New YORK

kodiak1

It really depends upon how much you want to spend. There are no hotels that are really close to the piers in Manhattan. (The Carnival ships sail from Manhattan). Since you will have to take a taxi anyway, you have your choice of all the hotels in New York.

The taxi fare will depend on how far you have to go and the time of day. Rush hour ends up costing more because of the traffic congestion.

I agree, it really depends on your budget and desired location. Have you ever been to NYC? Are you going to spend some time there in the city or do you just want somewhere to stay and head to the pier? Those are all going to be factors.

I am not sure the exact formula for cabs in NYC but I know that the meter keeps going even if you are sitting in traffic so the same distance can cost different amounts depending on the traffic flow.

WOW, that must hurt.. in Philadelphia it is distance traveled. Really helps to know that going from the same place to the same place will cost the same (maybe a dollar of two different) no matter what time of day.

WOW, that must hurt.. in Philadelphia it is distance traveled. Really helps to know that going from the same place to the same place will cost the same (maybe a dollar of two different) no matter what time of day.

It's not too bad... it is a reduced cost for sitting in traffic vs actually getting somewhere, but it does add up during high traffic times!!!

You may want to really enjoy NYC, I suggest staying in or near Times Square. You will only need a taxi or car service to the pier, and your hotel can help you with that. There are very affordable options if this is not in your price range.

Plan on coming to NY before your trip. If you have not been here, you will really enjoy it.

You may want to check out tripadvisor dot com, the sister site to cruisecritic. Look at NYC, scroll to the bottom of the homepage and NYC is one of the top cities to click and see. Read the forums or even search that forum for all your answers. Good Luck!

If the prices are very disagreeable to you . . . try the Hilton at Newark Penn Station, or Courtyard Pavonia Newport in New Jersey. The Hilton is adjacent to the train station in Newark,m and for 7 dollars, you can ride to Penn station, and then take a cab. If you plan ahead, you can get this for about 150 a night plus taxes on the weekends. If you have lots of luggage, or dont like the train, cab idea, use carmel limo. Their prices are pretty good, and the rate does not change because of traffic.

The Courtyard in Pavonia Newport is by the PATH station which is a subway train that connects Newark and New York. This is a little more difficult to get to, but often you can get reasonable rates here too.

If you are not comfortable with using public transit, neither of these suggestions would be appropriate for you.

Like others have said it's going to depend on your budget as well. My DH lived in NY city, Manhatten area for 31 years until the last 5 but we still travel back alot because we have lots of friends and some of his family there.

The pier is a short taxi drive to times square area, however, do your homework on hotels in this area. The times square & broadway areas have some really nice hotels but they also have very big prices and the rooms are usually smaller than what people are used to in other areas.

If you can spend a couple of days in NY, there are some great things to do especially if you've never been there but make sure to place in your budget for all the extras. For instance, don't rent a car to stay downtown. Parking fees are huge and taxis can be the better value. Also factor in food which tends to be higher down town as well.

Guest Mary49

There is alos the Edison Hotel on 47th Street NYC. It is affordable and under $200 a night. The Edison Cafe is located in the lobby as well as Sofia's Restaurant. They hail a cab for you also. Mary49

Last Sept was our first trip to NYC. LOVED IT!!!!!!!

Went on Priceline and got the Intercontinental Barclay I think for $166. a night. Parking will kill you. We parked while there and walked everywhere. Will go back again when I can spend more time there.

Archived