Ventura Wi-Fi

snorlax555

You are usually charge per minute and usually quite high, typically about 50-75p per minute on other cruise ships, so we tend to find internet cafes ashore. Ventura's maiden cruise will be our first time on P&O so I would be interested if anybody knows their wifi charge, it might be worth bringing the laptop.

Thanks

You are usually charge per minute and usually quite high, typically about 50-75p per minute on other cruise ships, so we tend to find internet cafes ashore. Ventura's maiden cruise will be our first time on P&O so I would be interested if anybody knows their wifi charge, it might be worth bringing the laptop.

Thanks

When we were on Oceana last summer and you could buy packages of internet access which worked out about 12-25p/minute depending on the price of the package you buy (I think 250 minutes was about £30) You could also pay by the minute which was 30p/minute.

You could also rent a wireless card for £5 allowing you to use your own laptop onboard.

I am on Ventura this weekend and plan to get some internet access so I can keep in touch with a website I help run. I will find out what packages they have on offer and will report back next week to say what offers are available and whether you can hire wireless cards for laptops.

Feebee_71 :)

The Oriana was the same sort of charges which I think are really reasonable considering you are in the middle of no-where when you use it.

The problem with the Oriana is that the Wi-Fi was just in the Cyber-Study and the Crows Nest.

Hopefully the Ventura will be everywhere. Would be nice to be able to use the laptop on the balcony!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Feebee71 Did you enjoy your weekender on Ventura? Any information on Wi Fi charges packages and using your own laptop. Thanks Gill

Hi Gill,

I never made it to the Cyb@study so I wasn't able to find out about their wi-fi coverage or internet packages (there was just far too much to see!!!)

Feebee_71:)

• 3 weeks later...

Just back and did not take my laptop in the end but I saw people using them on deck so presume wifi was not in the cabins. The internet cafe price was 30p minute but there were packages and half price happy hours at various times. There was a £1.95 set up charge on first use.

• 1 month later...

I used the web very briefly on Ventura, I took my wireless laptop - it's available in all the public lounges and suites (Apparently) at a charge. A £1.95 per cruise set up charge plus airtime charged to your on board account on any of three separate plans. I used the basic pay as you go option at £0.30 per minute, bandwith will be limited!

P & O (Venturer) uses www.seamobile.com as it's provider.

H

I was on Artemis recently and used the wifi a great deal, there were various packages which went from 30p per minute with no prepay to a 250 minute package which was 16p per minute. There is a £1.95 one off charge. I understand these are fleet wide rates. One interesting fact is that Skype.com is a blocked site so you cannot use voip, I was told it used too much bandwidth which is true but I am sure they would rather have passengers use ship to shore phones than Skype. I don't blame them or think the s to s charges are excessive when you consider you are in the middle of the Atlantic. It is sad that we need to have these tools but then again it enables me to cruise a lot and still "work". No-one knows where I am, have laptop, will travel.

Does that mean that you can use your internet and skype for free if you take your own laptop or is there a charge. We are going on Ventura cant imagine its free!!

Roley, you will be lucky if you can use Skype. Voice over IP calls rely on good latency. I would suggest that having to get your internet signal thorugh a satellite is really going to bugger up the latency. Whilst it will be fine(ish) for browsing/emails etc. I think voice calls may beyond its capabilities.

Does anyone have experience of Skype or similar on a cruise ship?

Gerry

Archived