm at 2pm in August...Kapalua might be a bit cooler, as it is up the road about 10 minutes from Kaanapali. Parking might be more of an issue at 2 pm at the beaches, too. You can always order up a stretch that holds 9 to pick you guys up at the Westin....take you to where you want to go...do you thing in about 30 min. and go off to find something to eat.

The Plantation is a great place to eat...up the road another 5-10.

You can email me if you'd like, I live and work in the area.

moshi63@yahoo.com

My wife and I were married in October of 1996 on the beach in Maui, just north of the Grand Wailea hotel. We hired Jean Keating of Magical Maui Weddings to be our coordinator. She met us on a Friday and arranged for us to all go scouting for locations in Makena and Wailea. She also arranged an appointment for the next day (our wedding day) with a notary public so we could get our wedding license. She hired the photographer and videographer, who were our witnesses (we didn't have a wedding party with us). She gave us a few choices for the minister, and we made a selection from those.

Jean and the minister, photographer and videographer all met us about an hour before sunset at the selected location, and we started with some pictures. It was a sunset wedding, on a Saturday. One thing about sunset weddings - the lighting is terrific, the colors in the clouds and the horizon and awesome, but it is vvvvvvery windy! My wife's (short) dress kept flying around, and we had to hold it down through much of the ceremony.

They somehow got permission from the Grand Wailea to allow us to roam the grounds for pictures and video - we couldn't use their grounds for the actual ceremony, but we did explore the grounds just afterward and got some great photos and video.

They also walked us down to a small beach where Jean had written "Just Maui'ed" in a big heart in the sand, and we got some good pictures in front of that.

The last thing we did was wade out onto some black rocks and get some silhouette-style photos of us with the almost-gone sun leaving the horizon in the background.

I'd highly recommend finding a spot near the Grand Wailea, and then getting permission from them to do some photos on their grounds. It didn't hurt that we bought a floral arrangement from their shops.

And, although we were technically married in Wailea, we named our first daughter Makena.

This May, we'll be on the PoAm, and on our full day in Maui, we plan on returning to this spot to reminisce a bit.

HTH,

ND

Katie,

It could be very warm at 2pm in August...Kapalua might be a bit cooler, as it is up the road about 10 minutes from Kaanapali. Parking might be more of an issue at 2 pm at the beaches, too. You can always order up a stretch that holds 9 to pick you guys up at the Westin....take you to where you want to go...do you thing in about 30 min. and go off to find something to eat.

The Plantation is a great place to eat...up the road another 5-10.

You can email me if you'd like, I live and work in the area.

moshi63@yahoo.com

I thought that to, but he doesnt want to be sitting round all day waiting for the wedding!!

I will try and talk kim round i like the idea of a sunset wedding.

Thank you everyone. Any more advice pls reply x

If you can manage to get up that early, the sunrise weddings are also popular. The beaches are not yet crowded, the colors are terrific, the wind isn't nearly as gusty, and the temperature is cooler.

We're not morning people, so it would not have worked out for us, but it is an option. Just throwin' it out there...

Hi!

I just noticed that you're from the UK, one of my favorite places on earth....but with very different beaches than you'll see in Hawaii.

Wherever you decide to have your wedding, the afternoon wedding "just because he doesn't want to sit around all day waiting", is likely not going to be the wedding of your dreams.

The sand at either Kaanapali or Kapalua will be blazing hot...forget the dreamy barefoot pictures. The temperatures in summer are high and unless your wedding dress is a "sundress", you'll be very uncomfortable. Due to summer vacation, the beach and water will be very crowded with children having a great time...and when children and water meet, children love to scream. All of us who are parents know that! There are a great number of cabanas on the beach at that time, making beach shots appear cluttered. Now, this is a great atmosphere for vacationers, but for a calm, romantic wedding, not great....

As one poster mentioned, the only place you might get the quiet you need is at Hana and unless you stay there it's not a practical to drive for a wedding party.

The idea of very early AM, as someone mentioned, is a good alternative. Maui beaches are beautiful in the AM. Sunset pictures can always be taken later in the day. However, as you're starting your married life, this just might be the time for deciding and stating YOUR preference if it's for sunset, and see how well your mate can "compromise".

This may be inappropriate and unwanted advice, perhaps inappropriate for this board (I'm not sure.), but as a clinical psychologist I do hope that his eagerness to marry early is because he can't wait to be your husband rather than due to a tendency to always want his way. I do apologize if this offends either of you and I wish you a lifetime of happiness..and compromise!

Aloha...

"Dr" murphysmum ;)

Hi!

I just noticed that you're from the UK, one of my favorite places on earth....but with very different beaches than you'll see in Hawaii.

Wherever you decide to have your wedding, the afternoon wedding "just because he doesn't want to sit around all day waiting", is likely not going to be the wedding of your dreams.

The sand at either Kaanapali or Kapalua will be blazing hot...forget the dreamy barefoot pictures. The temperatures in summer are high and unless your wedding dress is a "sundress", you'll be very uncomfortable. Due to summer vacation, the beach and water will be very crowded with children having a great time...and when children and water meet, children love to scream. All of us who are parents know that! There are a great number of cabanas on the beach at that time, making beach shots appear cluttered. Now, this is a great atmosphere for vacationers, but for a calm, romantic wedding, not great....

As one poster mentioned, the only place you might get the quiet you need is at Hana and unless you stay there it's not a practical to drive for a wedding party.

The idea of very early AM, as someone mentioned, is a good alternative. Maui beaches are beautiful in the AM. Sunset pictures can always be taken later in the day. However, as you're starting your married life, this just might be the time for deciding and stating YOUR preference if it's for sunset, and see how well your mate can "compromise".

This may be inappropriate and unwanted advice, perhaps inappropriate for this board (I'm not sure.), but as a clinical psychologist I do hope that his eagerness to marry early is because he can't wait to be your husband rather than due to a tendency to always want his way. I do apologize if this offends either of you and I wish you a lifetime of happiness..and compromise!

Aloha...

"Dr" murphysmum ;)

No offence taken at all..... I agree with you completely.

I told him the sand would be very hot.

I think a sunset wedding is just perfect for us.

I appreciate any advice anyone can give me as ive never been married before and never been to Hawaii before.

Thank You Guys x Katie x

Archived