I am SO bummed! I'm supposed to be in Hawaii right now

80sGurl

Jana! Where have you been? I miss you!

coka

COKA! OMG, how funny. Cory (the sister you didn't meet) and I had lunch at Fidel's today (I took pics) and she agreed to host us for a luau on her perfect patio provided Pinocchio Bisson does his fire dance (he and Barb are camping right now so I can say whatever I want, LOL). On my way home I thought "I have to invite Coka!"

I just wonder if you haven't been getting my e-mails. I just wonder.

I'll post the Fidel photos when I change the battery in my camera. Can you come, Coka? Please?

Jana

Hey, I just read through all the previous posts. I thought there really was a party...is there? Okay, I am heading to San Fran anyways so put another NCL skirt steak on the grill Jana!

Coka

I have your real e-mail, Darlin' and I have written to you on it.

Did you get my "proposals?" Like for a birthday cruise? Or the photos of Midgie's spread in NM?

Oh, I miss you too and can't wait to see you again! How's your partner in crime??? Did her two-nighter turn her into a cruiseaholic? Does she want to try again?

jj

ooops posted before I saw that last one, when to SF and why???

Yes, I got the proposals and responded. My partner in crime and I are booked for the Gem New Year's week...we must pay homage to the mermaid for another year of good luck! You interested?

Coka

Coka, after I got your schedule I never heard another word from you!

Did you mean Gem December 27 or Jan. 4th? I'd love to see Lu again (along with you, too), and time on the Gem would be lovely. This time I'd get to be the solo.

How does the Med this summer sound to you? It's hot then but the price is good and the itinerary fabulous. Not NCL though.

I'm going to try to e-mail you at the "real" address or we run the risk of getting "belped." You also have mine, right? Send me an e-mail and include your phone number!

In the meantime, when to SF and why? We haven't set a date for our Hawaiian land cruise yet (so how can you decline, Micki???) but I saw Tina's photo. ooooh, is she gorgeous.

jj

at this point, my travel agent sort of bailed on my on friday and he doesn't work the weekends. When I call him on Monday, I may bring this up, see if his travel agency can offer SOMETHING, anything.... thx for the idea...

Did you ever get your problems resolved? I have wondered about you. THere were about 20 people who missed the cruise. All stuck somewhere. I don't think they ever caught the ship at a later port....

Aloha

Don't expect anything much from NCL. We booked a Hawaiian cruise that was leaving from San Francisco in May 2006. Drove from FL to CA to board the ship, planned on flight back to CA to pick up our car and drive home post-11 day cruise. In checking my home phone answering machine as we entered CA (checked daily during the cross-country trip), had a message from NCL to call them. After 45 minutes on hold, finally got a human who informed us that the cruise was cancelled due to the ship needing more time in SF for repairs that had not been anticipated. We got our money back-fortunately had booked air and post cruise hotel in Hawaii through NCL, got offered a free Hawaii trip if we could take it within 90 days and received NOTHING for our trip from FL to CA.....gas, motels, food-nothing. We were told that the only refunds that NCL was giving in that regard were for "change fees" by airlines to rebook. So, our 11 day cruise became a 7 day one, over $1700. in gas, motels, food, etc. were not in way compensated. Called customer service, wrote to the president of NCL...tried everything and got nothing-not even a response from the president. Felt sorry for those Europeans who might have flown to the US to tour for a while en route to the sailing. We are booked back on NCL next week and are quite apprehensive....and hoping for the best. Thought we would give them one more chance to regain our business.....Good luck to you in dealing with them-maybe they are more responsive now in these economic times.

Don't expect anything much from NCL. We booked a Hawaiian cruise that was leaving from San Francisco in May 2006. Drove from FL to CA to board the ship, planned on flight back to CA to pick up our car and drive home post-11 day cruise. In checking my home phone answering machine as we entered CA (checked daily during the cross-country trip), had a message from NCL to call them. After 45 minutes on hold, finally got a human who informed us that the cruise was cancelled due to the ship needing more time in SF for repairs that had not been anticipated. We got our money back-fortunately had booked air and post cruise hotel in Hawaii through NCL, got offered a free Hawaii trip if we could take it within 90 days and received NOTHING for our trip from FL to CA.....gas, motels, food-nothing. We were told that the only refunds that NCL was giving in that regard were for "change fees" by airlines to rebook. So, our 11 day cruise became a 7 day one, over $1700. in gas, motels, food, etc. were not in way compensated. Called customer service, wrote to the president of NCL...tried everything and got nothing-not even a response from the president. Felt sorry for those Europeans who might have flown to the US to tour for a while en route to the sailing. We are booked back on NCL next week and are quite apprehensive....and hoping for the best. Thought we would give them one more chance to regain our business.....Good luck to you in dealing with them-maybe they are more responsive now in these economic times.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your complaint. Yes, I'd be very upset if a cruise line had to cancel my trip. I'd probably be in tears over it I'd be so disappointed. I cannot imagine how much it upset you.

But, the cancellation was beyond NCL's control. There were evidently repairs that had to be made and like many mechanical issues, they did not realize until they actually got into repairing it how serious the issue was, and how long it would take. So, they had to cancel the next cruise.

Regarding your complaint about them not doing anything for you, how is NCL to know that you are leaving your home a very, very, long time prior to the cruise and driving 3000 miles to get there? That certainly is not "normal" procedure for the majority of cruisers. They also gave you a full refund and a free cruise for the inconvenience. And took care of any airline penaties. I just don't know what more you expect them to do. I'm sure that you enjoyed your road trip to CA and it was actually part of your vacation, including sightseeing along the way, etc. I don't understand why NCL should be obligated to pay you for that part of your vacation. Same goes for Euopeans who decide to make a cruise part of their vacation when visiting the states. You think that if they fly to the US 2 weeks before their cruise and sightsee in the US, and then the cruise is cancelled, that the cruise line should be responsible for all of their expenses in that two weeks? It just doesn't make any sense.

Hope you got to use the free vacation and had a wonderful time!

Did you ever get your problems resolved? I have wondered about you. THere were about 20 people who missed the cruise. All stuck somewhere. I don't think they ever caught the ship at a later port....

Aloha

Here is the problem with this situation. The passengers who had travel insurance will for the most part recover the lost investments. Those without are not going to get much more then a "we are so sorry". This is clearly exactly the situation that NCL and other companies sell insurance to cover. If any company that sells insurance and then covers those without the insurance it could be seen as fraud by the state insurance comission and those who were told to get this protection they must have insurance.

I think we all feel for Tina and many have tried to help but the outlook for any $$$$ back is very hazy.:(

Having a cruise cancelled last minute would be upsetting. That said, you did receive full refund for flight and cancelled cruise. I'm a little confused did NCL give you a free cruise in addition to the refund? I'm sure that would more than compensate for the 1700 land trip that you actually did get to do.

I'm not sure that even with travel insurance you would have been reimbursed for the cross country trip as you had in fact, completed that portion of your travel.

Hi wharf rat - I haven't forgotten about everyone here!! :) I was going to email an update next week, but this is the latest...

I fed ex'd my sad story to Guest Relations and the CEO and they rec'd it on Friday, April 11th. I've got the contact name of someone (a manager) in Support Services too. I was getting a little impatient so I emailed her a couple days ago just to follow up. I got an "automatic" message that she's on vacation until Monday (maybe she's in Hawaii??) haha, bad joke.

So most likely I will be speaking with someone at NCL corporate next week. Of course you guys will be the first to know what comes of it.

Last night I also decided to call my credit cards again. I thought maybe there was a SLIGHT chance that they carried travel protection insurance?? I know that some do.

I put my deposit on the Carnival Mastercard. I put the Balance on a Disney Visa. Both Visa, Mastercard and BArclays BAnk (the one that underwrites the mastercard) have no kind of travel protection for a case like mine. Yet another roadblock. All nice people though that I talked to!

Earlier this morning I decided to call Carnival Sea Miles again. For a refresher in case anyone forgot, in order to get my budget price on the cruise, I used up 88,000 of my sea miles and it saved me about $800 off the cruise. I spoke to a super nice guy on the phone. Sometimes it's just in who you talk to because to be honest, I've talked to quite a variety of people over this whole thing and they can really range in sympathy and their willingness to help. So I pleaded is there any way that maybe I can get those 88,000 miles re-instated. I have really been a good customer that pays my credit card off each month and I charge a lot on it, anything I can so I can earn the Sea Miles. I was on hold forever while he was talking to his supervisor. The bottom line of it all is he's going to send my 'case' to their Corporate office. He said that's the highest it can go and they make the ultimate decision. So he said he'd call me by Wednesday or if I don't hear back, I'm to call him on Wednesday

So to summarize: Carnival Sea Miles Corporate has my case and so does Norwegian Cruise Line corporate in Miami. It's a waiting game at this point...

so that's it for now!!

more soon...

Tina

Aloha

wharf rat- how did you find out about the 20 people that missed the cruise? just curious. WhenI talked to NCL that sunday (that I was supposed to be on the ship) - she had heard of about 10 families that were in limbo.

I've been waiting for some trip reviews on the Pride of america that week but nothing yet. just curious how that trip went?

Tina

Aloha

cruiser32566- wow, that must have been an awful feeling, I really can relate!!!! :(

I would have been so bummed. Especially all that effort in the cross country travels???!!! ugh....

Tina

You ARE kidding us, right???:rolleyes: If you're NOT kidding us...well...it sucks to be you, as the song goes.:p NCL did more than enough for you. Some people....:mad:

a great deal on another cruise would be nice ;) ;) ;)

I know I won't be getting the money back. I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone asked..."did you have travel insurance?" LOL

For the future, I sure will! Especially an expensive trip...

On a happier note, my neighbor is planning a fun ladies cruise in September on the Carnival Elation. It goes down to Cabo. So I do have a cruise in my

future! It may not be Hawaii, but it's a cruise and I really enjoy Carnival! :)

Tina

Here is the problem with this situation. The passengers who had travel insurance will for the most part recover the lost investments. Those without are not going to get much more then a "we are so sorry". This is clearly exactly the situation that NCL and other companies sell insurance to cover. If any company that sells insurance and then covers those without the insurance it could be seen as fraud by the state insurance comission and those who were told to get this protection they must have insurance.

I think we all feel for Tina and many have tried to help but the outlook for any $$$$ back is very hazy.:(

wharf rat- how did you find out about the 20 people that missed the cruise? just curious. WhenI talked to NCL that sunday (that I was supposed to be on the ship) - she had heard of about 10 families that were in limbo.

I've been waiting for some trip reviews on the Pride of america that week but nothing yet. just curious how that trip went?

Tina

Oh 80sGurl. I am so sorry you did not make it. I was rooting for you. I just overheard an officer saying "20 people" missed the ship (I was at the reception desk at the time). There were 1982 PAX and 816 crew. Max pax is 2400 (2 per cabin?) and 750 crew (? - maybe they were giving us more crew to make up for the bad ones in the past?). At 6:00 pm Saturday a plane load came in from L.A. so they just made it. For two days they kept calling (over loud speaker) for the person in the cabin next to me, and put 'notes' on her door. I never saw her. Maybe one of the no shows. I could tell you the cruise was horrid but I would be lieing. It actually was one of the best NCL cruises I have taken. Possibly because I did not book till Friday and had made no plans that fell thru. I did the 'Road To Hana' I have always wanted to do, I got up close and personal with the volcano, and cruised past it where the lava was going into the ocean (at night so the fire red was intense), puttered around at the other port stops. Loved the french fries (best on any cruise line I have been on), and the ice cream (Hawaii's own Roselani), and the jacuzzis. The pools were closed for most of the time (??? why ???). The pools were closed every evening (or day) and drained and cleaned (OSHA). The people who took care of the jacuzzis did a great job. The buffet food was pretty good to me, I tried to eat a lot of veggies, fish and fruit. Gained only 2 pds. The entertainment was 'classic' NCL. OK. No famous guests. We skirted most of the foul weather that was hanging around Hawaii. Fanning stop was the best I have ever seen (sorry...). Some rough weather on the way back, high winds so they closed the decks. One woman fell down the stairs and broke her leg. NEVER wear high heels on a ship! We did not have any propeller problems (as stated on a board message), we made all the ports on time. Some of the crew were good and some weren't . They will dump those when POAloha leaves. The worst were the room stewards. I think they were illiterate. I kept getting other peoples mail, bills, etc. I would tell the RS and they would just smile and say "yes mamm"... Weird! I gave up and trashed "OPM" (other peoples mail).

Some say this ship is up for sale ?

http://cruiseship.homestead.com/cruiseships.html

Hummm NCL said they were sending it off to Asia cruises. And they did say they might consider "renting" Fanning island stop to other cruise lines. They could stop there vs Christmas Island. Can't see it being the end of Fanning. That is one neat island.

Aloha

so I deal with AIG Travelguard for $70 a week for coverage, book within 14 days of deposit & get double coverage.

a great deal on another cruise would be nice ;) ;) ;)

I know I won't be getting the money back. I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone asked..."did you have travel insurance?" LOL

For the future, I sure will! Especially an expensive trip...

On a happier note, my neighbor is planning a fun ladies cruise in September on the Carnival Elation. It goes down to Cabo. So I do have a cruise in my

future! It may not be Hawaii, but it's a cruise and I really enjoy Carnival! :)

Tina

MACOP-thanks! I've bookmarked that site. It sorta makes me sick to see what I could have (or should have!!) paid for Trip insurance for my lost Hawaii cruise. wow, I will be utilitzing this site in the future!

thanks...

so I deal with AIG Travelguard for $70 a week for coverage, book within 14 days of deposit & get double coverage.

wharf rat- it sounded like a great trip!! You were on Pride of Aloha, right? I know you mentioned Fanning Island. I was supposed to be of Pride of America. Still... same week and it sounded great!

Tina

Oh 80sGurl. I am so sorry you did not make it. I was rooting for you. I just overheard an officer saying "20 people" missed the ship (I was at the reception desk at the time). There were 1982 PAX and 816 crew. Max pax is 2400 (2 per cabin?) and 750 crew (? - maybe they were giving us more crew to make up for the bad ones in the past?). At 6:00 pm Saturday a plane load came in from L.A. so they just made it. For two days they kept calling (over loud speaker) for the person in the cabin next to me, and put 'notes' on her door. I never saw her. Maybe one of the no shows. I could tell you the cruise was horrid but I would be lieing. It actually was one of the best NCL cruises I have taken. Possibly because I did not book till Friday and had made no plans that fell thru. I did the 'Road To Hana' I have always wanted to do, I got up close and personal with the volcano, and cruised past it where the lava was going into the ocean (at night so the fire red was intense), puttered around at the other port stops. Loved the french fries (best on any cruise line I have been on), and the ice cream (Hawaii's own Roselani), and the jacuzzis. The pools were closed for most of the time (??? why ???). The pools were closed every evening (or day) and drained and cleaned (OSHA). The people who took care of the jacuzzis did a great job. The buffet food was pretty good to me, I tried to eat a lot of veggies, fish and fruit. Gained only 2 pds. The entertainment was 'classic' NCL. OK. No famous guests. We skirted most of the foul weather that was hanging around Hawaii. Fanning stop was the best I have ever seen (sorry...). Some rough weather on the way back, high winds so they closed the decks. One woman fell down the stairs and broke her leg. NEVER wear high heels on a ship! We did not have any propeller problems (as stated on a board message), we made all the ports on time. Some of the crew were good and some weren't . They will dump those when POAloha leaves. The worst were the room stewards. I think they were illiterate. I kept getting other peoples mail, bills, etc. I would tell the RS and they would just smile and say "yes mamm"... Weird! I gave up and trashed "OPM" (other peoples mail).

Some say this ship is up for sale ?

http://cruiseship.homestead.com/cruiseships.html

Hummm NCL said they were sending it off to Asia cruises. And they did say they might consider "renting" Fanning island stop to other cruise lines. They could stop there vs Christmas Island. Can't see it being the end of Fanning. That is one neat island.

Aloha

So wharf rat, you must have sailed with Snickers on your return.:) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Gulliver.:)

Yep. Snickers was the highlight of the cruise. We never got to see him as they kept him in an empty cabin (probably one of the no-shows due to ATA) but we got reports and pix every day.

And yes it was the Pride of ALoha.. So aloha to Snickers. And Gulliver we hope.

Archived