Safety of Zipline

cinamongirl

We are booked to do the zipline/cavetubing combo in 2 weeks. With the tragic accident that happened in Roatan, I was wondering about the safety of the ziplines in Belize. Is there anyone who has tried both (Roatan & Belize)? I understand that ziplining is an extreme sport & there is always an element of risk. We zipped previously in Hawaii and felt that our saftey was a paramount concern to the tour guides. I guess I'm asking for some feedback from those who have zipped in Belize. Thoughts?

I have no personal knowledge of ziplines in Belize. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you some info.

However, I do have some comments. No matter what other people tell you, use your common sense. If you are satisfied with the safety procedures that are implemented, the professionalism of the guides, the condition of the equipment etc. then by all means do the activity and have a wonderful time. If anything gives you pause, then demand some answers, or assistance or outright refuse to participate.

We ziplined on the exact same line the lady died on the day before the accident. We felt extremely safe and felt that all safety practices were being followed. Other's who did the same zipline at different times, didn't agree that they felt safe. I don't know exactly what happened on that horrible day but from many reports, it looks as if the safety guidelines were not followed, and when the zipline failed, it resulted in that poor ladies death.

Use your own judgement and if you aren't comfortable, speak up. You are paying for this activity and you have the right to feel safe.

I zip-lined in Belize in February (did the cave-tubing as well), and felt very safe the whole time. There were 2 lines connecting your harness to the cables, and the harnesses seemed to be in very good shape (mine looked pretty well new, some of the others looked a little more worn, but still in good shape). It's basically up to you if you're comfortable with everything once you get there. Oh, and it's right beside cave-tubing, so if you didn't end up going, it's not like you wasted a lot of time driving there.

I'm doing the zip line and cave tubing next Wednesday, so hopefully I'll live to tell about it <g>. I understand safety standards in Belize, Roatan, & other places are not as stringent as in the USA. However, thousands do it every year and rarely has anything gone wrong. One thing I noted in an article I read is the weight pressure of a fairly horizontal line is much higher than a more vertical line. So, if a line is rated to hold 600 pounds, that's when it's vertical and it actually safely supports less weight in the more horizontal setting. I'm pretty light (115), so it's not a concern for me. If I was 200+ pounds, I might thing twice - because if a guide has to come out to help me, I wouldn't want our combined weight to be excessive. Like anything else - most of the time it'll go perfectly right, but once in a while the worst will happen. Each person has to make the decision to go or not go.

Sue/WDW1972

Veendam 4/06/08

I went zip-lining in Costa Rica last week. I felt safe, but after hearing about the Roatan accident, I don't think I would have done it. It sounds like the main cable snapped so it wouldn't matter how many safety lines were connected to the main line. When you stop short of a platform, you have to turn around and use your arms to pull yourself the remaining distance. This happened to me one time and it took all my energy to pull myself those last 6 feet. It the Roatan accident, the platform attendent connected himself to the line and went to get her, adding extra weight to the main line. In Costa Rica, I saw them go after a child this way. Roatan had also just installed a new cable. My husband is in the steel business and in rare instances, products can be defective. The cable SHOULD have been able to handle 6 tons, according to the Roatan zip-lining company. It's all very sad. We just learned that a diver from our ship may have died after his/her Belize excursion.

I did the Cave tubing and zip line in January. I was very impressed with the operation and they seemed to be very safety conscious. Unless there is major equipment failure, it would be hard to get injured.

If I went back, I would skip the cave tubing and go straight to zip lining. They had to rush us through the tubing to get to the zip line on time.

But, we had a great time. ....and several of the people with us were really afraid of heights and ended up having fun.

Thanks for all your replies. We have decided to go ahead with the tour but of course we will check out the zipline course ourselves & if it "doesn't feel right" we simply won't go. It does provide some reassurance that the course is ACCT certified. Looking forward to a new adventure!:D

Zipline,cavetubing,atv,snorkeling all have inherent risks.besides safety one should also be concerned and take into consideration insurance liaqbility.i am sure guides in belize and elsewhere take as much precaution as possible.should it happen to be human error where nothing is wrong with equipment ,which guide ,operator,company has the necessary recourses to assist in the whole matter.reading on these boards there are many popular guides but the question is -are they licensed and insured tour operators?or will you be at the wrong end alone!researching this is a paramount as to go with the right company.would your tavel agent recommend anyone?i think not!to check for belize tour operators yourself go to www.travelbelize.org for a listing of legitimate tour operators,to find INSURED tour operators go to www.f-cca.com and you will find the lisitngs of tour operators in belize.both big and small touroperators are listed.do this reasearch and you will not be miled by posings praising guides by anonymous posters and be in safer hands on your next tour.:)

Zipline,cavetubing,atv,snorkeling all have inherent risks.besides safety one should also be concerned and take into consideration insurance liaqbility.i am sure guides in belize and elsewhere take as much precaution as possible.should it happen to be human error where nothing is wrong with equipment ,which guide ,operator,company has the necessary recourses to assist in the whole matter.reading on these boards there are many popular guides but the question is -are they licensed and insured tour operators?or will you be at the wrong end alone!researching this is a paramount as to go with the right company.would your tavel agent recommend anyone?i think not!to check for belize tour operators yourself go to www.travelbelize.org for a listing of legitimate tour operators,to find INSURED tour operators go to www.f-cca.com and you will find the lisitngs of tour operators in belize.both big and small touroperators are listed.do this reasearch and you will not be miled by posings praising guides by anonymous posters and be in safer hands on your next tour.:)

Archived