Relaxation in Limon, Costa Rica??

gnlma1

I have never been to Limon, Costa Rica. We will be going there in November when we sail on the Carnival Freedom. Usually when we go to a port we like to spend the day laying by a beach and/or eating lunch and having some drinks. Is there anywhere in Limon near the port to do this?

Limon, and Costa Rica on the Caribbean side is not know for its beaches....in fact I believe there is a warning about beaches near Limon. A month or so ago a passenger on a cruise ship that went to the beach right next to the port went swimming and drowned in rip!!

You can get a cab at the end of the pier and get them to to take you to a nice restaurant in town....just not downtown! Limon is a typical Caribbean port town...not pretty!

Having said all that it is great place to visit....especially if you pick up a local excursion on the dock!

• 2 weeks later...
Limon, and Costa Rica on the Caribbean side is not know for its beaches....in fact I believe there is a warning about beaches near Limon. A month or so ago a passenger on a cruise ship that went to the beach right next to the port went swimming and drowned in rip!!

You can get a cab at the end of the pier and get them to to take you to a nice restaurant in town....just not downtown! Limon is a typical Caribbean port town...not pretty!

Having said all that it is great place to visit....especially if you pick up a local excursion on the dock!

Glad I checked this post...just what I needed to know :D

Thanks

• 1 month later...

We will also be on the Freedom in November and were also looking for a beach to relax.

Sounds like we need to go to Plan B.

I did find Oscar's website that lists the tours he offers...

http://oscarbrowntours.com/tours.html

So we may just end up taking tour 7 and go horseback riding....if we do anything at all.

We have a special needs son and are very restricted to what we can do.

He usually just like to sit on the beach and play in the sand.

• 3 weeks later...

LHP: We are sailing on the Freedom in January so I hope that you will give a good/bad review of your tour in Costa.

We are thinking of using Oscar and will wait to make sure you made it back safely :)

What do you have planned for Panama?

There are all kinds of great excursions in Panama...but for sure...do not miss the "Flea Market" that is right on the cruise ship pier in Cristobol! There is a converted freight shed on the pier where the excursion buses return to, and I guess depart from for some cruise lines. One end of the shed has been converted to a "mall" with all your typical Caribbean jewelery, etc stores you see in almost every port. BUT....if you walk all the way to the back of the "Mall" you will find the doors into the Flea Market....which is where all the local artisans sell their crafts.

It is amazing to just walk through and look at all the art, but I guarantee you will end up buying something. Prices are the best we found in the Caribbean so far! You'll find a couple of Emberra Indian families selling woven baskets and hand made jewellery. (BTW the Emberra's don't wear a lot of clothing, which makes them probably a lot smarter than everyone else considering the heat and humidity in Panama, but the women do not wear tops...neither do the men! So if you, or someone in your group/family do not want to be confronted by nudity you should keep this in mind.)

We wound up buying silk screens, baskets and jewellery after we had decided that we would not bother shopping in Panama!!

This is so far the best shopping for local artistry we have found in the Caribbean.

Hope you have great cruise.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did the canal tour, dole banana plantation, and saw lots of monkeys, and I even got to hold a baby sloth. For lunch we went to an amazing shack on the beach and had the best cheapest lobster we have ever had, just caught that morning!!! Go with Oscar Brown and his sister! You'll love it. We are going in Dec. and this time we are going to do the flowers, butterflies and a pineapple plantation. If you are the adventerous type, I understand they have the best ziplines in the country!!!! Nancie:cool:

Archived