Prince Rupert - input on some tour options?

We will be in Prince Rupert on Friday, June 20 (Celebrity Mercury). We are not that into whale watching or hiking nor most of the flightseeing. My family wanted either a sightseeing tour like a tour through a city or else something adventurous. Something like four-wheelers but I saw no ATV tours (and the Hummer tour sounds like a caravan or having a driver so not much fun). They also liked the idea of the jet boat and of the Zodiac boat. Ziplining and heliocopters are out since we have a couple of 250+ pounders.

I did a search for Prince Rupert and most deal with bears and such. So I guess my questions would be (after looking over the others posts on the board about Prince Rupert), how interesting was the Prince Rupert Sightseeing tour?

Also, I would like to hear from someone who has been on the jet boat tour and on the Zodiac tour. Or the River Float. I would like to know if it was fun, etc. and whether you did it with a private operator or the ship tour.

Thanks.

We did the Zodiac tour last year and loved it. Prince Rupert is not a big town but it's a very quaint town. We sailed in early May 2007 and the one thing I remember is when we got off the ship that there were so many eagles. No matter where we looked in the trees there were eagles all over the place.

To answer one of your questions I was not able to do a private tour. When I contacted the Zodiac company they told me they could only provide service through the cruise line if a ship was in that day. Since it's a small town I can understand.

Here's some pictures of our Zodiac ride and Prince Rupert:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561129228nZcLRK

Thanks Jeepers385, and I loved the pictures. Was the Zodiac ride smooth and calm or a bit more thrilling? The website makes it look like high speed with hairpin turns (which is not a bad thing).

bscot, I will be there mid June, any more or less rainy than normal? Also, when it is raining, is it usually a misty drizzle type or a heavy monsoon downpour? I am wondering if excursions get cancelled because of the rain.

Thanks Jeepers385, and I loved the pictures. Was the Zodiac ride smooth and calm or a bit more thrilling? The website makes it look like high speed with hairpin turns (which is not a bad thing).

The ride was pretty smooth but we did go fast at certain points. If there was something of interest we stopped and watched and then would go slow but there were plenty of times where we were at a top speed. It was a lot of fun:D . Of course hubby had us sit up front which was great it was a tad chilly especially being early in the season but we had a great view.;)

I posted it there too. I wish they had a special category for the ports like this since most people would read the Alaska forum for an Alaskan cruise but would be missing out on all the great posts here in the Canada forum. Maybe it could be joined in an "Alaska cruises" forum or something

bscot, I will be there mid June, any more or less rainy than normal? Also, when it is raining, is it usually a misty drizzle type or a heavy monsoon downpour? I am wondering if excursions get cancelled because of the rain.

The rain in Prince Rupert comes in all shapes & sizes (sometimes all on the same day!) but I do not think it is any worse than Ketchikan which is close by. It is just that sort of west coast location. It rains a lot all the way up that coast. Just be prepared for it & you might be pleasantly surprised.

I do not know about the shore excursions.

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...
The ride was pretty smooth but we did go fast at certain points. If there was something of interest we stopped and watched and then would go slow but there were plenty of times where we were at a top speed. It was a lot of fun:D . Of course hubby had us sit up front which was great it was a tad chilly especially being early in the season but we had a great view.;)

Did you have to wear the full body suit things? That was one thing turning me off about this tour....and I am not quite sure what them mean by a full body suit... :confused:

Elaina

The rain in Prince Rupert comes in all shapes & sizes (sometimes all on the same day!) but I do not think it is any worse than Ketchikan which is close by. It is just that sort of west coast location. It rains a lot all the way up that coast. Just be prepared for it & you might be pleasantly surprised.

The rains in Prince Rupert are a myth. I have been there more than 40 times and I remember distinctly that it didn't rain on two of the occasions.;)

Did you have to wear the full body suit things? That was one thing turning me off about this tour....and I am not quite sure what them mean by a full body suit... :confused:

Elaina

Yes we did. We were their in early May so I looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy & DH looked like the Michelin Tire guy, not sure what you wear in the warmer months. Actually glad we had them on even though we layered our clothes these added an extra layer or warmth.

Here's what we looked like. Don't let this deter you from taking this trip it was so much fun. Not sure what time of year your sailing but you can email the company and ask Troy what the gear is for that time of year.

931889370_PrinceRupertBC-DoesntJefflookcoolwithhisMichelinmanuniformon.jpg.4b741157a7267a5ac045254e422c89c1.jpg

499523844_PrinceRupertBC-NowIlooklikethePillsburyDoughGirl.jpg.ec491e19e32e5e66cc4c9f630a17c8ed.jpg

Yes we did. We were their in early May so I looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy & DH looked like the Michelin Tire guy, not sure what you wear in the warmer months. Actually glad we had them on even though we layered our clothes these added an extra layer or warmth.

Here's what we looked like. Don't let this deter you from taking this trip it was so much fun. Not sure what time of year your sailing but you can email the company and ask Troy what the gear is for that time of year.

Ok, I was thinking these were like a wetsuit type thing, but doesnt look like that at all....Looks like it would help keep you warmer especially with the wind at those fast speeds! We will be there the first week of may.

Ok, I was thinking these were like a wetsuit type thing, but doesnt look like that at all....Looks like it would help keep you warmer especially with the wind at those fast speeds! We will be there the first week of may.

Then you will definitely need these suits. They did help against the wind. We sat in the front row of the boat so we had full view of everything but it was chilly. I was ok going out but coming back I was a little chilled.

PaddyCat we had friends that took and excursion through the cruise line to a Bear sanctuary and saw bears and they said it seemed like they were coming out of hibernation and it was cool.

The north west coast of North America from Oregon north to Alaska is a rain forest. It is a rain forest because it rains A LOT!

In fact there is/was a family from South Africa who moved to Prince Rupert specifically because it has less sunshine than damn near anywhere on earth...and...either their children...or maybe the whole family I can't remember...has a rare skin condition that is caused by exposing their skin to the sun!! Prince Rupert is therefore the safest place for them.

All that said, Prince Rupert is a wonderful community with warm friendly people and lots of things to do!

Archived