Please distinguish difference b/w cocktail dress and formal

CariBlue

Hello.
Well, I'm not sure I actually know what exactly a cocktail dress is as opposed to a formal gown. What can I say? I ususally spend my weekend evenings in the woods tracking frogs and owls and other nocturnal friends. No, that's not a metaphor for going to dive bars!

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that the dress I bought for formal night qualifies as a formal and not cocktail. It's floor length, but I might have it shortened to T-length. That is, if people are still doing that. If that's WAY 80's please let me know! Will I feel overdressed in a formal?

Thanks!

Shorter dresses of a simpler design are usually considered cocktail dresses. Both cocktail and formal dresses are just fine for formal nights. You will see people in everything from a dressy pantsuits to long sequined gowns and all inbetween attire. They range in length from floor lenght to mini length depending on the age of the person and itinerary.

Hi!! Welcome to Princess!! :) There is no difference. You may wear a long gown, a short very dressy dress, (cocktail dress) or a dressy dress, a long skirt and dressy top, a short skirt and dressy top, same tops, dressy pants, The options are endless, and you will look great!!! :D

To my definition, a cocktail dress is a knee or mid-calf length dress or a dressy pants suit for women, dark suit for gentlemen. Formal can be either a flashy knee length dress or floor length gown for ladies, dark suit or tux/dinner jacket for gentlemen. Personally, I find floor-length gowns on a cruise just too much to pack and they can be difficult to walk in during rough seas. (Could you imagine having to abandon ship in a long gown????) I much prefer both the look and comfort of a glitzy short dress, maybe with sequins or beading, with nice jewellery, a reasonable height strappy sandal and a nice clutch bag. :)

[quote name='sue d. miller']Hi!! Welcome to Princess!! :) There is no difference. You may wear a long gown, a short very dressy dress, (cocktail dress) or a dressy dress, a long skirt and dressy top, a short skirt and dressy top, same tops, dressy pants, The options are endless, and you will look great!!! :D[/QUOTE]
How is it the ladies have so many more options for formal night then the men?..We are told by the "experts" on this board that it's either a tux or a dark suit...They say a dark blazer is not acceptable...Just curious!

[quote name='Opinions']How is it the ladies have so many more options for formal night then the men?..We are told by the "experts" on this board that it's either a tux or a dark suit...They say a dark blazer is not acceptable...Just curious![/QUOTE]

Probably because some man came up with the 'rules' as to what is and what isn't 'formal'. ;) All kidding aside, I did see a gentleman one formal evening dressed in white pants, white shoes, shirt (don't remember color), great tie and dark blazer and he looked great. Didn't offend me (DH in tux) at all.

Archived