Airline Schedule Change Making Me Rethink Vancouver Stay...advice Needed

Delta Airlines has changed my schedule from arriving in Vancouver at 2:30 pm to now getting there are 10:30 pm. No other options at this time. I had booked the Blue Horizon (at $170 @ night) since we'd have Saturday night and all day Sunday to sightsee before our Monday sailing. Now with the schedule change, Saturday is a wash, so am now considering staying at the Bestwestern Uptown (really good reviews and close to public transit at $124 @ night) Need advise if saving the $100+ bucks is worth not being right downtown. Thanks for any help you can offer.

You might want to look at Ramada Limited downtown on Pender St. It's close to Gastown & in walking distance to most everything. It is definitely not 4 star but comfortable for a place just to sleep before your cruise. We are staying there the night before our cruise in May. Our friends who spreviously stayed there enjoyed it.

vp

I understand your math. The issue I have with the BW-Uptown is that you are in a nondescript area out of the downtown area and could be staying in any city anywhere in North America. I am not pushing the BH but it is downtown and centre ice in terms of the whole fashionable shops and restaurant scene of Robson St. You can walk to Stanley Park, Canada Place, Pacific Centre, the Art Gallery and many of the other downtown sights. At the BW you have a 15 min or so commute to downtown. If the $100 is going to keep you up at night then go to the BW; if not I think the BH is the better bet. Shame on Delta for putting you in this position.

I agree with Putterdude! The BH is a better choice no matter how much time you will lose on the flight change. You'll be closer to seeing everything fun about the city if you stay downtown.

Thanks for the GREAT advice. You all have told me exactly what I needed to know. We'll be keeping our reservation at the Blue Horizon and maximizing our time in Vancouver! As far as scheduling the days, any suggestions on the order of things. Does it make more sense to use the full day to see the suspension bridge, Grouse Mtn. and any other sights you all recommend we don't miss, then on Monday (we sail at 4:30 pm) visit Stanley Park. Again any suggestions are much appreciated. I love these boards!!!

If you want to see the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain then yes it would probably be best to do it on your full day. Seeing as you are staying at the BH you actually can go by transit if you wish and probably the best thing to do would be to purchase the $9.00 all-day bus pass which can be had at almost any “C” store. Here is the transit link, you can do it all by bus by walking the 2 block to Georgia St. or walking to the Sky Train Station on Burrard St. adjacent the Hyatt Regency and going by Sky Train, Sea Bus across the harbour and then bus. http://www.translink.bc.ca/

There are 2 other stops on the way between the bridge and the skyride and they are the Capilano Fish Hatchery and the Cleveland Dam, both have free admittance. All you need to do is tell the Capilano bus driver what you want to do and he/she will make sure to let you off at the closest stop, they are extremely friendly and very accommodating. They will even tell you when the next bus will be along. By the way, the Sea Bus is a fun way to see the harbour and the regular bus will drive you over the Lions Gate bridge and along the Stanely Park causeway, so maybe you could go by bus one way and come back the other.

http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/facilities/capilano/capilano_e.htm

http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/ClevelandDam01.html

www.capbridge.com

www.grousemountain.com

On your half day there is a coach tour that is designed just for cruise ship passengers which picks you and your bags up at your hotel in the morning, gives you a good tour of the city and drops you off at the cruise terminal. There is also the Hop on Hop off Trolley but that doesn’t accommodate baggage. Here are the links:

http://www.vancouvertours.com/index.html

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/citytours/tour.html

I hope this helps and that you enjoy our fare city.

What would be on your "must see" list for Vancouver?

Tough, tough question....but here goes:

Stanley Park, lots of things to see

Queen Elizabeth Park, great view over the city towards the North Shore Mountains.

Granville Island, very interesting festival market.

Gastown, were Vancouver started, burned down, and rebuilt.

Chinatown, but if you have been to San Francisco's you could pass

Grouse Mtn. Skyride, but only if it is nice day as you will have great views of the city.

Capilano Suspension Bridge, great attraction, people love it, but a little touristy for me.

Science World, particularly interesting if you are travelling with children.

Archived