I am SO bummed! I'm supposed to be in Hawaii right now

80sGurl

Hi all,

I have a really depressing story... We were supposed to leave on a plane yesterday for Hawaii. Our cruise leaves this evening. I saw the ATA Airlines Bankruptcy announcement on Thursday, 1 day before we were supposed to leave.

I freaked! My tickets were no good.

So I literally spent from 10:15am Thursday till about 9:30pm trying to get alternate tickets. I also spent a good 4 hours on Friday making attempts to get tix... NOTHING. I went back and forth to the airport three times total and spent all day on the phone or internet with ALL the carriers.

I had an AMAZING deal on this cruise. I booked it with my Carnival Sea Miles credit card miles. I used up 88,000 points and basically got the lowest level room for $2099 for our family of 4.

The real kicker here and huge bummer?? About 3 days ago, the travel agent called and said Norwegian was trying to get rid of a Family Suite, so for $150 more per person, for the whole week, we could be upgraded. I jumped on that!! 3x the size of our original room, 2 bedrooms, a living room, large floor to ceiling french windows. We have never been to Hawaii, so we were all totally excited and I worked long and hard to make this happen.

It appears ALL the airlines are completely booked because of the bankruptcy of Aloha Airlines too. People are scrambling to get alternate tickets, hence I had no luck. I tried SO hard. I tried every angle, believe me. If you can find a flight, it's like $2000-$3500 round trip. That would be $8,000 plus and we just can't afford that. The soonest flights are Monday too, which is really too late.

So to make a long story short, we are here and not going. I am able to get a refund on the tickets because the first leg was thru US Air and they are going to refund me, which I'm thankful for.

Unfortunately I did not get Trip Insurance and I see where that was a huge mistake... you just never know what might happen. I am hoping that my travel agent can at least get the $600 upgrade back or even some kind of voucher to get a discount on another cruise... something! Even my 88,000 miles back?

Am I being unreasonable? I don't know, I guess I'm just emotional and sad about the whole thing.

If my agent doesn't get anywhere (and I really don't think he's trying too hard to be honest, because he'll lose a commission, I'm not happy with his response and lack of emotion at all) I have the Customer Relations number for Norwegian and I'm going to fax a letter and go from there. There's really not much else I can do.

That's my unfortunate story!! Thx for listening!!

Tina M

San Diego CA

80sGurl, I thought I was having a bad day until I read your post.

No, you are not being unreasonable. It certainly sounds like you did everything you could to resolve the flight problem. I wonder why your TA didn't know about the implosion of ATA before the fact. Putting travel arrangements in the hands of a TA should reduce the vacation planning stress factor to zero. The stateroom upgrade only adds to the pain.

I'll be very curious about how the cruise line will help you. Hopefully, they will offer some kind of credit.

Hang in there.

Tina you have my sympathy, I can;t imagine that happening, I hope you are successful in getting something back and you and your family can go on vacation somewhere.

I suppose that the airlines are streched beyone their means trying to get people to their destinations. Two airlines in one week is unbelieveable.

Sorry this has happened to you.

I am so sorry. This is just awful. We do not have travel protection on our upcoming transatlantic cruise (mainly because we are driving to NYC and it is only for the 2 of us) but I do have insurance on our return hotel and flights. I just called to see if I could add insurance to my cruise but was told "no" because it needs to be ordered and paid for before final payment of the cruise itself.... who knew? But MAYBE because you just upgraded and most likely did so via credit card, in fact have not "Paid" for your cruise yet ... maybe there is a loop-hole or gray area here, that allows you NOW to get insurance or at least contact your credit card company to dispute the upgrade charge...?

But I am a bit curious ... this is your first post, did you just now here about Cruise Critic? It is an invaluable resource and if there is any help for your situation I am sure you will find it on these boards.

Good Luck,

Juried

80sGurl, I thought I was having a bad day until I read your post.

No, you are not being unreasonable. It certainly sounds like you did everything you could to resolve the flight problem. I wonder why your TA didn't know about the implosion of ATA before the fact. Putting travel arrangements in the hands of a TA should reduce the vacation planning stress factor to zero. The stateroom upgrade only adds to the pain.

I'll be very curious about how the cruise line will help you. Hopefully, they will offer some kind of credit.

Hang in there.

A dear friend is a TA who usually arranges our trips; low and behold a few years ago we were in a similar situation with Southeast Airlines; We were stranded in Florida.

No one knew until it happened. These airlines don't publicize that they're going out of business; they just do it one day in the middle of the night - Pack up and disappear.

Luckily, we were already in our destination; I'd much rather be stuck in Hawaii or Florida for a few extra days than miss my vacation... Poor soul; I feel so bad for her and her family. I would definately be on the phone with NCL trying to get a cruise credit for a future cruise anywhere.... as long as it is some credit.

And, I hope that OP called the Cruiseline and Cancelled rather than be a No-Show.... it will bode better in her favor.

BUMMER:( Actually now it's THREE airlines this week w/ AirBus gone. I hope you can get something back. I wonder how many other people are in this place and the ships are going out half full? I hope if there are alot of no-shows the cruises will be more willing to do something.

If you charge the airfare to a credit card you will get money back. Now you have unfortunately learned that you need insurance. AIG Travelguard is $78 a week. You would have been covered. Did NCL book it for you? They should put you on another cruise with air for next week. If not then again not good news specially if you didn't use a credit card to buy the air.

Hi all,

I have a really depressing story... We were supposed to leave on a plane yesterday for Hawaii. Our cruise leaves this evening. I saw the ATA Airlines Bankruptcy announcement on Thursday, 1 day before we were supposed to leave.

I freaked! My tickets were no good.

So I literally spent from 10:15am Thursday till about 9:30pm trying to get alternate tickets. I also spent a good 4 hours on Friday making attempts to get tix... NOTHING. I went back and forth to the airport three times total and spent all day on the phone or internet with ALL the carriers.

I had an AMAZING deal on this cruise. I booked it with my Carnival Sea Miles credit card miles. I used up 88,000 points and basically got the lowest level room for $2099 for our family of 4.

The real kicker here and huge bummer?? About 3 days ago, the travel agent called and said Norwegian was trying to get rid of a Family Suite, so for $150 more per person, for the whole week, we could be upgraded. I jumped on that!! 3x the size of our original room, 2 bedrooms, a living room, large floor to ceiling french windows. We have never been to Hawaii, so we were all totally excited and I worked long and hard to make this happen.

It appears ALL the airlines are completely booked because of the bankruptcy of Aloha Airlines too. People are scrambling to get alternate tickets, hence I had no luck. I tried SO hard. I tried every angle, believe me. If you can find a flight, it's like $2000-$3500 round trip. That would be $8,000 plus and we just can't afford that. The soonest flights are Monday too, which is really too late.

So to make a long story short, we are here and not going. I am able to get a refund on the tickets because the first leg was thru US Air and they are going to refund me, which I'm thankful for.

Unfortunately I did not get Trip Insurance and I see where that was a huge mistake... you just never know what might happen. I am hoping that my travel agent can at least get the $600 upgrade back or even some kind of voucher to get a discount on another cruise... something! Even my 88,000 miles back?

Am I being unreasonable? I don't know, I guess I'm just emotional and sad about the whole thing.

If my agent doesn't get anywhere (and I really don't think he's trying too hard to be honest, because he'll lose a commission, I'm not happy with his response and lack of emotion at all) I have the Customer Relations number for Norwegian and I'm going to fax a letter and go from there. There's really not much else I can do.

That's my unfortunate story!! Thx for listening!!

Tina M

San Diego CA

I am so sorry. This is just awful. We do not have travel protection on our upcoming transatlantic cruise (mainly because we are driving to NYC and it is only for the 2 of us) but I do have insurance on our return hotel and flights. I just called to see if I could add insurance to my cruise but was told "no" because it needs to be ordered and paid for before final payment of the cruise itself.... who knew? But MAYBE because you just upgraded and most likely did so via credit card, in fact have not "Paid" for your cruise yet ... maybe there is a loop-hole or gray area here, that allows you NOW to get insurance or at least contact your credit card company to dispute the upgrade charge...?

But I am a bit curious ... this is your first post, did you just now here about Cruise Critic? It is an invaluable resource and if there is any help for your situation I am sure you will find it on these boards.

Good Luck,

Juried

Go to Travelguard or Itravelinsured. You can buy insurance. The only thing that isn't covered is likely medical issues that would cause you to cancel; if you purchase and something happens due to airline / cruiseline then you would be covered....

they wll insure you up to last day booking it.

We have AIG Travelguard for $78 a week total. We get double coverage for booking it within 14 days of deposit.

Good Luck,

Juried

I sure wish I got the travel ins... that's all I can say and I learned a lesson.

Juried - yup, I've been on these boards before, but I used to post on Disney when I was planning a Dis Cruise a few years ago. These boards are great, no doubt. This cruise would have been my 6th cruise, I love cruising

Sakedad - I too am wondering how many No Shows there will be, and if the boat will be empty. I know there will be a lovely family suite empty this week :(

MACOP- nope, NCL didn't book me. a travel agent did thru my Carnival Sea Miles credit card. I'm not happy AT ALL with is service, he totally seems like he doesn't care. He was going to look into getting me the upgrade money back and left Friday without even an email or an update, he really could care less.

When I was at the airport multiple times desperately trying to get tickets, I met a reverend who was trying to get to Hawaii to marry a couple. First he tix were thru Aloha, then ATA, wow... bad luck on that one

I heard another story of a couple who were trying to get to Hawaii to for their wedding, and they just couldn't get over there

I am actually going to call NCL right now to let them know that I couldn't get tix after all. The ship leaves tonight at 8pm and I was holding out hope that some airlines would open up some flights. I definately want to at least get it on record with NCL that I tried to get there.

thx for all the responses...

Tina

Most important, I feel bummed for you.

To those big on the travel insurance, it would refund the money, but not the vacation. The vacation is still gone.

To the person that said AirBus folded. Wrong. Airbus makes planes. Skybus our of Columbus,OH did fold. There were five airlines this week, a few of which were rather small that folded. Suck$, but it is business.

As to airlines giving anyone notice. They just plain can not do that. When they decide to fold, they fold. Simple math and business decision.

Just a sad situation. Not sure how far the US Airways portion was taking you, but I might have taken that and tried to get a connection. Somewhere along the line, some other people will not be making their connections, possibly. Just an outside chance. Again, I MIGHT have taken it that far.

In the end, not much you can do. One of the few times that booking cruiseline air would have been a good idea. I still would not do it, but it sure catches your attention.

Maybe those "stuck on the mainland" can fly here today or even tomorrow and meet the ship in Hilo? Just a thought. There are still 1,000s of folks here trying to get out.... Sad situation.

Wharf Rat.. I tried that angle too. tried to get tix to Hilo or Maui, 2 of the early stops on the cruise... no luck! nothing is available.

my flight was going US Air to Phx, then ATA from Phx to Honolulu. I was told that going standby in Phx would be a joke, there was already a list a MILE long of people going to try the standby thing. I don't think myself, my husband or my 2 kids could have handled that disappointment of waiting in Phx and realizing it wasn't going to happen.

I would rather be stuck in hawaii to be honest. I know San Diego is lovely, but Hawaii! We've never been

If I was in Hawaii and could take a week vacation this might be a great day to show up at the pier w/ luggage and try to get those no-show's cabins on the cheap!:rolleyes: Better than them going out unoccupied.

Wharf Rat.. I tried that angle too. tried to get tix to Hilo or Maui, 2 of the early stops on the cruise... no luck! nothing is available.

my flight was going US Air to Phx, then ATA from Phx to Honolulu. I was told that going standby in Phx would be a joke, there was already a list a MILE long of people going to try the standby thing. I don't think myself, my husband or my 2 kids could have handled that disappointment of waiting in Phx and realizing it wasn't going to happen.

I would rather be stuck in hawaii to be honest. I know San Diego is lovely, but Hawaii! We've never been

Do you have any friends in HI. You could make their week by giving them a call and offering to transfer your booking for a real bargain. Better to get a little something back on your investment.

Wharf Rat - know anyone that wants to cruise on the POAM today ?

with their $10 fares each week & they complain about fuel charges????

Most important, I feel bummed for you.

To those big on the travel insurance, it would refund the money, but not the vacation. The vacation is still gone.

To the person that said AirBus folded. Wrong. Airbus makes planes. There were three airlines, a few of which were rather small that folded. Suck$, but it is business.

As to airlines giving anyone notice. They just plain can not do that. When they decide to fold, they fold. Simple math and business decision.

Just a sad situation. Not sure how far the US Airways portion was taking you, but I might have taken that and tried to get a connection. Somewhere along the line, some other people will not be making their connections, possibly. Just an outside chance. Again, I MIGHT have taken it that far.

In the end, not much you can do. One of the few times that booking cruiseline air would have been a good idea. I still would not do it, but it sure catches your attention.

I doubt I would risk being stuck in Phoenix. LA or San Fran maybe.

You know what is sad. There are people right now stuck in Hawaii looking for hotel rooms since they can not get a flight home. Too bad they can not catch up with the folks missing their cruise and cruise for another week. by then, the airlines will have a few more seats available.

Airbus makes plane is correct.

Skybus is the airline that folded. I knew what the OP meant and I think its kinda rude for this to be posted.

Originally Posted by garycarla viewpost.gif

To the person that said AirBus folded. Wrong. Airbus makes planes. There were three airlines, a few of which were rather small that folded. Suck$, but it is business.

If you knew about the third airline why not just correct and say it was skybus?

Archived