I am SO bummed! I'm supposed to be in Hawaii right now

80sGurl

Ironic thing - my 8 yr old daughter was invited to a bday party/slumber party tonight and originally we had said no because we were 'supposed' to be on the cruise, so now she can go. Guess what the theme is??? Hawaiian!! LOL

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this whole fiasco. Today is especially crappy because I keep thinking about boarding the ship today.

I am so sorry this happened to you. I know exactly how you feel right now - we were forced to cancel our transatlantic cruise a week before sailing last August due to my daughter coming down with a very serious illness that kept us in the hospital for three weeks. We were unbelievably disappointed (especially my daughter), because we had spent over a year planning and anticipating that trip. At one point she asked me, "If I'm better by Friday, can we still go?" :( We knew she wouldn't be better by Friday. We were all especially gloomy on the day we should have been boarding. Ironically, we noticed reminders of 'Barcelona' everywhere, from T-shirts to movie locations, a cast member at Walt Disney World who was from Barcelona, and on and on. I still haven't fully gotten over my disappoinment, but it helps to have a new trip to plan. We did have trip insurance, and our money was refunded, which did help to alleviate the stress.

I think I would be all over your TA's manager. Someone at the agency needs to be available to assist you in this situation. For him to just walk away from you is absolutely unacceptable.

To those big on the travel insurance, it would refund the money, but not the vacation. The vacation is still gone.
Yes, the vacation is gone, but the money to take a different vacation is available. It makes a huge difference to know that you can use that $5-10K (or more) when your situation improves, instead of it being forfeit and having to start saving all over again.

My sister and her family flew out that day also. They lucked out because they flew out Saturday morning out of South Bend. Normally they leave out of Milwaukee. They got twelve inches of snow that day. I heard about all the cancellations also. They were headed to Florida also. Glad you made it.

(They live in Hawthorne Woods)

Oh my, Tina! I feel bad for you and your family's situation. You certainly are doing everything you can and we are all rooting for you in having something work out!

We were stuck home in my city during one vacation week...we ended up pretended we were tourists in our own city and visited places we took for granted living there. We ended up having a good time. Although not Hawaii, there might be some cool things in San Diego or surrounding area? Just a thought since you seem to have a great attitude!

Best wishes,

Coka

Er, what was the problem with flying to, say, Vancouver and taking a flight from there? Air Canada had a one-way YVR-HNL seat sale fare of $159 and still does for Sunday (tomorrow), and if you were on a 7-night sailing Westjet has a $249 return fare. Hell, Air Canada is offering a $150 fare for HNL-YVR departures on the 14th and 15th.

Oh, Tina. I am sooo sorry you are in this situation. We cruised on the Pride of Aloha on Feb. 23rd and flew to Hawaii on ATA. We returned home on March 5. I was so thankful that we did not have trouble getting home, with them going out of business less than a month after that. I did not stop to think of other cruisers who might be trying to get to Hawaii this weekend to begin their cruises. I know you and your family must be more disappointed than any of us can imagine. I do hope that you might find some solution to your dilemna, or at least that some other cruise might be substituted. I know the NCL Star has Mexican Riviera cruises that leave from L.A. It is a very nice ship. I would definitely not feel a bit bad about going over your TA's head to his supervisor, since he was not willing to help you.

Tina, you and your family are in my prayers.

Joy

I am sure that everyone can sypathize with someone having to miss a holiday (for whatever the cause), but I am somewhat at a loss to understand why it is suggested that the TA is somehow at fault here to not going to extra effort / not working on the weekend, etc etc. There was the option to buy travel insurance which it would appear was declined - this is no different than declining any other insurance wherein the buyer then assumes all risks. What is more interesting is that booking through a TA is not the best option in all cases - this I have heard repeatedly when something goes wrong with a trip as it is the TA who has to take up to case with the company (and I doubt that many TAs would pursue something as aggressively as the person directly affected). I never use a TA - its just another person in the process through which I have to go through if something goes awry and from my experience, the deals that I have gotten through a bit of research on the internet are the same or better bargains than using a TA.

I am sure that everyone can sypathize with someone having to miss a holiday (for whatever the cause), but I am somewhat at a loss to understand why it is suggested that the TA is somehow at fault here to not going to extra effort / not working on the weekend, etc etc. There was the option to buy travel insurance which it would appear was declined - this is no different than declining any other insurance wherein the buyer then assumes all risks. What is more interesting is that booking through a TA is not the best option in all cases - this I have heard repeatedly when something goes wrong with a trip as it is the TA who has to take up to case with the company (and I doubt that many TAs would pursue something as aggressively as the person directly affected). I never use a TA - its just another person in the process through which I have to go through if something goes awry and from my experience, the deals that I have gotten through a bit of research on the internet are the same or better bargains than using a TA.

Speaking as a former TA and a cruise passenger....the reason a TA has the obligation to work for his/her client in times like this is because they know full well the cruise lines will ALWAYS say "I'm sorry I can't help you as this was booked by a travel agent. Please call them" The client has ABSOLUTELY NO RECOURSE but to deal with the TA...even a bad one!:mad: When a TA is lazy, knows their client is having issues on a weekend and would rather be by THEIR pool with a cocktail then spend a bit of time helping their client, then yes, they are fair game! Had this happened after the TA was gone I would feel different, but the TA clearly knew the client has major problems and left without doing a thing about. You can bet if it was me I would ONLY talk to the OWNER of said travel agency on Monday and demand attention.:mad:

I also really like the idea of calling your local (even national) media outlets to let them know your story. Obviously it's not about the travel agency (yet:mad:) but about losing your family vacation and your kids. The more our government officials realize this is hurting real people the more they are likely to do something.

I think that the point being missed here is that the travel insurance was declined (e.g. if you have a car accident and are not insured then no matter how much you call an agent, call the newspapers, call a politician, etc. etc. you will not have any success). We all buy insurance so that these types of calamities, though rare, don't happen. In a similar vein, what about those people that always buy insurance - I would be very annoyed if I repeatedly had bought insurance and then others who didn't buy it, thereby saving $$$, got the same positive results when plans went awry re refunds, etc. etc. There are very cheap travel insurance options - my credit card, for an annual fee of $99, provides me and my family with comprehensive travel insurance (medical, trip cancellation, etc. etc) as long as I charge the trip to the credit card.

Speaking as a former TA and a cruise passenger....the reason a TA has the obligation to work for his/her client in times like this is because they know full well the cruise lines will ALWAYS say "I'm sorry I can't help you as this was booked by a travel agent. Please call them" The client has ABSOLUTELY NO RECOURSE but to deal with the TA...even a bad one!:mad: When a TA is lazy, knows their client is having issues on a weekend and would rather be by THEIR pool with a cocktail then spend a bit of time helping their client, then yes, they are fair game! Had this happened after the TA was gone I would feel different, but the TA clearly knew the client has major problems and left without doing a thing about. You can bet if it was me I would ONLY talk to the OWNER of said travel agency on Monday and demand attention.:mad:

I also really like the idea of calling your local (even national) media outlets to let them know your story. Obviously it's not about the travel agency (yet:mad:) but about losing your family vacation and your kids. The more our government officials realize this is hurting real people the more they are likely to do something.

Oh, okay. So, as a former travel agent please feel free to tell us what you would have done in this case for your client. I suspect it'd be something along the lines of "make a phone call", and when NCL says "sorry" then what? They deal with unforeseen cancellations on probably every sailing, and there's a reason why they offer insurance themselves. I guess we shouldn't forget here that trip interruption/cancellation insurance would have paid out in this situation if other last-minute arrangements couldn't have been made.

I do sympathize, and I expect the media will be awash with stories of people who have had their vacations ruined because yet another charter or budget airline folded. Hopefully the OP will at least receive a goodwill credit of some sort.

I totally disagree with the last poster, that you buy travel insurance so these things do not happen. Bull roar.

Stuff happens in life. You then try to deal with it. These people have a big problem. Calling next week to get their money back via Travel Insurance does not get them on the ship sailing Saturday or Sunday. The ship is gone, insurance or not.

The TA should have been working hard to find them options. Like the poster here that found flights via Vancouver. As another poster mentioned, that is why I book stuff myself. Though there are good TA's, I have found I can do better than most.

As to being upset that someone got some help, even if they did not pay for insurance. More power to them. Do not be upset because somebody got some help. That issue is as lame as being mad because somebody else got a cruise on sale and paid less than you.

Gee.

Wow Denver Val - your story is similar to mine, but far worse since you had a sick child to worry about. That is awful. I hope she's doing well now.

ps- I've noticed a lot of reminders about Hawaii too, it's funny. I guess you're more atuned to it as you had a lot of reminders about Barcelona

Tina

I am so sorry this happened to you. I know exactly how you feel right now - we were forced to cancel our transatlantic cruise a week before sailing last August due to my daughter coming down with a very serious illness that kept us in the hospital for three weeks. We were unbelievably disappointed (especially my daughter), because we had spent over a year planning and anticipating that trip. At one point she asked me, "If I'm better by Friday, can we still go?" :( We knew she wouldn't be better by Friday. We were all especially gloomy on the day we should have been boarding. Ironically, we noticed reminders of 'Barcelona' everywhere, from T-shirts to movie locations, a cast member at Walt Disney World who was from Barcelona, and on and on. I still haven't fully gotten over my disappoinment, but it helps to have a new trip to plan. We did have trip insurance, and our money was refunded, which did help to alleviate the stress.

I think I would be all over your TA's manager. Someone at the agency needs to be available to assist you in this situation. For him to just walk away from you is absolutely unacceptable.

Yes, the vacation is gone, but the money to take a different vacation is available. It makes a huge difference to know that you can use that $5-10K (or more) when your situation improves, instead of it being forfeit and having to start saving all over again.

Coka,

no doubt, San Diego is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the US and there is tons to do here. We're all just natives and we've done it all :) :) :) But it's ok, we'll fill the time this coming week.

Tina

Oh my, Tina! I feel bad for you and your family's situation. You certainly are doing everything you can and we are all rooting for you in having something work out!

We were stuck home in my city during one vacation week...we ended up pretended we were tourists in our own city and visited places we took for granted living there. We ended up having a good time. Although not Hawaii, there might be some cool things in San Diego or surrounding area? Just a thought since you seem to have a great attitude!

Best wishes,

Coka

I totally disagree with the last poster, that you buy travel insurance so these things do not happen. Bull roar.

Stuff happens in life. You then try to deal with it. These people have a big problem. Calling next week to get their money back via Travel Insurance does not get them on the ship sailing Saturday or Sunday. The ship is gone, insurance or not.

Stuff happens, for instance stuff like this, and a $10,000 trip to Hawaii is gone. Yes, the trip is gone, the ship has sailed, but at least with insurance something like this is covered and the $10,000 is back in the cruisers hands to plan another vacation. Still disappointing none the less that the trip was missed, but it does help that someone doesn't have to dish out that money all over again, making a second planned trip in essence costing $20,000.

Obviously travel insurance won't prevent problems such as these, but the difference between myself and the OP is that if I were in her shoes, I would have been on this ship right now and my insurance would have reimbursed me for any additional out-of-pocket expenses to get there.

ATA folded days ago. It was not impossible - or even difficult - to reach Honolulu in time to make the ship. Sorry.

I used a TA because in order to redeem my Carnival Sea Miles, I had to. It saved me quite a bit of money and I did a ton of research prior to make sure that using my miles was the best deal over just booking it myself on the internet or via NCL, hence the TA. I am in no way blaming the TA, I am just disappointed with his lack of understanding and even attempting to help me out. NCL directly told me that I could at least get my $600 upgrade back that was JUST charged a few days ago, but the TA would have to contact them. When I told the TA this, he seemed hesitant after I told him and I knew it was because of the commission he was losing. I would have loved at least an update Friday on what was going on. In fact, he said he was going to be the one that would need to call the cruise line to tell them I'd be no show. He never even contacted me, so I called the cruise line today out of courtesy to let them know what happened and why we didn't show. Although NCL was hesistant to talk to me (only wanted to talk to the TA) I pretty much forced my way through and just asked them to please make note for the record of our situation...

Tina

actually, the ship sailes in a half hour LOL

and the other good news, we didn't spend $10,000... we spent $2600 for the cruise (the total for all 4 of us) and $2000 for airfare (which is being refunded) - so at this point, I'm only out $2600. Yes, that's a lot of money, a little to some, but I think even more so, is the vacation and the experience is gone, that is what's saddest and most dissapointing to me, not the $2600.

I think the idea of the media although it's a good one, it's probably not one I'd pursue. There are far worse things going on such as the Iraq war, and other terrible things, than my silly story. I am just here because I figured a Cruise Message Board might have a lot of sympathetic ears since I imagine you all love cruising as much as me :)

T

Stuff happens, for instance stuff like this, and a $10,000 trip to Hawaii is gone. Yes, the trip is gone, the ship has sailed, but at least with insurance something like this is covered and the $10,000 is back in the cruisers hands to plan another vacation. Still disappointing none the less that the trip was missed, but it does help that someone doesn't have to dish out that money all over again, making a second planned trip in essence costing $20,000.

I am in no way blaming the TA, I am just disappointed with his lack of understanding and even attempting to help me out. NCL directly told me that I could at least get my $600 upgrade back that was JUST charged a few days ago, but the TA would have to contact them. When I told the TA this, he seemed hesitant after I told him and I knew it was because of the commission he was losing. I would have loved at least an update Friday on what was going on.

Just as a side note for you, as others have suggested I'd call the manager/owner of the travel agency, and document everything while its fresh in your mind as to your dealings with the TA. Maybe since NCL is at least giving you back your $600, and did say the TA would have to contact them, maybe they are willing to work with you. But again, its best to have what has transpired, what you have done, what has happened between you and your TA etc., all written down.

Good luck, and I'm still feeling your pain myself.:(

Davey Interweb:

ok, I BEG TO DIFFER big time. I tried every angle that was feasible for me. Yes, we could have chartered a $70,000 plane or I could have paid $3,000 round trip ($12,000) for my family to get there and left tomorrow, however we don't have that kind of money to spend on airfare.

The day I found out, the day ATA went out of business, was exactly 24 hours before my flight left. I worked non stop from 10:15am that morning till 9:30pm that night with 3 trips to the airport visiting every counter, countless hours with people on the phone and my internet time. The next day I worked on this whole fiasco as well. I realize you just said you found some great flights out of Vancouver. I am in San Diego. I never saw deals like that and I had various travel agents and agents at the airport looking from here to hell and back for me. I can't even imagine what tix from San Diego to Vancouver would cost last minute?

All I've heard and seen on the internet is..."EVERYTHING is booked, ATA & Aloha have caused quite a demand on tickets"

So yes, I suppose I could have reached the ship if I had a LOT of money but my pocketbook can't handle the prices that were put in front of me for airfare. Although my kids are young, I have to keep some money in the bank for college :)

Obviously travel insurance won't prevent problems such as these, but the difference between myself and the OP is that if I were in her shoes, I would have been on this ship right now and my insurance would have reimbursed me for any additional out-of-pocket expenses to get there.

ATA folded days ago. It was not impossible - or even difficult - to reach Honolulu in time to make the ship. Sorry.

I know, Tina. Sure, you could have routed through Vancouver but I'd hazard a guess that it would have cost in the ballpark of $1000 a pop to do so on an open jaw from San Diego -- even with the cheapo YVR-HNL flights. This is not something I would have done if I knew I wouldn't see a refund of this money.

You sound like both a terrific person and a great mom, and I honestly do feel horrible for you. My comments about insurance are more or less directed to the folks that figure that insurance shouldn't be a necessity, and that a travel agent and/or the cruise line will make you whole in these cases if you simply stamp your foot enough. They're wrong.

Tina...I'm so sorry. I'm leaving on a cruise myself tomorrow, but thankfully I'm within driving distance from the port. I saw this on the news Friday at work and my first thought was for the people who were counting on this airline.

So sorry :(.

headed to NCLA cruise yesterday, even leaving a day in advance & could not get a flight out of Cleveland to Honolulu (CO sold out, Delta sold out, UAL sold out, etc). Major story here. They even tried to pool money for a charter but ATA was gone who was the big charter line here.

One gal they interviewed was on her laptop trying everybody from online TAs to the airline web sites & no one had flights even from England!

Too bad our hub airline CO couldn't have gotten a plane for all them to Honolulu as the newsman tried to assist them. It would have been sold out!

Another interviewed smiled & said that they had insurance, they called the company who also tried to get them there with no luck. Atlanta sold out, Cleveland sold out, even Seattle who has Hawaiian Air flying & the new GO!. But they will take another cruise later with air from NCL.

Some bad news to pass on. My family and I will probably have to cancel our cruise. We had 10.00 tickets from skybus and everybody knows what happen to skybus. We have been on-line all night trying to get a new flight but everything is so expensive. The cheapest has been Southwest and that is still 900 dollars we didn't expect to pay. Anybody else affected by this. We are traveling from Columbus,oh. We have tried every route from flying into other airports in the Florida but with no luck. To expensive. We have even thought of driving there and flying back but still would have to pay over 500 dollars. We are going to loose all of our on-board credit which totals around 300 dollars. All other airlines all over priced.

My problem dosen't come close to ompare to yours. I hope for the best and I hope your travel agent will help you. Sometimes life has a way for working these things out. Sometimes it seems like all is lost and the odds are against you but something may pop up to help soften the blow.Keep positive. Mean while I'm still looking.

actually, the ship sailes in a half hour LOL

and the other good news, we didn't spend $10,000... we spent $2600 for the cruise (the total for all 4 of us) and $2000 for airfare (which is being refunded) - so at this point, I'm only out $2600. Yes, that's a lot of money, a little to some, but I think even more so, is the vacation and the experience is gone, that is what's saddest and most dissapointing to me, not the $2600.

I think the idea of the media although it's a good one, it's probably not one I'd pursue. There are far worse things going on such as the Iraq war, and other terrible things, than my silly story. I am just here because I figured a Cruise Message Board might have a lot of sympathetic ears since I imagine you all love cruising as much as me :)

T

Tina.......you seem to be one terrific mom and person. I truly believes what goes around, comes around. You may be dissapointed at your loss today, but with your attitude, something good will be happening....maybe just around the corner.

Keep telling your story with your positive attitude. Someone, somewhere, will be there to see that this does not happen again.

For many years we declined insurance for travel, and just started purchasing it a couple of years ago. We have been very fortunate in the past that something like is happening to you did not happen to us.

Rick

Some bad news to pass on. My family and I will probably have to cancel our cruise. We had 10.00 tickets from skybus and everybody knows what happen to skybus. We have been on-line all night trying to get a new flight but everything is so expensive. The cheapest has been Southwest and that is still 900 dollars we didn't expect to pay. Anybody else affected by this. We are traveling from Columbus,oh. We have tried every route from flying into other airports in the Florida but with no luck. To expensive. We have even thought of driving there and flying back but still would have to pay over 500 dollars. We are going to loose all of our on-board credit which totals around 300 dollars. All other airlines all over priced.

I don't mean to be cruel or unfeeling, but I don't see how any airline could make it if they charge only $10 for tickets! And you can't really say that "all other airlines are over priced". They have to charge enough to pay expenses.

If they would all charge a reasonable amount for an airline ticket and not give such drastic discounts, maybe service would be better and there would be fewer airlines going bankrupt.

When does your cruise leave? I do hope that something comes up and you're able to take your much anticipated cruise. Good Luck!:)

We leave on April 26th on Mariner. The fuel cost is what is driving the cost of flights. You are right everything looks expensive now after having 10.00 dollar tickets. The close we get to the date the more the tickets are costing. We will keep looking and keep you updated. Thanks for your input

Archived