Bad Sense of Direction

leftyess

I have been on 3 cruises, and am going on my 4th is January. I have a poor sense of direction, and once I get my bearings turned around I am mixed up for the duration. My DH will ask me what direction we are going--I say north and we are going south, LOL:) On our last cruise on the Legend, I was turned around from the begining on where things were on the ship, or which floor areas were on. I spent more time back tracking, walking trying to remember where areas were. I carried one of those pocket maps with me at all times, and still got turned around. We are going on Miracle in January, with this being the same class ship as Legend hopefully my sense of direction will be better. I am going to decorate our door of our cabin somehow so I can find my room easier this time!! Has this happened to anyone else? Any pointers or tips will be appreciated. :)

The two things to remember most are:

1) Cabin numbers are lowest in the front and increase as you walk back.

2) Cabin numbers are even on the left side as you face the front (Port side) and odd on the right side as you face the front (starboard side)

Good Luck. :D ;)

Sorry, can’t help you out since I am exactly the same way. I rarely venture out alone because I know it will be hours before I reach my destination. We always have our door decorated but sadly they disappear quite often. We will be cruising on the Miracle in 20 something days and as usual I know that I will lose weight from walking around in circles the whole time.

Mrpete-I cant use those elevators-they scare me.

Cheryl

Mrpete-I cant use those elevators-they scare me.

LOL. I didn't mean you had to get on them.:D

But if that scares you, the floating staircase from deck 9 to the supper club must throw you over the top! :eek:

LOL. I didn't mean you had to get on them.:D

But if that scares you, the floating staircase from deck 9 to the supper club must throw you over the top! :eek:

:eek: Just thinking about that staircase makes my knees go weak!

It's actually rather funny. My husband is like a human compass on land. Put him on a ship, however, and his sense of direction goes all askew. ;)

I am the same here at home but last July going to the Northern hemisphere really threw my sense of direction.

Got of the tube in London and spent 20 minutes trying to work out where I was before I finally realised we had got of one station early. Looking for the sun to get my bearings didn't help (it was London after all). The next day we came out of Cambden Lock market and jumped on a bus to go back to the hotel. Took a while to figure out the bus was going away from London and not towards it. Got of the bus, had a coffee and a good long look at the map before proceeding.

Main thing is to stop or slow down and think it through before proceeding. On the ship it is real easy. If you come to a dead end and you aren't where you want to be then try again. At least you cannot walk in the wrong direction for very far.

David

I am the same here at home but last July going to the Northern hemisphere really threw my sense of direction.

Got of the tube in London and spent 20 minutes trying to work out where I was before I finally realised we had got of one station early. Looking for the sun to get my bearings didn't help (it was London after all). The next day we came out of Cambden Lock market and jumped on a bus to go back to the hotel. Took a while to figure out the bus was going away from London and not towards it. Got of the bus, had a coffee and a good long look at the map before proceeding.

Main thing is to stop or slow down and think it through before proceeding. On the ship it is real easy. If you come to a dead end and you aren't where you want to be then try again. At least you cannot walk in the wrong direction for very far.

David

I'm shocked you had so much trouble David. :eek: You are used to driving on the wrong side of the road. :D

I'm shocked you had so much trouble David. :eek: You are used to driving on the wrong side of the road. :D

You would have been even more shocked if you were crossing the road in Italy the day we hired a car at Civitavecchia. I reckon it took me almost half an hour to get used to driving on the right side of the road, driving a left hand drive vehicle plus the added complication of driving a manual transmission vehicle with the gear shift on the same side as the single seater racing car I drove 30 years ago. Thank goodness I had taken my PDA/GPS so at least we did not get lost ( well not that often although I did become very familiar with a couple of sets of traffic lights in Rome until I figured out where I was going wrong).

We had a Canadian couple with us but at least Hertz did not charge us for the finger imprints in the dashboard on the passenger side.

David

I'm a little worried about my trip in 2 weeks. I am usually with my husband who couldn't get lost anywhere but this time I am with my sister who can get lost going to the bathroom. I am in between the two. If I have instructions to some place I can find it. I have a harder time on the ship. I do tend to get turned around a little. I will be carrying the little book of the ship everywhere.

tigercat

You would have been even more shocked if you were crossing the road in Italy the day we hired a car at Civitavecchia. I reckon it took me almost half an hour to get used to driving on the right side of the road, driving a left hand drive vehicle plus the added complication of driving a manual transmission vehicle with the gear shift on the same side as the single seater racing car I drove 30 years ago. Thank goodness I had taken my PDA/GPS so at least we did not get lost ( well not that often although I did become very familiar with a couple of sets of traffic lights in Rome until I figured out where I was going wrong).

We had a Canadian couple with us but at least Hertz did not charge us for the finger imprints in the dashboard on the passenger side.

David

When I last drove in Italy I gained the impression that driving was permitted on any side of the road. :eek: If you were truly able to acclimate to it you're a better man than I.;)

I have been on 3 cruises, and am going on my 4th is January. I have a poor sense of direction, and once I get my bearings turned around I am mixed up for the duration. My DH will ask me what direction we are going--I say north and we are going south, LOL:) On our last cruise on the Legend, I was turned around from the begining on where things were on the ship, or which floor areas were on. I spent more time back tracking, walking trying to remember where areas were. I carried one of those pocket maps with me at all times, and still got turned around. We are going on Miracle in January, with this being the same class ship as Legend hopefully my sense of direction will be better. I am going to decorate our door of our cabin somehow so I can find my room easier this time!! Has this happened to anyone else? Any pointers or tips will be appreciated. :)

Don't feel bad, I do it too. I won big on Glory 2 yr ago, and was taking the money back to my cabin. I ended up going to the front of the ship up and back to the back of the ship because I got all screwed up...... then this last glory cruise, we were in the front, and i went the other way to go to the cabin...... :o :confused:

You're not alone. I have the hardest time in an inside hallway. I know where my cabin always is, however I have to look out of a window to see which direction the ship is heading to know where forward and aft of the ship is. Had the hardest time on our last cruise on the Dawn Princess as it has showrooms on both ends of the ship and I was always heading to the wrong one for a particular show I wanted to go to. I would get all the way to one end and realize it was the wrong showroom end and have to turn around and walk all the way to the other end.:)

The Miracle has the little mail boxes outside of each cabin....What we did was attach a Bow/Ribbon to the box (it is metal with a bunch of holes). We were able to spot our room from far away.

Have fun!

LOL I have the same problem, but am getting a bit better. We took our first cruise on the legend. I left my cabin and told my husband I would meet him at our cousins room which was on the other side of the ship (same deck) well my young daughter and I was walking and walking and walking. Finally I see a door opening and it was my husband!!! I some how walked around the ship and back to our room :confused: :eek: Very funny and he still brings it up to this day.

Part of the fun for us has always been trying to figure out where Carnival has moved our cabin (and any other area we are looking for) to. We go back to the exact same place we are certain it's at only to realize we are on the wrong side of the ship or we are too far down or whatever the case may be. Half the time while heading to dinner we realize that oops the lounge is ahead and not our dining room. We have come to expect it will happen several times on each cruise and just take it in stride. I can only hope that one day we can cruise often enough to have each ship memorized ;) Sorry I'm not help as we are in the same boat (literally) I do hope you enjoy your cruise :)

Archived