TA or Hal

icecreammama

I've never sailed Hal before but thinking of Eurodam 2009. Should I book through HAL or TA? If I book through HAL, would I have to give a deposit right away? Also, does anyone have pictures of suites as I would like to know the size of them. Thanks

I've never sailed Hal before but thinking of Eurodam 2009. Should I book through HAL or TA? If I book through HAL, would I have to give a deposit right away? Also, does anyone have pictures of suites as I would like to know the size of them. Thanks

HALs website shows photos and gives square footage of the cabins.

I booked through my local TA connected with an Auto Club. We booked in the Summer and there have been two price decreases since. My TAs price was always lower than the price shown on the HAL website. Maybe if you called HAL direct it would be different, I don't know. However, based on my experience, I would not book online. There are some who say you can book with HAL and then transfer your booking to a TA or online discounter. I am just getting into the cruising business, so I don't have experience with that. Many on these boards book with online discounters. Whoever you book with, just make sure you know their cancellation policy and whether they will charge an administrative fee if they adjust your price if prices decrease.

I am just getting into the cruising business . . . .

Please understand, I'm not trying to be bomabastic ;) but you already have a huge number of posts . . . :confused: . May be I'm missing something in your message .....

Please understand, I'm not trying to be bomabastic ;) but you already have a huge number of posts . . . :confused: . May be I'm missing something in your message .....

Been reading cruise critic for about a year now. Learned a lot. Share what I know. In June 2008 I will be taking my first cruise, so I think that qualifies me as being new in the cruising business. No offense taken. ;)

A faux booking on HAL's web site will display the down payment required. That's likely to be the same either with HAL or a TA.

Booking directly with the cruise line will give you access to detailed booking info such as the confirmation form. Most travel agencies hold that back from customers, mainly because it lists the agency's percentage. :p

Unlike some other cruise lines, you can get a significant discount on most HAL cruises thru a TA. Book with HAL, then shop it around.

We've booked directly with HAL the last three times. We do just as well price wise, but that may be due to our choice of cruises and cabins. I find booking direct easier and faster. We book by phone and receive the confirmations immediately by e-mail. If we have a question or add-on later, that is much faster and easier.

We've booked directly with HAL the last three times. We do just as well price wise, but that may be due to our choice of cruises and cabins. I find booking direct easier and faster. We book by phone and receive the confirmations immediately by e-mail. If we have a question or add-on later, that is much faster and easier.

When you call, do you get prices lower than what are showing on the website?

Hi,

We have used a local Cruise Only TA since we started cruising years ago. We have never had a problem with rooms, dining times, cancellations, etc. Would never book without one. We have always gotten a great price from our TA and see no reason not to use one when cruising.

Barbara

When you call, do you get prices lower than what are showing on the website?

Yes, I get the price showing on the website or, if it is a promotion, I get that advertised price plus taxes. I've checked online and traditional TA prices. They aren't any better when comparing apples and apples. The price shown on the HAL website includes the taxes. Prices advertised in HAL promotions and by online TAs or other TA ads do not include the added amounts. HAL's website does include these in the price shown.

We watch prices and only book when there is a promotion so that may make a difference.

Yes, I get the price showing on the website or, if it is a promotion, I get that advertised price plus taxes. I've checked online and traditional TA prices. They aren't any better when comparing apples and apples. The price shown on the HAL website includes the taxes. Prices advertised in HAL promotions and by online TAs or other TA ads do not include the added amounts. HAL's website does include these in the price shown.

We watch prices and only book when there is a promotion so that may make a difference.

My TA told me once that whatever price I see online, call him and he'll do better. I've been using him for years and he's always come through for me. He also watches to see if the price goes down after I book and he'll give me the cheaper price. I wouldn't think of booking without going through him.

That explains it. I didn't realize the prices listed were with all taxes. Now I will be looking at the prices with a new light. I still did like using a local agent and would do so again if the price was right.

Archived