Euro Question

There is always going to be a fee . whether it is explicitly stated or hidden in the exchange rate (or both). Usually the best net return is found by using your ATM card once you get there. If you don't want to do that, you will still do better exchanging money over in euro-land than at home.

Paul

Anyone know Where I can exchange US dollars for Euros without paying a fee? All the banks around me seem to charge a fee. Thanks

You will always pay a fee for the exchange. Buy a minimum of Euro's before you go to cover taxi fares when you get to your destination then use your ATM card at local banks for the rest. Also ask your bank if they will assess a fee for ATM withdrawals in Europe. Some do but my local bank didn't so I always got my Euro's at the current days rate. Also, try this website for buying Euros online; www dot xe dot com. Their exchange rate will usually be less than at a bank.

We decided to ge a few Euro's before leaving and paid a fee of $15 through our bank. The exchange rate changes every day so the longer you wait the more it will cost you.

I guess that means the value of Euros keeps going up?

Buy them now or you'll never be able to afford them?

Huh?

You will always pay a fee for the exchange. Buy a minimum of Euro's before you go to cover taxi fares when you get to your destination then use your ATM card at local banks for the rest. Also ask your bank if they will assess a fee for ATM withdrawals in Europe. Some do but my local bank didn't so I always got my Euro's at the current days rate. Also, try this website for buying Euros online; www dot xe dot com. Their exchange rate will usually be less than at a bank.

we do`nt pay commission on exchanges in UK for currencies. Wait until you get to Europe and use local exchanges :cool: :cool:

Dancing, please. When you buy euros through your bank there is not only the outrageous fee of $15 in your case, but you pay an extra 5% or more in the exchange rate they use to convert your dollars to euros.

So, if you spend 300 dollars to buy euros, you actually will get about $270 dollars worth.

Not too many of us want to loose $30 on a simple transaction, but if you feel happy by having the euros in your pocket, go ahead.

12B@C

Thanks for the inf but a little late now as I already have them. I did check on this board for various posts as to what you pay and it seems that getting them on the ship is far more expensive. We also checked with AAA and American Express. It is good to see how others do pay attention and maybe your advise will help others, again thanks.

I'm one that doesn't worry too much about the fees when converting money.

My first trip to England in 1987, I bought AMEX travelers checks and think I figured about $60 in the 10 days to keep cashing them. There just weren't enough AMEX offices in the small hamlets we went to to cash them free. My friend had Barclay Travelers checks and wasn't charged any fees at all.

I've done travelers checks in Australian currency (still had fees). Then I went to getting cash money here for whereever I was going to travel. Holland, Belgium Luxembourg, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Greece, etc.

Now with the EURO so strong, we are certainly losing a lot of money just to think of even going to Europe at this time. When you are having to pay $300 per night for a hotel room, and I'm sure food won't be cheap, why worry about a $30 fee to exchange money here in the U.S.

I've paid for all the tours, hotels, transfers etc. in U.S. dollars to try and save some money, but I'm not overly concerned with the fees for exchanging dollars to EUROs.

I did get a Capital One credit card that I plan to use for expenses not already paid for, but one can only do so much in trying to save some money. Why be penny wise and dollar foolish???

Let me add here in case someone reads this for the future that AAA is about the worse way to go for any kind of currancy exchange..they are very high and their fees are outrageous.Just an FYI.

Archived