"Real" Local Market

eileen0862

Just wanted to tell everyone about the market that we happened upon when shopping in Cozumel. It's where to locals shop, and you won't find anyone there that speaks English, but they try their hardest to communicate with you. However, if you've got some time to kill it's well worth the visit. They've got all kinds of fresh meat, fish and poultry hanging from the ceiling and just cut off a chunk of whatever you want. We saw giant red snapper, grouper?, and a whole pig hanging as well as big bins of dead chickens both with and without feathers and heads. I don't think I'd want to buy my meat or seafood there, but it sure was something to see. Everyone in the market was friendly and the person in the plaza that sent us there assured us that the neighborhood was safe. I'd definitely recommend a visit if you have the time. It's located right next to the Red Cross Hospital, which will be on any of the maps of Cozumel.

That sounds very interesting, indeed.

So, did you buy anything in the market? What do they have besides meat and seafood?

Seems you went a bit off the beaten (tourist) path.... find any other neat places or things to buy?

The market (called el mercado) is indeed an interesting place and worth visiting for people who want to see a little more from the culture of this island. At the market you can find fresh meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, tortas (sandwich with freshly grilled meat) and tacos, fresh fruit juices, all kinds of gadgets, clothes, shoes, ice cream, mexican food, philipine food (lot of ship crew go there to eat), sunglasses, etc...the surroundings also offer all kinds of stores for little jewelry, flowers, clothes, restaurants, little supermarket, hair cutter, red cross, schools, etc. It is absolutely safe there...regarding the meat, well it is safe as well depending on how its prepared/cooked and who is eating it (amongst other) and this meat is good for locals, somebody who has a "special" or "sensitive" stomach may want to eat at a tourist restaurant on the main street...

The market is at the corner of 25th and Salas, just a couple of blocks, not too far from downtown. Good luck!

My wife and I still joke about the Chedraui supermarket in Coz. It's right on the main road on the west side of the island. It's a big clean supermarket and you'll feel very safe and comfortable shopping there (although I did not care for the butcher area at all! lol...)

We spent two weeks renting a house in Cozumel (5 years ago), and went there so frequently. The prices were very good, and there were some things we loved -- such as the biggest selection of yogurts you ever saw, and an excellent price on limes for those fresh margaritas (not 3/$1 as I pay at home).

They also have a full selection of liquor and dry goods at non-tourist trap prices.

Another great shop we found was on the streets behind the main shopping square. It was a small shop that sold nothing but ice pops made from fresh fruit -- with about a hundred flavors -- for .50 each. I can't tell you what it was called because there was no signage anywhere in the place! But the fresh lime pops, and mango, coconut, vanilla.... amazing... and they went right in the blender with some rum also. Yes I was afraid of "the revenge" but it never came from those or anything else. We definitely will seek this place out on our Liberty cruise in April. Hope it is still there!

As an aside, another great thing about renting a house in Coz was we hired a cook for $75/pp per week, including food (mind you this was 5 years ago). Her husband was the server. They were great people and cleaned everything up. Many of the fruits and vegetables she used were right from their own garden. You could select from a large menu of Yucatecan and Mexican favorites. Waking up to coffee and homemade huevos rancheros in our palapa overlooking the carib... there is no better living!

OK typing this made me hungry. Enjoy!

Archived