Trading in TA gifts for OBC?

erin6494

Hi,

I thought I remembered something awhile back about being able to "trade" gifts from TA's for the value in on board credit. Is that correct? Has anyone done it recently? Our very wonderful TA has gifted us with not one but two champagne breakfasts. While it is a very generous offer, I am not sure that we need to do it twice and would not mind changing it to use as credit for something else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Erin

We did it last year on the Crown. We got a bottle of wine from our TA and don't drink wine, so we went to the Purser's desk and ask to have a credit given for the wine and it was given.

You have to actually go to the Purser desk, you can't just call, but it can be done.

I have not heard of trading TA gifts for onboard credit before. Those we have cruised with that got something from their TA they didn't want either gave it to friends or the room steward.

I don't actually understand why a TA would give 2 UBB's for one sailing with so many other things have can be given as gifts including OBC's. BUT.........unless you are in a full suite, this might come in very handy for days in port when other dining venues are really packed with passengers in a hurry to get ashore. Unless you have a full suite booked, the room service menu, even for breakfast, is quite limited to Continental Breakfast items only.

Best of luck on this.

Hi,

I thought I remembered something awhile back about being able to "trade" gifts from TA's for the value in on board credit. Is that correct? Has anyone done it recently? Our very wonderful TA has gifted us with not one but two champagne breakfasts. While it is a very generous offer, I am not sure that we need to do it twice and would not mind changing it to use as credit for something else.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Erin

:( I want a champagne breakfast gift.....

We usually receive a bottle of wine and an OBC from our TA. On our last cruise, I misplaced the coupon for the bottle of wine. I went to the Pursar's desk and since it was the last night they credited our account.

You can always ask!

Thanks for the input! Like I said, I hate to complain because it is very generous! He has taken very good care of us on our two prior cruises with him, feel very fortunate to have found him.

Thanks again,

Erin

Yes, me too. My travel agent has never surprised us on board with a gift and we have used her for many years.
Neither did ours - no gift- no reduction in price if prices went down- now no TA.

I myself am a TA and I always try to be generous to those that book w/ us as well ..... I would be more than happy to switch to something else my client might like better - they want you to be happy - so just ask :) ....... I would ask b/c alot of times they may have suggestions you haven't thought of to replace one of the balcony breakfast's ....... :) - have fun - glad you love your TA :)

On our first cruise with this TA, we got all sorts of gifts. The second cruise with her, we got nothing. We even brought another couple in to her to book on the same cruise and they got nothing. I thought, maybe she only does it for your first cruise, but when our friends got nothing, that blew that theory out the porthole. Seem odd?

On our first cruise with this TA, we got all sorts of gifts. The second cruise with her, we got nothing. We even brought another couple in to her to book on the same cruise and they got nothing. I thought, maybe she only does it for your first cruise, but when our friends got nothing, that blew that theory out the porthole. Seem odd?

Maybe she realized her generousity was cutting to deeply into her profits... or she doesn't have the clientele to support it.

Yes, me too. My travel agent has never surprised us on board with a gift and we have used her for many years.

Our TA has only occassionally surprised us. We are grateful but it is more important to make sure the reservations have no problem and she gets us the "best" price.

We booked one of our cruises on HAL with a well known east coast automobile/travel club. They have a special partnership with HAL. For booking with them, we received a bottle of wine (plus one from the agent we booked with), dinner at the specialty restaurant and a photo package. Once on board, we decided we didn’t want any of our photos so HAL just gave us OBC for the photo package. My recommendation is just ask.

The answer is YES!!! We have done it many times. We even turned in the Elite mini bar one time (I think it was worth about $40).....long story, 'cause we usually love it!

We usually turn in parts of the mini bar and get things we like better. Nancy

Consider yourself very lucky if you got a gift of any kind from your TA. We booked and paid for two mini suite's at a cost of $8000 through an online TA. We got not even a bottle of wine to thank us for our business.

Next cruise we want to do is Panama Canal and I darn well am going to look for a TA that appreciates our business or just book directly through the cruise line. In reality, I already know what cabin we would want and can do my own flight's, book my own hotel for a day ahead of the cruise. So, that leaves the TA not a whole lot of work to do.

I don't doubt some people can create the TA a job if they continuously change cabins, etc. but that is not the case with us. I know what I want before I ever call a TA.

I'll have to try the purser..never thought of that. We have always gotten some kind of gift, but never OBC (I'd prefer that). It's generally wine, which we rarely drink. We didn't redeem & HAL automatically gave it as a credit on our account on one sailing. The next sailing they didn't. Once we got 6 (!!) bottles of wine. Just took them home & have been giving them out at Christmas ever since. Eventually they might be "aged".:)

They last cruise we weren't able to use the 2 photo gifts because they were for a particular size & there were no pictures of us in that size (never ran into that before). We had two wine gift cards too. On the last night in the dining room we exchanged them for 2 cocktails & 1 virgin pina colada. One showed up as a credit on our statement but not the other one but we also weren't charged for the pina colada. However, we still should've had about a $16.00 credit. On the next cruise, I'm going to try the purser route early in the cruise.

Our first cruise, online T/A gave us OBC and arranged for anniversary gift during the cruise. Booked this next one with same online T/A and asked if OBC offered for the cruise. She said no, not on this one. But she did asked if we were celebrating birthdays (which we are for both of us) and she slated a day during the cruise to celebrate. Hopefully that means we will receive some sort of gift from the T/A.

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice. I will check with the purser when we get the vouchers at the beginning of the cruise. After reading all the posts from people who get nothing from their agent, I feel especially lucky to have mine! :)

Erin

Archived