Grand Cayman Snorkeling - RCCL Excursion

Cindy

We recently took an RCCL excursion, "Grand Cayman Snorkeling." This was a great value for the money and we had a really good time. Here's an excerpt from my review and a few photos:

Well, the third time’s a charm! This was our third cruise attempt to go to Grand Cayman, and the first time we actually made it to that port. The weather in Grand Cayman was close to perfect…bright, sunny, and warm with very little wind. We chose to snorkel in Grand Cayman, and took a ship’s tour in the morning. Our excursion, Grand Cayman Snorkeling, had around 40 people on it and we were taken out on a dive boat that was a short walk from the tender dock. We made two snorkeling stops. The first was at the Wreck of the Cali, and the second was at Cheeseburger Reef. The water was crystal clear, and I think I saw more varieties of fish here than in any of the places we’ve snorkeled. We also had plenty of room to swim without suffering from Fin in the Face syndrome! I was thankful we chose an early excursion because the sites did start to get crowded as more tour boats arrived.

We were surprised by how close to shore the snorkeling sites were, and our guide explained why everything is close to land. He said there is a very dramatic drop not too far off shore, and he used the anchored ships to make his point. The bows of the ships were anchored in 60 feet of water, but the sterns of the ships were in water 6,000 feet deep! He went on to say that we wouldn’t be able to see anything out in that water, but there might be things out there that would be interested in us! Another interesting tidbit our guide shared with us is how the reefs are named. If you look straight to shore from the reef, the closest building is what the reef gets its name from. What’s the closest building to Cheeseburger Reef? You guessed it…Burger King!

After our snorkeling trip, we made the required stop at the Tortuga Rum Cake Store (Jim’s idea) and a jewelry store (my idea) and then went back to the ship around 1:00 with no wait for a tender. We had a great lazy afternoon on the ship, and sat out on the balcony later in the day where we could see the LONG line to tender back to the ship. Luckily the Voyager used the large tenders and the line seemed to move quickly.

2387723680064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

2644722500064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

2383995950064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

2250039760064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks so much for linking me to this post from my other thread. I'm going on the same excursion in about six weeks (eee!), and I can't wait. Thanks so much for sharing your experience - and your pictures! I appreciate it.

Erica

Archived