Southern Caribbean Snorkle advise

My son and I have snorkeled a few times in the past and really enjoy it. On the 13th of April we are on the AOS for the southern Caribbean trip. We are stopping at Aruba, Curacao, St Thomas and St Martin. Could we please get some advise on good locations or who you booked the trip with so we can make the best of our time. We have been told Curacao is awesome for that but no one can remember where it was they snorkeled there.... a little help from your great experiences would be much appreciated.

Rent a car and go to Baby Beach in Aruba. This was the best snorkelling we did. The driving is not ridiculous. There's only one road around the island. On St. Thomas take a cab to Coki Beach for around $16 return and take dog biscuits with you. The water is beautiful and you will love all the fish. You can snorkel three feet off the shore. It's great.

After experiencing many snorkeling trips I would have to say that this was by far the best. The amount and varieties of fish were unbelievable. Try it I doubt you will be dissappointed. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000Acv6cZim_wnPiionK62EN3c:12hbiodf7?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=CU41&DestinationCode=CARIB

We just got back from this cruise three weeks ago. It was awesome and you will love AOS and the ports it visits. We are going on this cruise again next March because we loved it so much!

In Aruba, we booked the Sailaway Snorkel and Beach excursion through RCCL. It is operated by Pelican Adventures, and you might be able to save a bit by booking through them directly. Their catamaran took us to two snorkeling locations, one at a natural reef and the other was the sunken German WWII ship Atilla. Lots of fish and corals to see in both locations, and DH saw a barracuda. There was an open bar, but best to save the rum punch for after snorkeling, as it's quite potent. There's plenty of juice, soda, and water to drink, also. You can bring your own equipment or use theirs. We have our own snorkels and masks, but used their fins and vests. After snorkeling, we sailed to their tiki hut on Palm Beach for a BBQ lunch and some beach time before sailing back to the ship. We had a great time, but never really saw any of the island. I know some beaches are good for snorkeling but didn't snorkel from any beaches in Aruba.

In Curacao, the best snorkeling beaches are on the west and northwest sides on the island. Lagun Beach is a public beach and had about the best snorkeling I've seen anywhere. Lots of parrot fish an other brightly colored tropical fish. There is a sunken tugboat to explore at Knip Beach, which is worth checking out. We saw a lot of divers there, as well as other snorkelers. I have heard that Playa Porto Marie and Playa Cas Abo also have good snorkeling. Many good snorkeling beaches in Curacao are NOT the sugar sand variety. There are lots of broken coral and stones...aqua shoes are highly recommended. A taxi to these beaches is pricey, but if you have a full taxi, it's lass per person. Or you may want to rent a car. We went with a private tour guide, Leo Plaate. You can email him at leo@interneeds.net or read more about him and his services on the Curacao forum.

St. Martin is not known for snorkeling, really, unless you book an off shore excursion. But if you just want to relax on the beach and people watch, Orient Beach can't be beat.

In St. Thomas, Coki Beach is good for snorkeling...it is right next to Coral World. We've been there twice. Best snorkeling is near the rocks on the right (the Coral World side) or left sides of the beach. A cab ride there is $9/pp each way. If you go, make sure to get your drinks from the Mailman's Bar and Grill. And for lunch, if you like spicy food, get the Mailman's jerk chicken platter...one of the best meals we had on the cruise. I've heard Sapphire Beach is good also. If you want to take the time and spend the money to go to St. John, Trunk Bay is highly regarded as a snorkeling destination. We are going there to spend a week on the island next April.

You will have a great time, and I wish I could come with you!

I would second the vote for renting a car and going to Baby Beach in Aruba - otherwise that catamaran trip sounds good. Last time we were at Baby Beach there were no facilities for food and beverage. We just brought our own.

When we went to Curaco we hopped in a cab and went to Cas Abo. Absolutely gorgeous beach and great snorkeling.

St. Maartin - take a day off of snorkeling and people watch at Orient Beach.

St. Thomas - I second Coki. We went there our first time. Second time we went to Sapphire Beach and the snorkeling was not as good. Too rough that day.

Archived