Dawn Review

katgilm

We were on the Dawn for Spring Break (March 16th cruise) Food was good at Teppinaka (sp?) and Le Bistro. Just FYI: At Teppinaka, you don't have to order the specific food combinations listed on the menu (e.g. steak and shrimp), you can order steak and lobster instead. It was very, very good. At Cagney's if you want lobster you have to pay an additional cover charge over the additional cover charge. I did that and did not think the lobster was very good. It was tough and chewy. They did bring a second lobster but it too was tough and chewy. At Le Bistro, we paid extra over the cover charge for the chateaubriand (sp?). It was delicious. We were never able to get into the Salsa restaurant. Although I loved being able to eat some good food, I thought it was a pain having to make reservations, which we sometimes couldn't get.

We were three families traveling with four teenage boys. They were not impressed. There really wasn't anything for them to do. They had a lot more fun on Carnival. I had to agree with them. I went looking for them one night and headed toward the teen disco, which is stuck in a back corner, and there was no one there. The sign said to go to the T-Rex room but when I went there it was just the very young toddlers. Even the pool area was very empty at night. There just didn't seem to be that many kids on the ship either. So if you are going with kids, I would have to recommend Carnival.

Ports were Samana, Tortola, St. Thomas and Great Stirrup Key. Do NOT listen to those who tell you to stay on the ship in Samana. Yes, the port is ugly but take an excursion. We took the Jungle Safara excursion. Samana is absolutely beautiful. The people are poor and live in ramshackle homes with sometimes no windows or doors. (Personally, I find it fascinating to see how other people live.) They are so friendly. The kids run out when you drive by and wave and dance. Do try to bring something for the kids. Have a bag of something, treats or little toys. You will have a couple of chances to pass them out if you take the Safari tour. We handed out a few dollar bills, trust me the kids are so cute you just want to give them something, but our tour guide said not to give them dollar bills if you don't have enough for everyone.

We enjoyed Tortola but our plans changed due to high surf. My friends signed up for the excursion to the Virgin Gorda Baths but it was cancelled. My husband and I planned to spend the day at Cane Garden Bay but the surf was too high. We ended up taking an island tour.

St. Thomas: We did our usual-- shopping and Megan's Bay. Megan's Bay has gotten a lot more crowded. I've been told that there are other nice beaches so you might want to check one of those out instead. My friends took the island tour which they liked.

Bottom Line: I liked the cruise and like being able to get some decent food at the specialty restaurants. (Cruise food is just not so great anymore.) However, we all decided we are going back to Carnival for a little more excitement.

We were on the Dawn for Spring Break (March 16th cruise) Food was good at Teppinaka (sp?) and Le Bistro. Just FYI: At Teppinaka, you don't have to order the specific food combinations listed on the menu (e.g. steak and shrimp), you can order steak and lobster instead. It was very, very good. At Cagney's if you want lobster you have to pay an additional cover charge over the additional cover charge. I did that and did not think the lobster was very good. It was tough and chewy. They did bring a second lobster but it too was tough and chewy. At Le Bistro, we paid extra over the cover charge for the chateaubriand (sp?). It was delicious. We were never able to get into the Salsa restaurant. Although I loved being able to eat some good food, I thought it was a pain having to make reservations, which we sometimes couldn't get.

We were three families traveling with four teenage boys. They were not impressed. There really wasn't anything for them to do. They had a lot more fun on Carnival. I had to agree with them. I went looking for them one night and headed toward the teen disco, which is stuck in a back corner, and there was no one there. The sign said to go to the T-Rex room but when I went there it was just the very young toddlers. Even the pool area was very empty at night. There just didn't seem to be that many kids on the ship either. So if you are going with kids, I would have to recommend Carnival.

Ports were Samana, Tortola, St. Thomas and Great Stirrup Key. Do NOT listen to those who tell you to stay on the ship in Samana. Yes, the port is ugly but take an excursion. We took the Jungle Safara excursion. Samana is absolutely beautiful. The people are poor and live in ramshackle homes with sometimes no windows or doors. (Personally, I find it fascinating to see how other people live.) They are so friendly. The kids run out when you drive by and wave and dance. Do try to bring something for the kids. Have a bag of something, treats or little toys. You will have a couple of chances to pass them out if you take the Safari tour. We handed out a few dollar bills, trust me the kids are so cute you just want to give them something, but our tour guide said not to give them dollar bills if you don't have enough for everyone.

We enjoyed Tortola but our plans changed due to high surf. My friends signed up for the excursion to the Virgin Gorda Baths but it was cancelled. My husband and I planned to spend the day at Cane Garden Bay but the surf was too high. We ended up taking an island tour.

St. Thomas: We did our usual-- shopping and Megan's Bay. Megan's Bay has gotten a lot more crowded. I've been told that there are other nice beaches so you might want to check one of those out instead. My friends took the island tour which they liked.

Bottom Line: I liked the cruise and like being able to get some decent food at the specialty restaurants. (Cruise food is just not so great anymore.) However, we all decided we are going back to Carnival for a little more excitement.

Glad you liked it. With 4 teenage boys, I agree. Carnival is probably best for you. HAL would have been a funny review!:p

We were on the Dawn the first week of March. We did the whale watching at Samana and it was great. (I never saw a whale on Alaska cruise or New England....but there they were, in the caribbean!) That excursion is only done through mid-March, however.

We were approached by many many youngsters there wanting to sell shells for $1 each. We finally gave in at a time when only one child was approaching us...several more appeared instantly... begging and pleading for us to buy their shells as well.

Archived