Which Cruise Line to Choose?

CHUCKSAUNT

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best river cruise line to take for a cruise down the Danube? My Husband and I are thinking about going this summer and this will be our first time on a river cruise. We are especially interested in visiting Prague. I'd love any help I could get. Thanks so much.

Hi Chuck:

Because of my wonderful experience last year with Uniworld, I'm leaving on my 2nd river cruise with them in 2 weeks.

I was thrilled with the accomodations, service, food, land tours and overall experience.

If you're thinking of something for this summer, on any of the cruiselines, you'd better move quickly.

I've been trying to secure space and the availability on most itineraries at this point is extrememly limited.

Enjoy whatever you choose.

Chucksaunt: I looked at Avalon and Amadeus for the Danube (Eastern Europe). There are also cruises on the western part (Basel, Regensburg, Vienna). It depends which part of the river you are interested in seeing. We chose Avalon from Bucharest to Budapest. Amadeus offers a similar itinerary but it is longer and goes to Istanbul (via bus). Some people enjoy the sites in Austria and Germany as they are more scenic. However we based our itinerary on the ports in Romania, Bulgaria and Serbia. We depart May 31st. We will visit Prague on our own before the cruise. I will post a review when I return.

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best river cruise line to take for a cruise down the Danube? My Husband and I are thinking about going this summer and this will be our first time on a river cruise. We are especially interested in visiting Prague. I'd love any help I could get. Thanks so much.

River cruises are the way to go!!! We just booked our 3d trip on Viking, and are looking forward to going from Basel to Antwerp. Each line has its own pluses and minuses, and I can suggest only to look carefully at the brochures and talk with as many people as possible. I believe the cabins on Amadeus and Avalon generally are larger than on some of the other lines, but this item can be compared on the various brochures.

We are impressed by the quality of the local guides hired by Viking in the various towns and cities. In fact, the groups are small, and Viking made a tremendous effort to have at least one group designated as "slow walkers." Those in the "slow walker" group were able cover the same points of interest -- just at a different pace.

• 3 weeks later...

Check the date the boat was built. Last August GCT sold us a cabin on their boat called the Chardonay, it was listed as going into service in 2002. Upon boarding the boat we were informed it was built in 1956. We had 2 weeks in southern France with no airconditioning.

We just returned from a Viking cruise and had an opportunity to visit an Amadeus Waterway ship, there is no comparison as the Amadeus Waterway(Amadagio) offers nicer accomidations, better food, and just an all around better product.

We felt that Viking had poor quality and choice of food, the rooms were adequate, kind of Hampton Inn quality, entertainment so bad it was embarrasing, good tour guides, and headsets. The passengers on our cruise were old, like wheelchairs, walkers, etc.

If I were cruising again it would be with Amadeus Waterways.

Have a wonderful time

We have been on Uniworld a couple of times and loved it.. wonderful travelers... and most are seasoned travelers.. After doing much research, we decided to try Amadeus or avalon next.. We leave for Amsterdam to Basel May 4th, on the Tapestry ...Avalon... Heard it is lovely. Best way to travel, espeically if you have already visited most of the large cities in Europe...as have your traveling companions so you have so much in common. we do not choose to travel with friends..we love meeting new people.. and , if not, it gives us a chance to spend a week or two enjoying each other's company. We actually started the small ship cruises when we were in our 40's..with the small, 120 passenger Renasissance...LOVED it... and Now the concept is back again full force. Good luck, you can hardly make a mistake..just choose the newest ships you can, and check out the room sizes... Nothing under 150 sq feet for me.

Archived