Disappointed Mom and 3 kids just off AOS

boulders

We just got back after a 7 day cruise on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas. Overall, it wasn't as much of a vacation as I'd envisioned.

I'm a widowed mom with 3 kids, aged 2, 9 and 12. I've cruised twice before - once by myself and once with the two older kids. Both cruises were on Royal Caribbean - Jewel of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas. We'd had a fabulous time on both. We went on this cruise at the invitation of some friends we'd made on our last cruise. There were no helping hands though.

I found myself watching the 2 year old constantly - at dinner, in the cabin, in the hallways etc. He's not yet at the age where he can stay by me - he wants to run... and touch. He also doesn't want to be in a stroller. Although he's an accomplished eater, I watched him like a hawk to make sure that nothing was broken at the table.

We were all tucked in by 8 p.m. most nights- no show for me. I hired a babysitter for each afternoon. Babysitting is available 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Children must be 3 to be in Adventure Ocean. I did go to the Mystery dinner theater one evening - it was just OK.

Overall, I didn't get that nice relaxed, happy feeling that tells me that I was on a vacation. It was just like being at home, only worse. This was an eagerly anticipated trip and I'm disappointed. I'd planned to do a longer cruise this summer with the 3 kids, but I'm planning on canceling that cruise.

Before this cruise, I was as much a cheerleader of cruises as anyone, but now - not so much. :(

Yes, the older kids had an excellent trip. I do know that other lines have facilities for 2 year olds, but we were invited on this trip by the other family - so we had to fit in with their plans.

I have no doubt that when the littlest one is older, cruising will be a good traveling option. I've vacationed many times at a land-based child-friendly resort and plan to stick to that for the majority of my trips in the future.

We took a not-yet potty trained three year-old boy (turned 3 the week prior). We found that the cruise was definitely "something different" for us but not necessarily a "vacation". I felt like I was working just as hard as I did at home as I had to keep my child occupied and out of everyone else's hair. We are looking forward to our child being able to partake in the kid's programs more. Hubby and I spent the entire vacation switching off who would watch our son. Not all the relaxation as a couple we had hoped for. I figure it is part of the joys of being a parent.

Cheryl

That's the reason I stayed away from RCCL until my youngest turned 3. ;) We actually celebrated her 3rd bday on FOS.

She is a high energy kid that's famous phrase is "I DO MYSELF!". She is totally independent and doesn't think she needs anyone for anything. :rolleyes:

So I was able to do a Carnival cruise alone, but wouldn't have been able to do RCCL before she turned 3.

Did you have a balcony cabin? That's the one BIG reason I preach the benefits of balconies around here because I know what it's like to be forced to a 8pm bedtime by a child. Instead, with a balcony, I head out there for some quiet time.

Sorry you didn't have a better vacation. :(

We just got back after a 7 day cruise on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas. Overall, it wasn't as much of a vacation as I'd envisioned.

I'm a widowed mom with 3 kids, aged 2, 9 and 12. I've cruised twice before - once by myself and once with the two older kids. Both cruises were on Royal Caribbean - Jewel of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas. We'd had a fabulous time on both. We went on this cruise at the invitation of some friends we'd made on our last cruise. There were no helping hands though.

I found myself watching the 2 year old constantly - at dinner, in the cabin, in the hallways etc. He's not yet at the age where he can stay by me - he wants to run... and touch. He also doesn't want to be in a stroller. Although he's an accomplished eater, I watched him like a hawk to make sure that nothing was broken at the table.

We were all tucked in by 8 p.m. most nights- no show for me. I hired a babysitter for each afternoon. Babysitting is available 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Children must be 3 to be in Adventure Ocean. I did go to the Mystery dinner theater one evening - it was just OK.

Overall, I didn't get that nice relaxed, happy feeling that tells me that I was on a vacation. It was just like being at home, only worse. This was an eagerly anticipated trip and I'm disappointed. I'd planned to do a longer cruise this summer with the 3 kids, but I'm planning on canceling that cruise.

Before this cruise, I was as much a cheerleader of cruises as anyone, but now - not so much. :(

i am sorry that you didn't get any help on this cruise. it would seem to me that if you went with another family that invited you, perhaps the adults could have helped you out a little at night by having one spouse stay with their kids and yours one night during the cruise each so that you would have had two nights out. even if their kids were in the ocean adventure, i still think they should have offered to watch your 2 year old for you while one accompanied you to a show.

perhaps you don't need to cancel your next cruise, just maybe bring some help along (if you can afford to or if an able grandparent/family member/close friend is willing to go on their own dime)

good luck and God bless you

Crusing with tots that young does mirror some of what normal family life is. Sometimes the only things that are different ARE the fact that your meals are planned and prepared by someone else and your room is being picked up for you.

It sounds to me like you should put off cruising for awhile, until your youngest is able to participate in the kids programs.

For me, I already know my 18 month old is going to want to walk everywhere so DH is compromising with me and we are bringing a leash.

Boulders, on our first cruise (Celebrity Galaxy 2004) with our 1 yr old daughter, my wife and I were pretty restricted in what activites we could enjoy. We did not travel with a group and our DD was too young to use any of the childrens' program. We did enjoy takling here to the beach once we docked though.

However, now that we have two DD's (5 & 3) we are finally cruising again and will be on AOS April 5, 2009. Even though both are potty trained and eligibile for the childrens program, we have purchased an adjoining cabin for Grandma in exchange for a few nights (maybe 3) of quality time. She gets a free cuise and a pre-cuise hotel room (air not included), we get some time alone. We planned this for 2 years to make sure we could afford to bring our own babysitter and it should work out fine.

With the proper planning, that could be an option.

Can't wait to go. 12 more months :-)!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Cruisinmama - I think my son must have got "I DO MYSELF" from your daughter. It's his favorite phrase. He would rush to the elevators to push the button and be crushed if the button were already pressed. By the end of the cruise though, he knew the difference between up and down. :o

The other family is a widowed mom with kids too. There were no "extra" hands available. I don't have any grandparents (or aunts or uncles for that matter) who help out or would be willing to go on a cruise with us. When we vacation with aunts and uncles, both my siblings and my husband's siblings - none of them "help". :(

I did have a balcony - 2 connecting ones. The extra room was fine for hanging out after the little one's bedtime. I would have preferred a larger suite though, or even the family oceanview that we had last year. I'm kind of a visual person. When I was unpacking, I couldn't keep track of what was where, because it might have been in one room or the other. I like to be able to see what I need. If it's put away, it disappears from my memory. LOL.

Our next cruise is planned for a few days after ds turns 3. At first, I was hopeful that even if he weren't fully potty trained by then, and couldn't go to Adventure Ocean, it would be OK if he had to hang around with the rest of us. This past cruise showed me that although it would be OK, it wouldn't be a vacation.

Thanks for listening!:)

Archived