Still confused about Panama Canal

Hapinowagain2

We will be on the Coral Princess Dec. 10 going to the Panama Canal. When we get to Gatun Lake is that where people board for their excursions? In other words would we have the experience of going through the locks if we do an excursion? If we elect to stay on the ship, would we just sit on that lake for the rest of the day?

You go through the locks to get into Gatun Lake. If you don't take a tender to shore for an excursion, yes you sit in the lake all afternoon till it's time to go back through the locks to the port of Colon to get off the ship, shop, and meet up with those who did take the excursion (or at least that was my experience in April on the Coral). Maybe there are some variations of the procedure.

We were on the Coral just this last Feb. through the Panama Canal. Here is what happens. First the ship goes through the Gatun Locks, the it is at Gatun Lake. If you decide to go on an excursion you will be tendered off and taken to whatever excursion you go on. If you decide to stay on the ship you will sail around the lake and then be taken back through the Gatun locks where the excursion people will board.

We took the ocean to ocean excursion and were tendered off and taken by bus to another location where we boarded a 200 passenger boat and then were taken to the other two locks on the Pacific Ocean side. It was a great experience being on the Coral going through one lock and a smaller boat going through the other two locks. At the last lock we were then taken back to the ship by bus. I would highly recommend the ocean to ocean to anyone and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you have any more questions please let me know.

Marilyn

Just as a follow up to mii's note above, when we were on the Coral in April, the excursions seemed to fill up and sell out rather quickly. And as you can only do Princess excursions (you can't get off the boat otherwise), anyone who wants to take one should probably book early.

Archived